cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisted phone

phynes77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A while back I purchased a Samsung galaxy S6 from a guy and the phone worked for about 6 months and then suddenly stopped working. It says it is not registered on the network. I checked the device online to see if it was  blacklisted and it is.  How do I reverse the blacklisting to use my phone ?

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not just please...

3 (a) post, upload, publish, display, encode, reproduce, transmit or otherwise distribute and/or disseminate information or material on the Site: constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence

Everyone:  

Please, let's not discuss selling phones that have been reported lost or stolen.  If something is in fact stolen (doesn't matter that someone else did the possible theft), it is not legal to sell such merchandise to anyone or to anywhere.

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@phynes77 

It is an S6 so hopefully you got a good deal on it or you should have considering its now blacklisted. $20 a month to rent a phone isn't to bad as long as you didn't pay more than $120 for it. Always buyer beware on the second hand market.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I live not far from the Headquarters of the Toronto Police Service, and also the offices of the 51 and 52 Divisions. I'm not aware of any of them having such a "safe exchange" zone. But it's good to know other police agencies do offer such facility.

@softech wrote:

In GTA,  Peel Region Police stations have  Buy and Sell Safe Exchange Zones.  I think this should extend to police stations everywhere.  

No kidding?!?!?! That is very good to know! I never bought/sold anything more than $30-40 but for expensive things I would definitely suggest to seller/buyer to meet at police station.

@Meow wrote:

You might have positive experience going to other's people homes but I almost NEVER meet at my or other peoples' homes. You never know what might happened so I prefer neutral, public ground with a lot of people around.

In GTA,  Peel Region Police stations have  Buy and Sell Safe Exchange Zones.  I think this should extend to police stations everywhere.  

@barrascuk wrote:

@Meow 

Here is another article that supports what I said. 

https://www.roguevalleymessenger.com/things-you-can-do-with-a-blacklisted-iphone/

I have bought numerous second hand phones and one of my requirements is to buy at the sellers home. 

Thank you for links to articles.

You might have positive experience going to other's people homes but I almost NEVER meet at my or other peoples' homes. You never know what might happened so I prefer neutral, public ground with a lot of people around.

barrascuk

@Meow 

Here is another article that supports what I said. 

https://www.roguevalleymessenger.com/things-you-can-do-with-a-blacklisted-iphone/

I have bought numerous second hand phones and one of my requirements is to buy at the sellers home. 

@Meow   The blacklist database might be for Canadian wireless providers only

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

"which would prevent it from working on Canadian wireless networks"

barrascuk

@Meow 

Here is one article that negates what I said. 

https://www.getorchard.com/blog/cell-phone-blacklist/

@barrascuk wrote:

@phynes77 

Just FYI.  I believe a blacklisted phone will work in a country other than Canada. 

Interesting. So you are saying stolen and blacklistd phones in North America can be used in Europe and other parts of the world? Could you please provide some reference to this statement, just for my knowledge and understanding.

Moved:

removed discussion about selling phones that been reported as lost or stolen

barrascuk

@phynes77 

Just FYI.  I believe a blacklisted phone will work in a country other than Canada. 

@hTideGnow wrote:

Your only hope is that the person who sold you the phone was a good guy and he reported stolen by mistakes and you can contact him to reverse the stolen report or clear up his bill from his carrier.    Yes, it might be a tough run.

We do not know the background of the whole affair...

It cold be that 'original' owner realized his phone is missing and diligently reported it while 'the other guy' pocketed the money and disappeared.

Try to get a hold of a person you bought phone from. Good luck if it was from kijiji or similar source. But you never know...

Let us know how you handle this and of outcome.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@phynes77, you have been given lots of different advice can you please report back here when you get this resolved so we know what the outcome was.  As stated you may be able to get this cleared up but I don't think it will be an easy task.

Yes, it will be nice and good practice if people asking question WOULD come back and let the rest of us know what was the outcome. It IS helpful to know how issue has been resolved particularly in this case!

@phynes77, you have been given lots of different advice can you please report back here when you get this resolved so we know what the outcome was.  As stated you may be able to get this cleared up but I don't think it will be an easy task.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@phynes77...you best get shopping for a replacement cell phone...yours is a paperweight now.

Public Mobile has a selection of refurb'd units that come with a 1 year warranty. No worry about stolen or blacklisted either.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section#phone-start

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@phynes77   very likely you have to shop for a new phone.    there is really not much you can do.

Your only hope is that the person who sold you the phone was a good guy and he reported stolen by mistakes and you can contact him to reverse the stolen report or clear up his bill from his carrier.    Yes, it might be a tough run.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phynes77 : So you bought a used phone "from a guy". Hmm Good luck. I can see being surprised about blacklisting on a new phone. But not used.

Lorca

Sorry but you can’t reverse it. The person who sold you the phone has reported it lost or stolen.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@phynes77 wrote:

A while back I purchased a Samsung galaxy S6 from a guy and the phone worked for about 6 months and then suddenly stopped working. It says it is not registered on the network. I checked the device online to see if it was  blacklisted and it is.  How do I reverse the blacklisting to use my phone ?

@phynes77  - sorry to hear that! 😞

So the person you bought it from likely had not had it paid off, and the provider blacklisted it.

Do you know the provider this person was with?

OR, your number got inadvertently blacklisted. 

Does this info. help guide your next steps?

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-unlock-a-blacklisted-phone-1097265

Third party services may be able to help you (mentioned in above link).

Need Help? Let's chat.