cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Priv

CoderAndrew
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anyone see the absolutely bonkers pricing on this phone?

$899 CAD for this thing?!?! For the specs this is hardly a $1000 phone when all is said and done. Dumped all my Blackberry stock this morning at a LOSS lol!

Blackberry Priv Pre-Order

I had high hopes for this phone, but not at that sticker. Maybe I'll grab one when they have a fire sale to liquidate these.

14 REPLIES 14

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@deltatux, I could but it seems it's $100 more. Just keeping my options open.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@IWIK wrote:

I might have to get one, just to be clear if I buy one from Telus it will work no problems with PM right?

@IWIK, you can probably get it unlocked directly from BlackBerry just fine.

bilal
Considering the necessity for this model to succeed for blackberry's future, this was a non strategic move.

It should have been like the earlier nexus phones.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're right, and you can use it locked to Telus or Koodo.

Cheers.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I might have to get one, just to be clear if I buy one from Telus it will work no problems with PM right?

feasteyeson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This probably has something to do with the low Canadian Dollar.

But remember the BB Playbook, Z10, and Z30 price drops?

Just wait a year and it'll be down to <$400. I'll probably get the Priv at that time.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CoderAndrew yes, me too.  Unfortunately, I think it's price-prohibitive.  The config I would want is the $2,099 CDN + taxes version, and that's just not realistic for me at the moment.

I've actually had really good luck with Lenovo.  My current machine is a T510 I've had for over 5.5 years now and it keeps on ticking.  I swapped out the HDD for a 256GB SSD about a year and a half ago and did a clean install of Windows and that combination was night and day faster than before.  It still meets my needs fine, aside from being bulkier and heavier than I'd ideally like and maybe a higher res screen than my HD+.  Hence, my preference for Lenovo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CoderAndrew

Looks awesome! Personally I'd like to be able to afford the high end Surfacebook

srlawren

Yeah my lapto p is getting very long in the tooth.  Been eyeing up that new Lenovo Yoga 900 (the replacement for the Yoga Pro 3), very tempting!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CoderAndrew

@srlawren my sentiments exactly! Would have totally bought 1 or 2 of these if the price was right. $1K is not the right price for me. I'd sooner buy a laptop.

srlawren

@CoderAndrew yeah I had my eye on this one as well, as a long-time BlackBerry guy whom finally moved from a Z10 to a 2013 Moto X right at the end of 2014.  I'm loving Android but the idea of having that beautiful physical keyboard available, plus BB hub and so on, was alluring.  But not for that price.  I mean, it is pretty premium specs all around, and I was expecting it to be expensive, but that pricing is nuts.  Wait for the fire sale indeed.  There's so many good mid-to-high end Android phones available unlocked for much less.

Martin
Legend
Legend
@CoderAndrew,

Thank you very much for providing the link.

I truly believe that it was a regressive step in eliminating the blinking light from the 2015 Moto G.

Cheers.

CoderAndrew

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

I must say that the specs are impressive, but I'll stick with my 2013 Moto G phones, and 2015 Moto G unit (though it doesn't have a blinking light, and I wish that it did.)

HINT: If anyone can think of what to enable (clock, icon, etc.) to replace the missing, blinking light on a non-rooted phone, please post or private message me. Thanks in advance!

Martin
Need Help? Let's chat.