cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place to buy a used phone

marywaterman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm soon going to need to get a new phone. I want to stick with iphone, maybe looking at upgrading from my current SE to and 8 so it will last a few years and still be able to get updates. Any suggestions on sites you'd recommend for buying them at a fair price? I'm ok with used in good condition or refurb.

18 REPLIES 18

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Consider Ebay - should you receive the phone and is not in the condition as described then Ebay guarantees it and you may return it and receive a full refund.

In my case over the past few years, on seperate occasions, I had purchased 2 iPhones through Ebay and each to my surprise, had "Apple Care" warranty remaining. I felt that the phones had weak batteries and after visiting and complaining at Apple Store ( Fairview Mall). Instead of just replacing the batteries, in both cases, they replaced my phones with brand new ones.

Test the used phone with an active PM (or Telus or Koodo) SIM card before the deal is done. If it's carrier-locked then the original owner can get the carrier to unlock it free (assuming the device isn't still unpaid) or you'll have to pay $$ for an unlock on eBay.

Install something like iCopyBot on your PC and sync with the phone through USB cable... you'll be able to access advanced battery stats which will report the battery age and how many charge/discharge cycles are already logged on it.

You can buy replacement iPhone batteries (and other replacement iPhone parts) cheap on iFixit - they come with the necessary screwdrivers/tools, DIY video guides, and instructions.

If iPhone 8 launched 2 years ago and was discontinued last year then the device has to be 1-2 years old. 

vehementflame

I am updating my SE as I type to iOS 13. I purchased mine from ebay, and it came with a new battery. I was not looking for the newer iPhones, but I suspect you could find some reputable sellers with good warranty. I am very happy with my purchase there.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've bought phones from Kijiji and sold phones on Kijiji, Craiglist and Facebook Marketplace.  Usual warnings about buying and selling used goods and carrying large amounts of cash in public places.

jmuench

@marywaterman wrote:

I'm soon going to need to get a new phone. I want to stick with iphone, maybe looking at upgrading from my current SE to and 8 so it will last a few years and still be able to get updates. Any suggestions on sites you'd recommend for buying them at a fair price? I'm ok with used in good condition or refurb.

I have bought phones and many other devices off Kijiji - However, always meet and try the device, best to have your sim card to slip in and verify it all works.  I also check in the setting (for iPhone) the battery condition - it will tell you in % of original capacity.

DL888

Buy/Sell forum on Redflagdeals. They have seller rating/feedback which will give you some peace of mind. 

Lar

I bought my reconditioned moto g5 from Factory Direct and it's been fine. It came in the orginal Motorola box, manual and the battery holds a full charge so they may have replaced it. They also sell Iphone.   Cheers

GGPlayer

You know kijiji, right?

tehowennathe

I haven't bought a used phone in a while. Been getting new affordable amazing phones from Canadian company JP Mobiles. Their website is www.jpmobiles.ca They bring in phones that are popular in other markets that use exact bands as in Canada. They all come with a 1 year warranty. Very happy with their service. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Koodo is selling brand new iPhone7 32GB for $500. Wait until Black Friday and you will likely be able to get a Walmart or similar gift card. Could be as much as $200. I am also taking into consideration the new Koodo cancel next day policy. 

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Similar to EBay you can try LetGo. Ive been there for about 6 months now, met with countless people, and the transactions and quality has been great!

• Do your do diligience
  • Make sure they have quite a few photos of the phone
  • You can also ask for the imei # (unique idenifier of each phone)

luke11992

I like to recommend Facebook marketplace. You can generally gauge on there if the person is a good seller based on their ratings. 

jimbobs

If you buy older models of iPhone, you can pick them up pretty inexpensively.  For example, Factory Direct is currently selling iPhone 7 for $320 and iPhone 6 (16GB) for as low as $180. Check them out here: https://www.factorydirect.ca/products/iphones-3

Main thing about buying older/used is to remember that they may be new to you but they are old and used. So battery life might be an issue but it can be easily replaced.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@marywatermanI would suggest hold off on purchasing another phone if software updates is your only worry. iPhone 6 or older will not be receiving iOS 13 due to be released soon. However no word on iPhone 6s or SE and newer for the version after that, it is usually annouced during the annual developer conference in July.

If you want to purchase an iPhone 8 with a good deal, I still think it is better to upgrade to Koodo as they offer a phone for about $400-500 (based on small tab etc) and during seasons like back to school and black friday retailers like Best Buy offers $200-300 gift certificates, so it works out better than buying used.

wingin

I would wait for Black Friday to get some good deals on phone. It's so expensive nowadays! I don't use iphone so not sure where to buy one other than apple store, bestbuy, etc. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@marywaterman wrote:

@marywaterman Checkout eBay the have a couple of highly rated cdn sellers that sell used. Make sure condition is 9 and above. Also check out B&H online they are in the US but ship to Canada and offer a good warranty.

Good luck!

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@marywaterman , I would not recommend getting a used phone.  The biggest issue with phones these days is the difficulty if replacing the battery.  Batteries last about 3 years, 4 tops.  I find Amazon to be an option.  

Need Help? Let's chat.