cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Phone App?

DanAR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As a noob, I'm still trying to get the most out of my phone.  I'm using the standard android 9 phone app on my Moto G phone.  I've seen different looking screens on tv drama shows that look cool.  Is theer one or more better phone apps that I could/should try?

15 REPLIES 15

DanAR

Thanks for this.

payammasjedi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I recommend using Google Phone app (on Google play it's called Phone in the Google LLC channel) and by far, it's very good. It also has a spam alert system that will notify you if a call is spam or suspicious. There's also a security tab notifier that tells you the caller could be spam.

My favorite feature is that if you want to make sure, there's an AI answering machine that tries to know if they're legit and you can pickup after.

But if you're using iOS, Truecaller is good app, although I paid for the premium and it's ad-free and useful.

DanAR

Thanks for the education. 😃

Will dig deeper into launchers.

DanAR

Wow! a lot of detail.

Thanks muchly 😃

ctbmacdonald
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For a launcher, I tend to use Lean Launcher.  It's great on battery life, doesn't have a lot of fluff and it's FREE with no ads or more stuff to buy.  Nova is good too, but I find the load time is a bit slow when you have widgets.

Widgets can make your phone look cool with weather, media player and calendar.  If you are not worried about batter life, GO NUTS!!!! hehe.

Look for icon packs as well.  They can change your look without battery drain.  Having a black background with neon blue icons is really crisp.

For customization, ZEDGE is great!  Backgrounds, lock screens, sounds and ringtones.  I would install Zedge, customize what you need and uninstall it unless you want to keep customizing it every few days.

There are lots of add-ins for android like side menus where you can slide from the sides and create wheel menus.  This can keep your home screen open for you background and widgets and keep your apps out of sight and easy to get to.

Just remember, the more you add, the less life you will get.  I had an Acer Liquid Zest Plus.  Out of the box, I was getting 2.5 days of batter life with moderate usage.  After a few widgets, enhancement apps and side menus, it took it down to about 12 hours.

Add a screenshot when you get it the way you like it.  I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Good luck!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

@DanAR 

what’s this Nova launcher all about

@fdrcamb519 it's a home screen & launcher replacement with a boat load of customizability.  Try searching YouTube for "nova launcher" and you will find a wealth of info.  Here's a good starter from what I can see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKWXUsqtZo

Nova Launcher is free, though there is a paid version that gives you more features, called Nova Prime.  Here's a good tutorial on getting the most from Nova Prime (some of this stuff applies to free Nova as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sMyF3vK9M

EDIT: I should add: I discovered Nova shortly after moving from BlackBerry devices (last was a Z10 running BB10--was a nice OS at the time!) to Android (started with a 1st gen Moto X), and have been using it ever since now 3 devices later (OnePlus 3, then OnePlus 5T, now OnePlus 7).  I've also installed it for family members and configured it for them.  One nice feature there is you can lock the layout so that you can't accidentally drag or remove apps without intentionally doing so, which is great for less technically inclined family members (e.g. my mother and uncle).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DanAR 

what’s this Nova launcher all about

DanAR

Even more reason to check it out . Thanks

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

Android is famous for customizability.  I would say one of best phone apps is nova launcher.  

I second the Nova launcher.  It saves time during switching to new phone and keeping the same screen arrangement.

DanAR

Thanks very much.  I'll check that out.

DanAR

Thanks. I never noticed the logos.  I'll have to look closer and be more critical.

DanAR

Thanks.

I suppose the grass is always greener.😃

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Android is famous for customizability.  I would say one of best phone apps is nova launcher.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanAR wrote:

I've seen different looking screens on tv drama shows that look cool. 

It's no coincidence that we see the Windows logo or the Apple logo or even someone doing a process on said screen to show us all how to do something or that it can be done on this product. That's all paid-for product placement. Or a Sony Pictures production with Sony logos all over the place.

I often keep an eye out for the screen or back just to see what product it is. Not being influenced of course 🙂 . Or covered/blacked out logos where apparently the manufacturer didn't want to pay.

I remember Hawaii Five-O episodes with Windows phones. MS stopped making Windows phones.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I find native apps usually work best and have the least headaches, best connection, drain the least battery, freeze the least. It's just smoother to use the native one. Unless it's seriously lacking something I would stick with it.

Need Help? Let's chat.