cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery only lasts 21 days

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Okay so my battery in my samsung galaxy 7 only lasts 21 days. From 100% down to 0% (Doesn't turn off but its beeping/flashing low battery) I have cellular data, bluetooth, NFC, location and wireless turned off already. I also disabled the touch when screen off and face recognize. I disabled / removed all the samsung apps. This is my 2nd phone in my glovesbox just on to receive or make emergency calls. Is there any way I can improve my battery to get more so I can forget about it? I know you don't want to let it die by getting to 0% so I have been charging it around 30% which means I have to charge it like every 2 weeks. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Leaving the phone in your glovebox would mean there would be lots of temperature variation especially in winter, as the phone/car goes constantly from cold to warm. I realize it's not as practical, but bringing your emergency phone in and out of the car with you would keep it at a more consistent temperature, and may help battery performance.

typrest
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The Samsung Galaxy S7 has a Max Power Saving mode that allows the battery to last very long periods of time. Go to settings, Device Maintenance, Battery and select Max. It makes the phone functions very limited but reduces the battery usage greatly. You will still be able to send and receive calls.

ute1978

21 days??

I am happy if I get through the day with my old iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

Sounds like everyone is envious of your battery life...as I am. Anyway; how about leaving phone plugged in whilst it's in the glove box ? Wire is small enough shouldn't be a problem, I'd reckon.

Hmm. Closed space? Battery fire? 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like everyone is envious of your battery life...as I am. Anyway; how about leaving phone plugged in whilst it's in the glove box ? Wire is small enough shouldn't be a problem, I'd reckon.

Wow 21 days and want more.  My phone is only a year old and I am charging during the day if I have a heavy use day if not it is still every day.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wow, color me envious here.  I have to charge daily, sometimes every other day.  I haven't had 7 days of battery life since the Sony w810i.  BTW, it's not a good idea to run a battery to zero and then charge it to 100%.  That produces a lot of battery wear.

Dunkgirl

@computergeek541 wrote:

With winter coming up, I would say it would be a good idea to take the phone inside with you when you're not in the car. Prolonged expsure to very cold weather could cause permanent damage.  Even if it weren't for that, the battery isn't going to work well when cold.

@computergeek541It is miliatry grade spec, MIL-STD-810G so it shouldn't be an issue. I did a lot of research before buying it.

@Anonymous wrote:If it's just sitting waiting then maybe turn off the cell radio as well ie airplane mode. Turn it on when you need it.

@Anonymous I want to keep it on to receive emergency calls to be able to see if I missed one. Rogers used to send a text message if you missed a call while the device was off. A soon as it came back on it would say all the calls you missed while it was off. I think it was called 'missed call notification' or ...

@RobertQc wrote:

that should give you months of standby power.

@RobertQcThis is perfect I never considered it. External battery. Thanks!

@SD08Sorry I should have specified I had the active not the base model but thanks for sharing Woman LOL

21 days standby and you'e not happy with that?  That actually very, verry good.  Even though you have must things turned off in your phone, you're still connected to the network and the phone is still powered up. The only way you're going to get more time without needing a charge will be to turn the device off.  You could keep an extenral battery pack with the phone or a car charging adapter. 

With winter coming up, I would say it would be a good idea to take the phone inside with you when you're not in the car. Prolonged expsure to very cold weather could cause permanent damage.  Even if it weren't for that, the battery isn't going to work well when cold.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunkgirl

If you mean the S7, I have the same phone, which I bought in Nov 2016. It gets light to moderate use: E-mail, surfing, photos/screenshots, various apps, googling, light texting, light social media, occasional GPS, but no music, very little video, no gaming.  The longest I've ever made it last is 7 days going down to near 0%. These days, I usually let it run down to 40% before charging, and that 60% usually lasts me three days on average. The same usage and charge pattern used to last me four days, so it has degraded somewhat. Obviously, I'm using mine for a different purpose, but I just thought I'd share that anyway, since we likely have the same phone.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Dunkgirl21 days thats really good, but maybe not good for being only on standby. GSM arena doesn't give a stanby hour rating, but says your battery is 3,000MAH, You could buy this https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/anker-powercore-20100-20000mah-ultra-high-capacity-portable-cha...? its 20,000MAH and just leave the phone plugged into it in your glovebox. I know 20,000 is less than what you would get, but even if it does half after DC / charging loss that should give you months of standby power.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Okay so my battery in my samsung galaxy 7 only lasts 21 days. From 100% down to 0% (Doesn't turn off but its beeping/flashing low battery) I have cellular data, bluetooth, NFC, location and wireless turned off already. I also disabled the touch when screen off and face recognize. I disabled / removed all the samsung apps. This is my 2nd phone in my glovesbox just on to receive or make emergency calls. Is there any way I can improve my battery to get more so I can forget about it? I know you don't want to let it die by getting to 0% so I have been charging it around 30% which means I have to charge it like every 2 weeks. Thanks

Wow. 3 weeks. I'm lucky to get a couple days of very little use. 'Course my phone is like 5 years old now.

If it's just sitting waiting then maybe turn off the cell radio as well ie airplane mode. Turn it on when you need it.

Need Help? Let's chat.