cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery issues after switchover

bentwrench
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Switched 2 phones over two weeks ago both worked flawlessly an A50 and an A20

Immediately after the switch the A20 battery was low by dates end ,normally lasted 2 day -

Very minimal use0p

No comes up charging issues some time need to shut phone off to take a charge

Other phone A50 works fine

Only idea I can think of is possible faulty sim card

Previous carrier was Telus so using same towers as before

Any test for the sim card

16 REPLIES 16

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I use an app called greenify to shut off background apps I don't use that often but do need them like my banking as an example.

Android for some dumb reason is designed to keep things running always so that opening them is faster. But imagine a windows pc with all your programs not closed but only minimized to your toolbar - that's basically how android works. It can start to feel clogged after a while. Even if you close an app it still runs in the background needlessly using battery. Greenify takes care of this for me. I like things to run when *I* want them to run, not just always like default design

I've gone a step further and rooted my devices and even have system apps that normally run always greenified/hibernated like say the calculator or memo. Root allows you to totally remove system apps too (like say Microsoft trials etc that you'll never need) saving space and battery! *but* this is advanced and definitely wouldn't recommend trying that part on a whim. I did much research on it first! It was on me if I bricked my device in the process

I get 2 or even 3 days out of my galaxy s7 battery with light-moderate usage after those tweaks. 

But even without rooting, hibernating user installed apps you don't use often like games or banking or shopping will save battery for sure. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bentwrench  The only explanation would be that your phone was being upgraded or performing a backup/restore or your battery is getting old. Definately not a PM issue.

@bentwrench try putting the a50 sim card in the a20 and testing it. you could be right that the sim currently in the a20 has lower signal quality causing more battery drain.

I would also try a network reset 

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm

This will delete your wifi passwords and you will need to re-enter them again

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bentwrench 

Install AccuBattery app and run it for a few days to determine the capacity left on your battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery&hl=en_CA

bentwrench

No new apps 

Dissalowed permition to most apps

First charge after switchover phone would not charge at all until it was shut off 

Might have to call samsung

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sounds like coincidence. Any new apps running? Apps running that you are unaware? Are you using the phone more since changing to PM. I can not think why changing cell providers would have an affect on the battery if everything  else is the same.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire
@bentwrench

Is your phone always looking for the Public Mobile network since you switched over? Some times looking for networks can drain a battery quickly. Also, if you have an AMOLED screen switching to dark mode will save your battery.

Have you downloaded any recent apps that you didn't have before switching, some apps are heaving in the background and will draw lots of energy from your battery.

As far as my research, I couldn't find anything about a faulty SIM causing battery drain. Unless I am missing something, I didn't see that as a possibility.

Cheers

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@bentwrench Try the phone with PM sim in Airplane mode, then, try the same but with Other Sim. Probably, the numbers of "life" hours will be same. Then try phone without Airplane with other Sim. Compare with how long your phone lives with PM Sim without Airplane. If numbers are also same, and they are low, then the problem is in your battery.

However, very rarely, the problem maybe in the software. Did your phone downloaded any updates recently? I remember back in 2014, my J1 updated itself, and after that, phone started dying very fast until they released another update that solved their bug in previous update.

bentwrench

just tried old sim on airplane mode 

When to fast charge instantly without shutting phone off 

We will see how fast it draws down after it charges thanks

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Batteries have limited charge cycles and over time will no longer hold a charge for very long.  You could try swapping the battery.  If you are able to take your phone to a phone repair shop for them to check your battery.

fdrcamb519

@bentwrench 

Switching providers, would not cause battery drainage, it’s just a coincidence, possibly you are using your phone more without even noticing.

bentwrench

sorry for spelling 

By days end

BearFBI

@bentwrench Seems like a battery issue. A SIM card wouldn't drain battery. The phone does talk to the cell network and that takes up battery but that shouldn't cause problems all of the sudden. If you want you can leave your phone on airplane mode and turn wifi on and test your battery. If you get the same results or similar then its a phone issue.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@bentwrench To test the cards switch them in the phones. Also, check to see what apps may be draining your battery on the s20. Welcome to PM. Stay safe .

brettster99

@bentwrench 

I doubt its A SIM issue because the only correlation it has to the battery is that its reciveing celluar signal from tower. And since you have another phone I doubt it.

But you could try taking the sim card out of the A20 into the A50 and see if that makes a difference or contact a moderator  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bentwrench          hi just a coincidence must be a battery issue not a sim issue

Need Help? Let's chat.