cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Battery doesn't hold a charge?

I concur with @koimr1 completely.  Charge it forever before using it is way old-school thinking and doesn't apply well to modern Li-Po or Li-On batteries.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Conditioning the battery of a new phone buy fully charging and then discharging for at least three cycles will give you better performance throughout the life of the battery. This was especially true for Nickle Metal Hydride batteries, but is also true for lithium ion. Also, once fully charged you should remove from the power source.

Mayor / Maire

@Chess_Expert wrote:

Conditioning the battery of a new phone buy fully charging and then discharging for at least three cycles will give you better performance throughout the life of the battery. This was especially true for Nickle Metal Hydride batteries, but is also true for lithium ion. Also, once fully charged you should remove from the power source.

@Chess_Expert that conditioning is actually quite harmful for a modern Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer battery.  It is very harmful to them to discharge them all the way, and in fact the experts tell you not to charge them to 100% either.  That last part may be true but I presonally ignore and almost always charge mine to 100% because, well, I need that juice while I'm away from the charger!  But discharging completely is very hard on Lithium batteries.  Don't bother, don't do it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

There is some tips that could save the battery life for your reference:

1) Use Low Power Mode

2) Restrict Unimportant Notifications

3) Turn off Wi-fi if You Don't Need It

4) Do not Activate Location Service

5) Lower Screen Brightness

6) Limit Background Refresh for Applications

7) Tighten Up Auto-Lock the shortest period for your device, namely 30 seconds.

Actually, increasing battery life for Android Phone is not such a difficult thing as you think. To make your device run for a longer time, you only need to adjust some settings of your device like reducing the brightness of screen, disabling wireless network, quitting background software and so on.

Gee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is true, you shouldn't condition your battery and never let it drain completely.  As soon as it hits, 30%, pop it in the charger.  I sgguest you try to top off as often as possible during the day.
@srlawren 

conditioning is actually quite harmful for a modern Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer battery.  It is very harmful to them to discharge them all the way, and in fact the experts tell you not to charge them to 100% either.  
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's fine to leave your phone charging overnight. You've got some type of L-ION battery in your phone, and they're smart enough to stop charging. It was the old nickel cadmium batteries that would be damaged. 

But your phone can get quite warm from charging and too much of that can shorten battery life, so if you're going to leave it on the charger overnight, might want to take the case off of it first.

Oracle

@Chanah wrote:

It's fine to leave your phone charging overnight. You've got some type of L-ION battery in your phone, and they're smart enough to stop charging. It was the old nickel cadmium batteries that would be damaged. 

But your phone can get quite warm from charging and too much of that can shorten battery life, so if you're going to leave it on the charger overnight, might want to take the case off of it first.

While lithium ion batteries don't have memory effects like nickel cadmium batteries, they have different issues.  Deep cycling reduces their capacity significantly.  On my phones that have root, I run an app called battery charge limit which won't let a battery go below 40%, but I limit charge to 90%.  This is a compromise to reduce battery wear with each charge cycle. 

It's a good idea to actually let your li-on battery run down completely once in a while. 

Be sure not to leave it for too long once it's in that state though! 

@Oldtimer102 wrote:

It's a good idea to actually let your li-on battery run down completely once in a while. 

Be sure not to leave it for too long once it's in that state though! 

I disagree with you.  Running down a lithium ion battery is terrible for the life span of the battery.  I know that doing it occassionally it's going to make a significant difference, but running it down will shorten the lifespan.

The only reason I can think of is battery calibration with the device so that the battery meter in the phone can report an accurate percentage.  My opinion is that the actual calibration doesn't improve the battery life at all, but just helps to prevent situations similar to what I've seen before where a battery goes from 100% down to 1% remaining in a short period of time but then gets stuck at 1% left for hours more of usage.