cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Battery doesn't hold a charge?

@srlawren well, not Blackberry, OnePlus, Samsung, Google or Motorola

They all use AMOLED in every midrange to high end phone

I mean c'mon my disdain for Apple is well known so I am not surprised they are using last gen tech in their flagships and selling for higher prices

Mayor / Maire

@kav2001cI prefer AMOLED over IPS too but each has strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT: and of course, like you, I think I'm pretty consistently on record in my community posts that I much prefer Android and am not a fan of iOS/iPhone.  That said, I do think they are very nice devices, they just don't fit well for me personally.  For the folks that they work for, they work wonderfully.  To each their own!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

I have s6 edge plus I think battery get less life by charging overtime and Android system have bug sometime as well I mean when I was on 5.1.1 my battery was awesome since I upgraded to 6.0.1 battery life got really bad and also I notice charging frequently also abuse the battery as well
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Charging Suggestions: Plug your phone in to charge and leave it to charge until full. Charging it here and there for a little boost isn't as effective or healthy for your battery life. Also, don't charge it and use it at the same time, especially for phone calls, as it can overheat and damage your battery, especially if done repeatedly and consistently. 

Maybe these tips will help. Also, I personally use a battery monitor app on my Android because it keeps an eye on temp and usage and charging. It also helps avoid having to recalibrate the device to the battery, cause I've had that happen to me before too and the phone wont recognize how much battery power you actually have and mislead you with the wrong % of battery power. 

Mayor / Maire

MzBlackPearl wrote:

Charging Suggestions: Plug your phone in to charge and leave it to charge until full. Charging it here and there for a little boost isn't as effective or healthy for your battery life.

@MzBlackPearl sorry but this actually isn't true anymore.  Modern lithium-based batteries actually like to get topped up and don't have a memory effect.  

MzBlackPearl wrote:

Also, don't charge it and use it at the same time, especially for phone calls, as it can overheat and damage your battery, especially if done repeatedly and consistently. 

@MzBlackPearl phone calls aren't really that intense in terms of heating up a phone.  If you're worried about heat damage, then maybe avoid more intense things like playing games.  Or, even better, get a OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, or the upcoming OnePlus 5.  They all feature OnePlus' proprietary [well, it's based on sister company Oppo's properitary system] "Dash Charge" system.  While it's annoyingly proprietary (only works using both the charging brick AND cable from OnePlus), it is very fast, and more importantly, barely heats up the phone at all while charging.  They moved most of the electronics for the charging into the power brick (the part you plug into the wall), so it heats up instead of your device.  Bonus!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Uggh. Have been using an HTC One M8 and the battery issues are definitely annoying.  Still learning Android after slowly trying to transition off BB10.  Just need to learn the nuances and hopefully get longer battery life.  My Z30 would last 20-30 hours no problem. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The blackberries were infamous for having amazing battery life, it will be hard to compare them to android phones unfortuantely, i don't think i've ever had a phone that had as good battery life as my old school batteries.

I find the thing that saves me the most battery is always ensuring certain apps that either refresh or refresh with geolocation (such as weather apps) are the ones that can make the most difference.

I would look into any of those apps that use some form of tracking and disable how often they refresh or don't give them permissions at all to track you automatically

A battery can be a pretty cheap replacement and an easy DIY if you are inclined.

That with a complete factory reset that deletes everything is like getting a new phone,

A master reset is something I would every few months. And say no to everything from Google and apps requesting to use anything like data location etc.

I want to share something interesting with those who are planning to buy a new phone.  My father bought me a present Asus Zenfone 4 Max last weekend.  He is an engineer and understands the way batteries work better than an average person.  He advised me to put phone to charge right out of the box, without powering it on, and charge it for 3 days straight!  He said that batteries have tendency to memorize the amount of charge they were at during the very first use, and take it as 100%, even if it's actually only 65% or so.  And, there is no such a thing as overcharging a battery.  It may get hot if apps are running during charge.  Zenfone already has 5000 mAh battery, but after I charged it for 3 days straight, it's a 3rd day of use now and it isn't 50% yet.  But if you miss it and start using your new phone out of impatience, the battery will memorize first initial charge and always display it to no matter what app as 100%.  Apps designed by people who have basic understanding how batteries work, they only can do programming.  And battery designers do not have programming skills as to Android apps.  Therefore, there is always a discrepancy.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rzhevskii2000wrote:

I want to share something interesting with those who are planning to buy a new phone.  My father bought me a present Asus Zenfone 4 Max last weekend.  He is an engineer and understands the way batteries work better than an average person.  He advised me to put phone to charge right out of the box, without powering it on, and charge it for 3 days straight!  He said that batteries have tendency to memorize the amount of charge they were at during the very first use, and take it as 100%, even if it's actually only 65% or so.  And, there is no such a thing as overcharging a battery.  It may get hot if apps are running during charge.  Zenfone already has 5000 mAh battery, but after I charged it for 3 days straight, it's a 3rd day of use now and it isn't 50% yet.  But if you miss it and start using your new phone out of impatience, the battery will memorize first initial charge and always display it to no matter what app as 100%.  Apps designed by people who have basic understanding how batteries work, they only can do programming.  And battery designers do not have programming skills as to Android apps.  Therefore, there is always a discrepancy.

Note: My first post and edit was "rejected" - not sure what that all means so writing again...

I would respectfully disagree. Modern phones use lithium-ion batteries and aren't subject to the "charge memory" that NiCad and NiMH batteries had - well, technically I believe they do but nowhere near the same as the previous tech.

Heat from charging is probably the biggest "wear" on a battery. Lithium-ion batteries will have a circuit to shut off charging when topped up anyway so three days just adds unnecessary heat (as there will be minor parasitic discharges and subsequent charging).

Both my wife and I have Zenfone 3 Zoom phones that have 5000mAh batteries as well - and with ours we have beefier, more power-sucking CPUs too and still after full two days I'm left around 40% (I usually charge then) whereas wife reaches that point earlier in the second day depending on how many cat videos have been posted to Facebook. So your life is probably due to the stingier CPU and just by having a relatively large-capacity battery.

Here's a good link: How to Charge and When to Charge

Note the "How should I prepare a new battery" part.

Is your father perhaps thinking of NiCad and NiMH batteries?

For the part you say about "the battery will memorize first initial charge and always display it to no matter what app as 100%" can you clarify? I've never heard that before.