cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Text Messages failing 50% of time.

RiverCity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All,

New customer. Did not port number over. Using Samsung G386W which is compatible. Android 4.4.2

Half my texts are failing? Not mms, just basic. 3 out of 4 bars for signal strength.

Also not receiving half of the texts being sent to me.

$15 plan, unlimited text and 100 talk minutes with free incoming calls. Phone calls are fine.

Any help would be appreciated .. TIA 

14 REPLIES 14

RiverCity

Thanks to you all for your helpful responses. My texts are now being sent and received fully at this present time. I tried all your potential solutions so I can't be sure which individual one did the trick. It's good to know as a new customer there is so many nice knowledgeable people here who are willing to help. I hope one day to learn enough to return the favour for someone else in need.

Cheers!

Stay Safe ... Stay Well

@RiverCity Try force closing your text app and restart your phone.  Wait 30 seconds and restart it.  Stay safe. 

@RiverCity 

You could just have a bad connection to the network. Turn airplane mode on. Wait 5 min. Turn airplane mode off. If you haven't rebooted your phone lately do that first then employ airplane mode. This will re-establish a better connection to the network and may solve your issue.

@RiverCity have you tried any other troubleshooting from the earlier replies?

resetting your network settings?

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm

to update android go into settings>about phone>check system update

RiverCity

So you raise a interesting question. Unlike most phone users. I use my phone for texts and calling. I don't do banking, nor music or much else. The only time I use the internet is when I need the gps or update the weather page. My security is set for automatic updates and it tells me I am up to date. I am "computer savvy" on a desktop but no very little when it comes to my phone internet. How does one go about updating android versions?

As for my original problem it still exists. I have manually cleared most old texts but even before that I had 10+GB of space. I have no apps installed, just whatever was on the Samsung phone pre-loaded... Thanks

@RiverCity  if your phone is full of messages that could be the cause. I'm not sure how much storage you have on your phone?

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@RiverCity, another way if you don't want to lose your text messages is you can back-it-up onto Google Drive?

This all hinges on an Android app called SMS Backup & Restore, which you can get for free from Google Play. With it, you can back up your text messages to: 

• Dropbox, 
  • Google Drive,
  • or email account, or even all three of those services

This way, when you update or upgrade Android and come over to the Public Mobile after porting over, you can enable the back-ups and your text messages should be there. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@RiverCity You account set up may not be completed yet? 

What you could do is reset your phone. 

Reset Public Mobile as the network. Go into network settings, choose a different network, it will fail. Then go back and choose Public Mobile network. 

@RiverCity  Clear data will wipe them so don't do that step if you want to retain your conversations.

Also consider upgrading your device as that version of Android is old and a security risk.

RiverCity

Works fine with my Koodo plan. same phone. could it maybe have something to do with me not outright cancelling Koodo? I really don't want to wipe out all my conversations. Tks

@RiverCity 

A few other things to try:

1. reboot phone

2. network reset

3. Toggle airplane mode on, then off

You could also try the PM SIM card in another phone.  To help determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  

@RiverCity yes it will

RiverCity

Thank you. Question: Will that wipe out all my text conversations?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RiverCity try clearing the cache/storage for your messaging app

• open your settings menu
  • tap on apps
  • tap on your messaging app
  • tap clear cache and clear data
  • restart and test

Need Help? Let's chat.