cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barely any service since switching from OnePlus 5T to Samsung A51

tabbitatt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in an area where cell service should be great.  All my friends on their different carriers have no problems, then theres me.  I had a OnePlus 5t and maybe got 2-4 bars of service.  I just switched to a Samsung A51 and now I have no bars and still can make and receive calls but they are dropping too.  Any idea what is going on?

27 REPLIES 27

ctbmacdonald

Samsung has a good set of tips for troubleshooting:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001598/

I also would try your phone in different places.  See if it's an over-all issue or just around your area.  My daughter has an S10+ and I have a Redmi Note 6 Pro.  I have better signal in my apartment when she sits next to me and we are both on PM.  She doesn't lose calls or have data issues, but I have a better measured signal strength.

Take off any accessories you may have... cases, wireless charging adapters, antenna booster, etc.  Get it down to as factory as you can.  If you bought it used, open the back cover and see if there is anythign stuck to the inside of the cover.

Good luck.

You should routinely restart you phone from time to time. My Sony reminds me if I haven't done it in a week or so.

@cellphoneuser1 absolutely. Restarting is actually better in case the phone's software is stuck in an unusual state. A restart will reboot the operating system and perform a detach + attach with the network.

@sheytoon 

Wouldn't restarting the phone be just as good? More people would know how to do that.

@sheytoon 

Lol....yes I realize that I just got in the habit of giving a time period of 5 min. It's almost like saying go make a cup of tea, check the mail, smell the roses......disconnect for five minutes and every thing will be ok once you reconnect.......except in the OP's case.

@darlicious there's no need to wait 5 mins once airplane mode is enabled. Network disconnection is performed in less than a second. You can re-attach immediately and it will have the same effect.

@shep22 if you force your phone to GSM only, you will not have any service on PM.

@tabbitatt 

Public mobile is on the bell/telus network with the most comprehensive network coverage in Canada. There are not a lot of areas that don't have good reception unless it topographical features like deep valleys or very remote locations. Arplane mode will usually fix any problems with poor call quality, reception or dropped calls as well as missed calls and texts messages or texts not sending or getting recieved.

tabbitatt

airplane mode did nothing

tabbitatt

with my previous phone I had issues but didnt think I could message here about it.  I just thought I lived in an area that doesnt have good reception.  Turns out thats not true

@tabbitatt 

Put your phone in airplane mode for 5 min. Take it out of airplane mode.  This disconnects you completely from the network and re-establishes a new connection with the network. Make some test calls.....has your connection improved?

@tabbitatt 

What happens when you put the SIM card in another working phone?  Ie. the previous Oneplus5T or another phone.  Is the connection better again?

As you wait for moderator, If it is phone issue, then you could try a factory reset.  

tabbitatt

Done, fingers crossed they can do something

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tabbitatt wrote:

How do I message a mod?

@tabbitatt click on the? Bottom right hand corner Ask Simon to speak to a human this will help create a ticket to speak to a moderator       check the envelope top right corner for a reply response time is 2 to 48 hours

@tabbitatt

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a message

tabbitatt

How do I message a mod?

@tabbitatt no you won't lose your number, but don't purchase a new sim. just message moderators to see if they can fix it or see what the issue is

@tabbitatt wrote:

I only have LTE/3G/2G, 3G/2G, 3Gonly, 2Gonly.  The first one is selected

Use LTE/3G/2G.  For data, LTE is better.  The phone will automatically drop to 3G for phone calls.  

@gpixel wrote:

change pass,sim,number.jpeg

@tabbitatt maybe your sim is causing the bad reception. talk to customer support to see if they will send you a new SIM card or fix your network. you can change to a new SIM in your self serve account

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a message

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

SIM card does not affect signal strength.  It is merely there to authenticate a connection to the network.  From feedback provided, there is no issues with authentication.  So replacing the SIM card will not do much to resolve the problem.  

tabbitatt

I wont lose my phone number will I?

change pass,sim,number.jpeg

@tabbitatt maybe your sim is causing the bad reception. talk to customer support to see if they will send you a new SIM card or fix your network. you can change to a new SIM in your self serve account

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

tabbitatt

Did this again and no it didnt change or improve

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@tabbitatt reset your network settings as @Dunkman said

Android Samsung reset network:
1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm

4. Restart

OnePlus

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

tabbitatt

I only have LTE/3G/2G, 3G/2G, 3Gonly, 2Gonly.  The first one is selected

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tabbitatt My phone(an old Samsung S3) has 4 Network modes. It was set, by default, on "LTE/WCDMA/GSM", so I switched it to "WCDMA/GSM", which bumped up the strength. There's also "WCDMA only", and "GSM only", so out of curiosity, I clicked on "GSM only", and WHAT a difference - I usually get 1 bar at home, and a signal strength of about -115, and when I dropped it down to "GSM only", I got 3 or 4 bars, and a strength of about -85!!!

tabbitatt

Nope, also mention I tried both sim card slots and no improvement on either

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@tabbitatt 

Public Mobile uses Telus/Bell towers so coverage is usually fine. 

Try rebooting phone or network reset. 

Need Help? Let's chat.