cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad signal from my condo - solution?

TrialAndErrors
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am living in an high rise building just in front of downsview airport (1060 sheppard av west north york) and the communication can just drop randomly there for me.

I have just bought a new phone (zenfone 3) and it doesn t help. I have also switch my parameters to 3G instead of 4G and it doesn t help much. 

Is there any solution? Can you install an new antenna for me there? Do you have any signal amplifier to advice?

Thank you for your help

10 REPLIES 10

Nevantech
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You could get a cell booster like this one. I'm also considering one because I live in a condo with bad service.

@TrialAndErrors

Unfortunately it's out of Telus' control. Sites are owned by Bell in the GTA. So you'll need to convince Bell to install a new site or buy an expensive repeater like Cel-Fi or similar.

Final option is to look at the coverage maps that others have shared, to see if it makes sense to switch to Rogers/Fido or Freedom.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawrenwrote:

@koimr1wrote: 

However if OP doesn't have that version then yes - one will probably want to return it and get something that has band 4.

@koimr1 band 4 is relatively high frequency, so may actually work against you in a concrete building.  If band 5 is available in your area, at 850Hz it has a much lower frequency and should do better at penetrating barriers such as walls.  

Agreed! I really meant the band 4 thing in general in case it's his phone that's the problem - the other models don't have that band and he'll have problems in a lot of places if that's the case.

He's pretty much surrounded by towers (with most having 700MHz and 850MHz) including one less than a km from his building (assuming the map is accurate, of course) so I would think he'd have excellent coverage - but then, as you say, his building could be the problem. Just trying to eliminate the phone as the problem first as it's easier to replace a phone then towers and buildings. 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TrialAndErrors one thing you could do is download the Telus Network Experience app (for Android or iPhone) and report the signal issue from your home.  Maybe try mentioning it to your neighbours as you run into them in the elevator, lobby, underground.  If Telus get a sufficient volume of reports for the same location, you may get some action.  Worth a try, anyway.

EDIT: I'd be curious if the app works for you.  I know it *used to* work for me on Public Mobile, but I hadn't used it in ages.  I just installed it now to have another look, and it's not letting me in with my Koodo SIM.  Maybe they've updated it to exclude 2nd and 3rd tier clients now.  My apologies for the bum-steer, if that's the case.

RE-Edit:  it works fine.  I forgot I had my data connection set to my Fido SIM instead of my Koodo SIM.  If anyone does want to try to use the NetExp app to report network issues to Telus, you should be able to just fine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The carriers do regularly review coverage problem areas and do try to make improvements over time, but those improvements can sometimes take years before anything is done to improve the signal at a particular location.

Some phones do have better signal properties than others.  You can try a few different ones to see if you can find one that is good enough for use there.  Other than that, if Public Mobile signal isn't working well inside your building, you could try using call forwarding to a landline there or keep your phone near the window and have a bluetooth phone system installed so that you can use your phone within your unit.  Other than that, one of your few other choices would be to change to a service that is either using the Rogers or Freedom networks to see if those networks work any better for you.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@koimr1wrote: 

However if OP doesn't have that version then yes - one will probably want to return it and get something that has band 4.

@koimr1 band 4 is relatively high frequency, so may actually work against you in a concrete building.  If band 5 is available in your area, at 850Hz it has a much lower frequency and should do better at penetrating barriers such as walls.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ludditewrote:

Also, based on the info on https://willmyphonework.net, no Zenphone 3 supports PM's primary LTE band 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

This is likely the reason you have no access to LTE.

Actually the US/BR version does support Band 4:

ZenFone 3 ZE552KL specifications (ASUS)

@TrialAndErrors, where did you buy that phone? Can you try your SIM card in another unlocked phone and see if you get a better signal?

Assuming this is accurate then you have towers pretty close to you:

Canadian Cellular Towers Map (North York from address)

I'm reading "just bought a new phone (zenfone 3) and it doesn t help" to mean that your previous phone didn't have a good signal either. Is that right?

Can you try going to a different location altogether and seeing if the signal improves?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TrialAndErrors, the only thing I can suggest is to look at the tower maps on this site to see how well your local area is covered.  In a high rise, sometimes the problems comes from simply too much concrete in the building walls.  If a local cell tower is pointing towards a building from the wrong side, the interior walls will reduce signal strength significantly.  If you are having to rely on a tower with more favorable direction, it might be located far away and distance becomes the enemy.  Bottom line is Downsview is right in the heart of the city and should generally have good cell reception.  With only two major networks in this country, the only other option is to consider a Rogers or affiliate carrier brand. 

As for the phone in question, I don't see that to be the problem in any way.  The zenfone 3 is fairly current and has all the right bands.  I suggest leaving the settings on LTE preferred and letting the device do the drop down to 3G as required. 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Also, based on the info on https://willmyphonework.net, no Zenphone 3 supports PM's primary LTE band 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

This is likely the reason you have no access to LTE.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@TrialAndErrorswrote:

Hi, I am living in an high rise building just in front of downsview airport (1060 sheppard av west north york) and the communication can just drop randomly there for me.

I have just bought a new phone (zenfone 3) and it doesn t help. I have also switch my parameters to 3G instead of 4G and it doesn t help much. 

Is there any solution? Can you install an new antenna for me there? Do you have any signal amplifier to advice?

Thank you for your help

Nothing Public Mobile can do, sorry. There are amplifiers available but I have no experience with them.

I have exactly the same situation at home - weak LTE strong 3G signal. I just leave the phone set to 3G only.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.