Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic date and time

joycho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I really need your help.

I live in Whitehorse YT which is in GMT-7 time zone (Pacific time). If the Automatic date and time function is on, my phone gets GMT-6 which is one hour earlier. 

I had waken up 1 hour earlier several times due to one hour early alarms. At last I have set the Automatic time and zone function off. However, one of my apps needs it on. I do need that app.

I have recommended Public Mobile to my friends. They have had the same problem.

For me, it is a big issue. I have searched this problem on the community. I think happens often. 

Could you let me know how to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Yep, you got it!

There's a time zone offset relative to UTC. it's programmed per TAC in the MME. Maybe Telus made a mistake in the value for one of the TACs in Yukon.

By the way, a TAC is just a collection of LTE cells that share a geographical area. It can be used to send paging requests for incoming calls, deliver wireless alerts, provide network time, etc.

@sheytoon wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Automatic network time is set by the cell tower/site that you are connecting to and is based on local time for that location.

Close, but auto network time actually comes from the core network, based on Tracking Area Code (TAC).

If Bell subscribers are not impacted using the same phone, then it's definitely an issue in Telus's core.

Thanks.  I know you're one of resident network experts here.  I didn't mean to say that the site sets the time (otherwise, each site could have a different time).  So, it sounds like you're saying that the time is in GMT or some other standard time type further into the network, but that each site in a way has a time zone offset programmed in?

@computergeek541 wrote:

Automatic network time is set by the cell tower/site that you are connecting to and is based on local time for that location.

Close, but auto network time actually comes from the core network, based on Tracking Area Code (TAC).

If Bell subscribers are not impacted using the same phone, then it's definitely an issue in Telus's core.

Experience from tech supoort, sim cards do have addresses attached. When you sign up to activate sim, you need an address. However, it may or may not impact date and time. 

There is no address saved on the sim card. The address is that of the account.  But, I do agree that's just a matter of how you look at it.  However, the point is that the address on for the customer doesn't  make any difference.  The time displayed when using automatic time zone and time is based on the local time as the tower being comnected to. We both agree on that.

ofs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sim cards don't have addresses associated with them.  The billing address or city/province of the phone number wouldn't make a difference when it comes to time zones and time displayed on clock.

Experience from tech supoort, sim cards do have addresses attached. When you sign up to activate sim, you need an address. However, it may or may not impact date and time. 

Yes, automatic network is detected by cell tower and should determine date and time. 

Modern phones are also able to set the device's clock using an internet connection.

Yes, we are able to set the clock instead of using auto detect.

@ofs wrote:

What phones were you trying to use automatic time zone?

Some things to check...

1) Is the address registered on the sim YT address?

2) Are the phones on the latest firmware? Check under settings on the phone.

3) For a temporary fix, set the time manually so you can wake up at the right time first.

Sim cards don't have addresses associated with them.  The billing address or city/province of the phone number wouldn't make a difference when it comes to time zones and time displayed on clock.

Modern phones are also able to set the device's clock using an internet connection.

ofs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What phones were you trying to use automatic time zone?

Some things to check...

1) Is the address registered on the sim YT address?

2) Are the phones on the latest firmware? Check under settings on the phone.

3) For a temporary fix, set the time manually so you can wake up at the right time first.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@joycho wrote:

Hi everyone,

I really need your help.

I live in Whitehorse YT which is in GMT-7 time zone (Pacific time). If the Automatic date and time function is on, my phone gets GMT-6 which is one hour earlier. 

I had waken up 1 hour earlier several times due to one hour early alarms. At last I have set the Automatic time and zone function off. However, one of my apps needs it on. I do need that app.

For me, it is a big issue. I have searched this problem on the community. I think happens often. 

Thank you in advance.

From what I can find, Whitehorse observes PST and PDT depending on the time of year.  Right now, it should be PDT, or GMT -6.  Why are you expecting GMT-7?

Edit.  Oops, I got it wrong.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/canada/yukon  This website say UTC -8 (PST) and UTC*7 (PDT).

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@joycho wrote:

Hi everyone,

I really need your help.

Thank you in advance.

This is not a Public Mobile Network issue.This is a Phone Software issue. You could turn off Auto Network Time Zone. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@joychoIt is most likely a phone software issue more than Public Mobile's service issue. What phone do you use? You might want to check the manual.. most phones can manually set the time zone / time.

Need Help? Let's chat.