cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic APN settings on kids watch?

fefefofum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I bought a 4G kids GPS watch with a Public Mobile plan. The watch shows Telus APN settings and when I factory reset+reboot, it still does. I can wipe the APN settings and then "load factory APN settings" but it'll again show Telus.

I know how to manually create these APN settings, but the keyboard is SO tiny it's near impossible to type.

Is there a way to have the phone pick up the Public Mobile APN settings automatically somehow?

23 REPLIES 23

lokiguy

Are u able to change the apn on the watch? If there's no option to change it then u need a Freedom Mobile Sim card.U don't need to activate it, u just need to put it in the watch then go to the apn and now u should have the option to change it. U can go online and find the apn for public mobile.

Nikita
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Umm. Sms commands guys.  These watches work with sms commands 🙂   now if your not comfortable with this concept there is the free app  se tracker that will do it for you. 

To set the APN, send the command:

pw,123456,apn,NAME_APN, LOGIN_APN,PASSWORD_APN#

No spaces!   Search internet for this. Please remember that most watched have the same pw of 123456. Please please please change the pw!!!!   Anyone can send a sms command to watch to listen, localize, turn off, etc.  These watches do anything with sms command! From changing sos number, to changing programmes number... anything!   To change pw:

pw,OLD_PASSWORD,pw,NEW_PASSWORD#

Enjoy! 

@computergeek541 

Its like deja vu here tonight....can you merge the relevant posts? thx

@Fleecy77 

There as another member having a similar problem. Entering the APN manually was impossible because the "screen" was so small. Perhaps the key to this is as you mentioned texting the modified APN allows you to enter it from the text messages. It sounds like it works similar to a configuration file that a few users have recieved via text to get their foreign made phones to accept an APN. I know @pm-smayer97 did this a couple of years a go. Maybe he can explain how it works 

Fleecy77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you mind telling me which watch you bought?   Did you ever get the data working?  I keep getting a message that the watch is looking for a GPS signal.   I am having this same problem with the smart watch I bought from Amazon for my daughter.  This was the question I posed today.

Hi everyone!

I just recently purchased this watch for my daughter for Christmas on Amazon and bought a Public Mobile SIM card with a $15/month talk/data plan with 500 mb of data.  This is the watch: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Tycho-Tracker-Geo-fence-Real-time-Tracking/dp/B078LH5QGZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=23XO8...

The phone can make calls out and receive calls and can connect to the internet over wifi and the GPS tracking works in the house (I believe b/c it's connected to my home's wifi) but as soon as my daughter goes outside, it loses the signal.  The watch cannot seem to connect to Public Mobile's data.

I was informed by the watch's tech support to reset the APN on the watch by "texting" the watch from my phone:  pw,123456,apn,sp.mb.com,,,302220#  as Public Mobile's info is:

APN = sp.mb.com

MCC = 302

MNC = 220

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the watch to connect to Public Mobile's data?  The watch runs on an Android system."

I'm going to try inputting your numbers into my watch to see if I can get my data working and let you know.

fefefofum

No, these kids watches aren't comparable to adult smartwatches. They are extremely stripped down of any functionality.

You can track through GPS, you can make voice calls and voice-chat (because typing is near impossible) but they lack bluetooth, pairing ability, much of any configuration etc.

You can set Wifi, some APN settings and that's basically it. Some have some additional feature such as a camera, flashlight, stepcounter.

If the APN settings work out of the box there wouldn't be a need to enter it manually and you normally wouldn't use a keyboard with these at all.

@fefefofum wrote:

I was under the impression that, since these watches identify as phones and are unlocked, you could use any SIM with talk+data. This has always worked for me with phones and I've had various odd-brand phones which always worked out of the box.

@fefefofum If the concern was that the APN settings couldn't be entered because of the small on-screen keyboard, who would easily be able to use the internet on them?  These devices are likely best paired when used in combination with another device.

fefefofum

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm quite done with this thing. I requested a return on this watch. I've been looking around for others but they all seem a bit of a gamble.

Plus the GPS on most of them is fairly inaccurate (~300m radius) so even for the main reason of getting it, it's not overly useful.

I think we'll just double down on old fashioned common sense with the kid.

I was under the impression that, since these watches identify as phones and are unlocked, you could use any SIM with talk+data. This has always worked for me with phones and I've had various odd-brand phones which always worked out of the box.

If anyone knows of a 3G/4G smartwatch for kids that confirmed works, I may give that a shot.

@fefefofum 

If you have greyed out settings then maybe you can use a freedom mobile sim card to set the APN. A new or used sim card will do. If you can't borrow one you can order one one from CCS for $9.99 (currently but have been as low as $3.99).

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fefefofum 

Great.  Moderator can send a custom config file to your watch to get the APN setup after reboot.

fefefofum

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately this thing has no Bluetooth so a keyboard won't work. I was able to put in all information eventually though but still no data. Saving the settings after every correct letter so it doesn't wipe what's already there worked.

On this watch the MVNO settings are greyed out and not adjustable when you manually add an APN...

If I insert a Telus SIM I do get a bit further (calling + (voice)texting with their app works), but no GPS either.

I'm sure things will work properly once the correct settings are applied. I'm working with a moderator now too so we'll see how that goes.

@fefefofum 

Another option would be to purchase a fine tipped stylus for use on the smart watch. Starting  around $10+ from Amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Fine-Tip-Stylus/s?k=Extra+Fine+Tip+Stylus

@popping

Excellent suggestion!

popping

@fefefofum wrote:

So I suppose you're correct and it's a matter of manually putting in the required info. The issue with that is that the screen is only about 1.2" diagonally and even with a stylus it's impossible to type in the correct information. This picture is the stylus right above the keyboard...

If your watch support Bluetooth, try using a Bluetooth keyboard.

fefefofum

I did some testing with my own Public Mobile SIM and the one I bought for the smartwatch:

Personal cell + smartwatch SIM card (825-xxx-xxxx) $25 plan 1GB
APN name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasdirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS poxy: mmsproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
APN type: internet + mms
MVNO: 4D

Personal cell + personal cell SIM card (587-xxx-xxxx) $40 plan 5GB
APN name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Smartwatch + personal cell SIM (587-xxx-xxxx)
APN name: TELUS SP
APN: sp.telus.com
MMC: 302
APN type: default,mms,supl

APN name: TELUS ISP
APN name: isp.telus.com
APN type: DUN

APN name: TELUS services
APN: services.telus.com
APN type: xcap
APN protocol: IPv6

Smartwatch + smartwatch SIM (825-xxx-xxxx)
APN name: TELUS SP
APN: sp.telus.com
MMC: 302
APN type: default,mms,supl

APN name: TELUS ISP
APN: isp.telus.com
APN type: DUN

APN name: TELUS services
APN: services.telus.com
APN type: xcap
APN protocol: IPv6

So I suppose you're correct and it's a matter of manually putting in the required info. The issue with that is that the screen is only about 1.2" diagonally and even with a stylus it's impossible to type in the correct information. This picture is the stylus right above the keyboard...

IMG_20201003_104030.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

Up until now it was my understanding that public mobile would not work in smart watches but obviously this is not the case. This does add an interesting twist to the whole phone debate.

Public doesn't care what you're using. You can use tablets, watches, phones, latops or anything that takes a sim card and is compatible. Smart watches are small and might not have sim slot to save space. That's why some won't work.

@gpixel 

Up until now it was my understanding that public mobile would not work in smart watches but obviously this is not the case. This does add an interesting twist to the whole phone debate.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@fefefofum wrote:

Hello,

I bought a 4G kids GPS watch with a Public Mobile plan. The watch shows Telus APN settings and when I factory reset+reboot, it still does. I can wipe the APN settings and then "load factory APN settings" but it'll again show Telus.

I know how to manually create these APN settings, but the keyboard is SO tiny it's near impossible to type.

Is there a way to have the phone pick up the Public Mobile APN settings automatically somehow?

Phone/tablets/smartwatches do not pick up APN setttings from the sim card or internet. They need to be programmed into the software by the manufacturer of the phone. Otherwise, you do need to manually program them.

The device obviously has to have a SIM slot otherwise there is not much of a discussion here.  Anyway, the SIM card contains carrier information (MCC, MNC).  In Canada with the fake competition, Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile have the same MCC, MNC.  When a device picks up this information, it tries to find APNs that match the MCC, MNC and make them available for selection.  If the APN listing is incomplete which is entirely possible, manual entry will be required.  On my phone, I see Telus APN available for me to select along side Public Mobile because both services have the same MCC, MNC.  IIRC, the LG G4 sourced from a non Telus brand will not be able to provide a proper APN for Public Mobile.  Manual entry is required.  

@fefefofum wrote:

Hello,

Phone/tablets/smartwatches do not pick up APN setttings from the sim card or internet. They need to be programmed into the software by the manufacturer of the phone. Otherwise, you do need to manually program them.

@darlicious a new phone for the bf!

fefefofum

I have tried deleting APN's and then restarting (also factory reset); the Telus APN's came back.

I'll try your other suggestion of a support ticket, thanks for the tip!

popping

@fefefofum 

Delete the APNs on the watch.

Restart your watch with PM SIM card inserted and hopefully, APN may be configured automatically.

If you do not mind to wait, create a support ticket to ask moderator to send a config file to your watch with the PM SIM card to setup APN. 

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Moderator response is from couple hours to couple of days.

fefefofum

I can call and receive calls with it but nothing else works unless I'm on my home's WiFi.

I'm on Public Mobile myself and my phone's APN shows sp.mb.com, http://aliasdirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc etc.

We did just got the SIM today but it's been all afternoon now. The phone does show full bars for mobile network as well as for WiFi. It's just not as easy to figure anything out as a normal cellphone due to size and it being very limited in its functions as well.

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@fefefofum- PM is part of Telus.  Is the service working?

Need Help? Let's chat.