Hello

I was wondering if the following phones would be compatible once unlocked

Blackberry Priv

Iphone 5

Samsung S series

Or if there are any smartphones that would not be compatible

Thanks

65 REPLIES 65

@Martin I would submit that you being naive and active back then IS what makes that time simpler and healthier. Or that's what's true for me in these situations, anyway.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi 778,

What I did, as a youngster, was the norm. I was the youngest in my family, but the only male child. The responsibility was thus mine to help my father. I shovelled the coal from under the window where it entered to a spot closer to the stove. At the age of 8, I was using a light, adult's axe to chop wood into smaller pieces. I was expected to contribute to my home, and I did.

Manual labour is not a four-letter word. Many people join gyms to counter the effects of their sedentary lifestyle. In my case, when a youngster, if I wasn't helping my father, I was biking, playing ball hockey on the street, or ice hockey in the winter after flooding the back lane with water. It was a non-stop active life.

That said, aside from the physical-fitness benefits and interpersonal communication with my neighbourhood friends, I don't regard the era in which I grew up as simpler, healthier, or happier. We were naïve. We didn't know how awful some people could be. Learning about them came later.

Food for thought.

@7789849803 wrote:

@NDesai Thank you for letting us indulge in this harmless banter!

Making a new discussion thread would be a good idea though. Smiley Very Happy

@NDesai Thank you for letting us indulge in this harmless banter!

@Luddite No worries, i turned off all notification just a week after i joined this community. 

Continue on, i am not stopping you...Smiley Tongue

@Martin Well, I guess "hardship" was not quite the right word to use there - my apologies. I heard a radio interview of Trevor Noah recently where he mentioned how what he thinks of as hardships now, didn't feel like that back when he was growing up, because everyone around him was leading the same life, so it felt "normal". Not that the same applies directly in your situation - but this conversation just reminded me of the interview.

Also, I guess what would be "hardship" or "struggle" to me because of the use of manual labour (if I were to go through it myself today), you may think of as a normal facet of life back then. Or maybe even a positive thing, because things were simpler, or people healthier/happier, back then.

Nostalgia, in my own view, is a different thing, however. Because it has more to do with us remembering old times fondly, mostly because of the knowledge that things will never go back to the way they were for us as individuals previously.

But again, I'm relatively young and stupid, so what do I know! 🙂

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

Thank you for reading my post.

I can tell you, with absolutely no equivocation, that the word "hardship" or equivalent has never come to mind when I think about my years as a youngster. I view them with fond nostalgia.

What do you regard as a hardship?

The only hardship that I recall, which is not in my post, is the pain and struggle that an inordinate amount of men had to experience as amputees, due to grievous wounds suffered in WWII.

Well, if yoy saw that movie problem child with the late John Ritter, the Milk delivery thing was alive and well, lol

@Martin Wow - I'm so fascinated to hear about all these experiences you had growing up! It sure does sound like a very different time. And if these hardships you describe were the way of life in a large metropolitan city like Montreal, I can only imagine what life must have been like back then in, say rural Saskatchewan.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Since we referenced artists of the past, I'd like to share a few memories from my childhood, with no exaggeration.

I grew up in Montreal, and had access to all the conveniences that a large city afforded.

Milk used to be delivered to our front door in Canadian-quart glass bottles. The top of the bottle used to have a thin cardboard stopper. During freezing weather, the cream in the milk used to rise to the top, and lift the stopper. The neighbourhood cats then proceeded to lick the cream. After many years, the bottling plant encased the top with aluminum foil, thus preventing access to the cream by cats. The milk was delivered by what could be best described as a small cube van. Instead of a driver's cab and engine, a horse pulled the van. After so many years of stopping at the same addressees, the milkman didn't need to pull on the reins; the horse knew where to stop by habit.

Our neighbour, across the street, had a freezer, but not one powered by electricity. Once a week, the ice man, with a huge block of ice hoisted on his shoulders, would make a delivery to our neighbour.

My parents had a three-party telephone line. When I was a youngster, numbers did not start with digits, but names. So, our number was CRescent 7-xxxx. In time, the CR in CRescent was changed to 27, thus 277-xxxx. Seven-digit calling in Montreal was the norm.

Having come from a working-class family, we had a pot-bellied stove in the basement to produce hot water. Monthly, the coal man dumped coal into the basement via a window. My responsibility was to fill the stove with coal, and to use a small axe to break larger pieces of wood into manageable sizes.I then placed smaller pieces of wood into the stove, and set them alight. From time to time, I stoked the contents of the stove to ensure a vibrant fire.

Last but not least, men, who were seated on a bus, were expected to stand up and give their seats to pregnant women and women with children.

'Twas a different time!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

What have I been telling you for months about @Luddite's age?

He's old, as in Jurassic old!

@Luddite wrote:

...nearly fried my few remaining grey cells...

The greyness has spread from your hair to your actual brain cells? Whoa. You really ARE old! Smiley Tongue

Martin
Legend
Legend
@Luddite,

OK! I concede. Once again, your explanation has swayed my otherwise-hardened heart.

Fortunately for you, the Mother Ship's Accounts-Receivable Department accepted your OHIP card and its out-of-province coverage.

FYI.

@Martin Hopefully dhanadhan has turned off notifications for this thread. Smiley LOL

The fat nine were certainly pleased with your gift; whoops I mean loan. But seriously, surely you recall selling me a (supposedly) Chilean copper colander for $800 that nearly fried my few remaining grey cells. Fortunately you are still kindly and accepted the children's plea; let's just call it even even though without Bob's & Sue's emergency intervention and visit to the Mother Ship's infirmary I would be even less than I am. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi,

I can attest to what @Luddite said about changing email notifications.

In July of 2015, he private messaged me with a request for a one-month loan of $500, explaining that he had insufficient funds to feed his 9 children. His story brought tears to my eyes. I wrote him a cheque, and I'm still waiting for the "one-month" loan to be repaid. He claims that he never receives my requests for repayment. I suspect that he changed email notifications so that mail from me is never delivered to him.

@Luddite: WHERE IS MY $500?

@NDesai I have been around only slightly longer than you, I think, but humour has been an accepted Community norm. I believe you need have no concern that our Community moderators will be overworked by such extraneous posts. If you get tired of them, you can eliminate receipt of email notifications by changing your Community profile to stop following any threads that annoy you. I do this regularly.

Have a great day.

Yes, so I'd be eager to listen to more dinosaur-related stories from @Luddite whenever his sleep schedule permits 🙂

Why give tough time to mods? Also to OP when he sees his post was gone viral even after his issue was resolved. 

Well, i am no one to stop anyone...just being sure to respect this great community and its rules. Robot Embarassed

Martin
Legend
Legend
@Luddite,

The OP's question WAS resolved on February 18.

Considering that there is no off-topic board, and that it's the weekend when OPs' posts are relatively few and far between, I see nothing wrong with humorous, off-topic posts.

If a member is receiving such posts, and they are unwanted, all that one needs to do is delete them. Clean and simple. They're gone.

Food for thought?

@NDesai Sure, why not stick with the topic? Perhaps it was resolved?

Uhh, can we stay on topic Robot Frustrated

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

🙂

Ha! "Raptor's attention" - I like that! 🙂

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi 778,

Did you mean "rapt attention" or "raptor's attention"?

Martin

@Martin wrote:

Hi @Luddite,

I remember Connie Francis!

I also recall Sophie Tucker, as well as Elvis Presley and the Beatles appearing live on the Ed Sullivan Show from NYC.

To date myself, I also remember Lota Hitschmanova from the Unitarian Service Committee, 56 Sparks Street, Ottawa, appealing for funds for overseas humanitarian projects.

(Note to myself: I think I'm blowing my cover that I'm only 18.)

Those all sound like baby dinosaur names to me! "Only 18", my behindSmiley Very Happy

Was Connie Francis the baby dinosaur that you rescued and befriended back when YOU were a youngster? Whatever happened to her in the end, Luddite! Please tell us the whole story, won't you! *turns wide-eyed with rapt attention*

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi @Luddite,

I remember Connie Francis!

I also recall Sophie Tucker, as well as Elvis Presley and the Beatles appearing live on the Ed Sullivan Show from NYC.

To date myself, I also remember Lotta Hitschmanova from the Unitarian Service Committee, 56 Sparks Street, Ottawa, appealing for funds for overseas humanitarian projects.

(Note to myself: I think I'm blowing my cover that I'm only 18.)

Indeed you are.

I can, can you, recall Connie Francis? As I type, she is currently singing in the background without a "wall of sound" backing her.

Being frugal as you know, I am truly amazed at the variety of information and entertainment made available by you youngsters free on the 'net. Surely not envisioned by the originators. Smiley Happy

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

EVERYONE is a youngster compared to @Luddite!

FYI.

As a youngster (by Luddite's standards), I thought "tea party" was when you sit down to gossip over pretend-tea with all the dolls and actions figures in your collection. In that context, I'm sure Bob and Sue wouldn't approve of lacing innocuous drinks with their Geritol-based concoction. I've heard that it's bad to roofie one's dolls/action figures.

Need Help? Let's chat.