Samsung S series

Or if there are any smartphones that would not be compatible

Thanks

65 REPLIES 65

Martin
Legend
Legend
@Luddite,

In comparison, Donnie makes Tea Partiers seem like moderates.

Martin

@Martin @7789849803 I have arisen "wide eyed and bushy tailed" from that Geritol induced coma. Bob & Sue make a mean concoction!

I asked for an exclusive NA licence, but unfortunately they only have Canada remaining. Seems the Tea Party got it for the USA and modified it so that users are suseptible to their political ads AND can still walk to polling stations. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like @imm1304 said if it's unlocked and correct frequencies you are good if not a Telus phone. Saying that if it's a Canadian model phone unlocking it will let you use it on Public as the majority of the new phones sold in Canada by the big 3 are cross compatible. 

The biggest caveat was for people trying to get it to work with Wind. With Samsung anything up from the Canadian Note 3/galaxy S5, HTC M8, M9 and Apple i5 sold after April of 2014 will work on all Canadian carriers and there subs.  I am leaving out other brands as my experience is lacking. 

Even saying that with the predecessor galaxy s3/s4 and LG G3 could be modded to work on wind. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @DK,

Under the bus. LOL!

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So you mean @Martin isn't the only seasoned person around here!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

I think you're right!

Cheers.

What you call sleep, he probably calls Geritol-induced temporary coma. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

For those who are curious, @Luddite would have contributed to this thread had he not been sleeping.

FYI.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @7789849803, you're welcome.  Good little discussion here 🙂

Thanks for that information, @imm1304! I don't know why I thought anyone on a contract can be stopped from porting out.

imm1304

Just to elaborate on what @7789849803 said, being under a contract is NOT a valid grounds for refusing a port as per the regulating guidelines.  This is what the early termination fee is for.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi,

It's best to read your plan's details as they set forth the terms and conditions under which you use Rogers' services.

Remember: If the plan says ABC, and the rep says XYZ, ABC applies.

FYI.

imm1304

My understanding is that Rogers will send you the final bill after you port the number away from them. This will include the early termination fee and pro-rated charges for the current month. You are allowed to owe money on the day you port out.. as long as the amount you owe is not a past-due amount, Rogers can not stop/deny the port request.

Its rally your personal preference.. pay now or in couple of weeks after you get the bill in the mail.  

@mibs000 That's a good question. I do believe they can consider having a contract as grounds to refuse a porting request from you. On the other hand, if you do pay the penalty, they will likely cancel your account and you will likely lose your number, even if they say you won't.

mibs000
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh I already calculated it. It would be more advantageous to pay the 300$ penalty now and save 30$/mo than to continue paying 70$/mo for the next year and a half.  I just want to know if I have to pay the penalty first with rogers, or if I should port my phone first and let Rogers send me the invoice with the penalty.

Thanks

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Only you can answer that question. Take into account what the penalty is versus what your savings would be over 18 months after porting to Public Mobile.

If, after calculating, you don't silently say "ouch" to yourself, then port ASAP. If you react with "ouch", wait.

Food for thought!

mibs000

I also should have mentionned, one of the lines is still attached to a 18 month contract. Should I pay off the penalty and then port my number to PM, or should I port the number first, then  rogers will send me an invoice?

Thanks

@Martin wrote:
Hello,

Considering that you will require 3 email addresses, and if you want Public Mobile email to be sent to the same inbox, or different users' inboxes with message rules, use 1 Gmail address.

Gmail permits the use of dots and the plus sign, but I will address only the former here.

For example, JoeBlow(at)gmail(dot)com is the same as Joe.Blow(at)gmail(dot)com, which is the same as J.o.e.B.l.o.w(at)gmail(dot)com. In short, Gmail disregards dots insofar as delivery of mail is concerned.

FYI.

Yup, great trick. I use it many times 🙂

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Considering that you will require 3 email addresses, and if you want Public Mobile email to be sent to the same inbox, or different users' inboxes with message rules, use 1 Gmail address.

Gmail permits the use of dots and the plus sign, but I will address only the former here.

For example, JoeBlow(at)gmail(dot)com is the same as Joe.Blow(at)gmail(dot)com, which is the same as J.o.e.B.l.o.w(at)gmail(dot)com. In short, Gmail disregards dots insofar as delivery of mail is concerned.

FYI.

imm1304

You will receive your sim cards soon enough.  Hopefully 🙂

The annoying part:   you will need 3 separate PM accounts, one per phone line..so 3 unique email addresses.

The good part:  You can collect referral reward on lines 2 and 3.  Referral reward of $1 per 30 days per line.  

Keep your Rogers line active, otherwise you will not be able to port your old numbers to PM.  You don't need to cancel Rogers.  As soon as you port your numbers out of Rogers, the Rogers accounts will close and you will get your final bill.  

Activation of PM is instant, and porting in huge majority of cases takes about 15 minutes.  Just be sure that Rogers lines are active, in good standing (nothing past-due).  Also, provide your Rogers account number, PIN, etc accurately to make sure the porting doesnt stall.  

mibs000

I have not received the sim cards yet, so I cannot activate any lines for now. But how would I proceed to purchase 3 PM lines and transfer my old existing lines from rogers? Do I need to keep the rogers line active before transfering,? Is the activation of a PM instant?

Thank you all for your help

imm1304

In addition to @Martin's early welcome, feel free to ask here if you have any questions about the new line activation or if you get in trouble during the process.   

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If you need unlocking services, two reputable businesses are: www.cellunlocker.net and www.quickphoneunlock.com

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

Welcome to Public Mobile, though a tad early!

imm1304

You're welcome.  Looks like 2 of your phones are compatible for sure then.  Just verify your Samsung on the willmyphonework.net website.  

Since they are from Rogers, you will need to unlock them.  Generally, its a lot cheaper to buy unlock code online and not go to Rogers.  

mibs000

Oh I see, Thank you all for your replies!

imm1304

No exceptions.  As long as the phone has the right bands and is unlocked or from Telus/Koodo, its compatible.   

mibs000

Forgot to mentionned, all phones are Canadian models purchased from Rogers.

Thanks

imm1304

I don't understand your question ... there is nothing to compare them to.. you just select the phone make/model that you want to check compatibility for.  Then you select your country = Canada and carrier = Public Mobile and hit Search.  

In the result, a check mark means compatible and "x" means not compatible.  

Public Mobile only works on 3G and LTE.  So the "x" under 2G is irrelevant.

mibs000

So if they are listed as compatible with 1700/2100 (band 4) for LTE on the mentionned website, they should work? Or are there exceptions even if the comply with 1700/2100 (band 4)?

Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.