11 REPLIES 11

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

BEER

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

It seems to me that there must be something different with PM Sim cards. A few months ago I tried to use an active PM Sim card in my older iPad 2 but after trying various suggestions even though the simm was recognized it never connected by PM data to the internet. However using a Bell Simm it worked just fine. Just today I received a GPS tracker that requires an active Simm card so I installed an active PM sim card with plenty of data on it. But --- but ---but it also is not trecognized by this GPS tracker model GF-07.   What gives?

The problem is because the devices you are trying to use don't support the technology that Public Mobile's network uses.

Your GPS tracker model GF-07: Basic parameters: spectrum GSM850/900/1800/1900 MH

Public Mobile has no GSM support - only HSPA/WCDMA/LTE - so I don't think that will ever work, except maybe with Rogers which has their old 2G network running still until the end of 2020.

Your iPad 2 may support these bands:

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Which should be OK.. But it's possible you have one that doesn't support all of these, and the band is not available in your area. So there may be something else up with that, maybe a network lock, or maybe a PIN2 has been configured on the SIM... (for restricted dialing etc)

There are previous threads with people getting an iPad 2 to work with PM, maybe try adding APN isp.mb.com (instead of the usual sp.mb.com)

Try the network settings reset process outlined here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Public-Mobile-data-plan-and-iPad-comp...

Unfortunately, that same thread (from 2015) has other people confirming the iPad 2, iPad Mini 2, and iPad Mini 4 does not work with Public Mobile, so it could be very likely that thing's haven't changed.

Some hope with a successful report in this post for an iPad 4:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Public-Mobile-data-plan-and-iPad-comp...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Did it come with instructions or anything?

Found this on Amazon. Says something about restart after the boot to get connected to a server or something??

Basic parameters: band GSM850/900/1800/1900MHZ
Support countries: China UK France Germany Holland Italy Brazil Spain etc.......
Often encounter problems:
1 hosts can not connect
A: you must insert the SIM phone card after the boot will enable mobile phone signal, so
you only need to restart the machine after the boot. There is your phone card is not on the server, no signal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tracker-Platform-Tracking-Recording-Location/dp/B0727YFPSN

BEER

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BEER wrote:

It seems to me that there must be something different with PM Sim cards. A few months ago I tried to use an active PM Sim card in my older iPad 2 but after trying various suggestions even though the simm was recognized it never connected by PM data to the internet. However using a Bell Simm it worked just fine. Just today I received a GPS tracker that requires an active Simm card so I installed an active PM sim card with plenty of data on it. But --- but ---but it also is not trecognized by this GPS tracker model GF-07.   What gives?

When it comes to the GPS device, this could be a matter of the thickness of the plastic if it acts as if no sim card is installed. The older generation of sim cards that were specificially made for either mini or micro sim sometimes fit better.

I think I found the reason as to why my new GPS tracker doesn't work --- Many sellers on Ebay and even Amazon are selling the mini GPS trackers model # GF-07 -- These value priced trackers just won't work in Canada because they will only function on 2G networks.

Public Mobile does not push APN Settings, even though Telus and Koodo do. So APN Settings on the device must be configured manually. And most devices need to be rebooted before APN changes take affect.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Check Apple site HERE

Change SIM always at least reboot.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BEER wrote:

Would there be any settings in the iPad 2 that need updating or turning on?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It may be that APN settings had to be configured correctly. Contact moderators and asked them to push APN config

@BEER wrote:

When it comes to the GPS device, this could be a matter of the thickness of the plastic if it acts as if no sim card is installed. The older generation of sim cards that were specificially made for either mini or micro sim sometimes fit better.

Need Help? Let's chat.