cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all PM SIM cards 4G ?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'm assuming that all Sim Cards would be  4G able ------  but just to make sure is this true?

9 REPLIES 9

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile no longer offers 4G/LTE Plans. But their "3G" is actually 4G throttled to maximum of 3Mbps. It's 4G compatible regardless what it says. 

Just FYI, although PM got rid of its plan builder with the custom LTE options, there is still currently one pre-made 4G/LTE 30-day plan being offered of $30 for 1 GB data. It's not great value, but it's likely still there just so PM can say it offers a data-only option.

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM sims work on 4g/LTE it is more your phone that does this tho not the sim. Say on an iphone if your don't have LTE enabled in the settings it will go to 3g or 4g

Public Mobile no longer offers 4G/LTE Plans. But their "3G" is actually 4G throttled to maximum of 3Mbps. It's 4G compatible regardless what it says. 

SIM cards do not have any radio hardware. Just subscriber information to identify, authenticate, and connect to the service - the server-side machinery (user account/billing) determine whether 4G is provided.

Where did you get these SIM card affix codes? Are they specific to one carrier or to one SIM card ODM/manufacturer? Are they used universally in Canada? 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@BEER The SIM serial number standard is 19 digits. The first 7 identifies the country and company. The rest of the 12 digits (11 + 1 check sum) are account number. In the end, it is the Telus servers on the back end that identifies the account (and provision the service accordingly), the SIM card information are the encryption keys and identifing information.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes they are. It depends what plan you have. Sim accomodates 3G or 4G.

@BEER wrote:

@GR wrote:

@BEER yes they all are

I asked the subject question because .  On my Sim cards the ninth and tenth digits are 00.

Compatible 4G SIM

A compatible SIM or eSIM card will display 25, 26, 27, or 28 in the ninth and tenth digits spots. For example, 89014103279999999999.

ncompatible SIM

An incompatible SIM will display 21, 22, 23, or 24 in the ninth and tenth digit spots. For example, 89014103249999999999. Have an incompatible SIM card? You’ll have to get a new one for 4G.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Every Public Mobile sim card I've ever seen has 0 as the ninth and tenth digits. Where did you read that information about "21"?   

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@GR wrote:

@BEER yes they all are

I asked the subject question because .  On my Sim cards the ninth and tenth digits are 00.

Compatible 4G SIM

A compatible SIM or eSIM card will display 25, 26, 27, or 28 in the ninth and tenth digits spots. For example, 89014103279999999999.

ncompatible SIM

An incompatible SIM will display 21, 22, 23, or 24 in the ninth and tenth digit spots. For example, 89014103249999999999. Have an incompatible SIM card? You’ll have to get a new one for 4G.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@BEER wrote:

I'm assuming that all Sim Cards would be  4G able ------  but just to make sure is this true?

I would think it is the frequencies that your phone can operate on is what would depend on what network you on.  I don't think the SIM card is what decides if you are 3G or LTE but will honsetly say I don't know for sure lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GR
Mayor / Maire

@BEER yes they all are

Need Help? Let's chat.