cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Flip phones and non smart phones compatible?

elhota
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a Huawei non smart phone from Wind Mobile and a LG flip phone from Mobilicity.  I called Wind Mobile to unlock the Huawei but when I put in my SIM card from Virgin Mobile the phone doesn't recognize it.  I tried calling Mobilicity to unlock the LG phone but they don't seem to know the code to unlock the phone.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Would they be compatible with Public Mobile?  These phones were used only for a year or two and I'd hate to see them go to waste.  I'd like to eventually give them to my kids to use when they are a bit older.

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

Ohhh...yeah that's a better reference than what I had found.

Sorry elhota.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elhota wrote:

It was not a typo.  The model is SGH-T499Y

Thanks for the clarification. I had addressed that post to computergeek541.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Did you perchance mis-read and typod your post? The OP said "Samsung model SGH-T499Y". Not 999.

Yes, I did make a mistake when typing. Conincidently, the T999 would have worked fine here.

elhota

It was not a typo.  The model is SGH-T499Y

@elhota wrote:

The LG is model GU297.  This is the one that Chatr and LG was not able to provide the unlock code for.

As z10user4 was saying, the LG Wink GU297 should work at Public Mobile if you get it unlocked.  However, you should know that according to LG Canada, it only has UMTS bands 4 and 5.  These means that you are missing the important UMTS Band 2.    I would not bother witth this phone and would highly suggest just getting a new one.  https://www.lg.com/ca_en/products/documents/LGWink_GU297_TechSpecs_EN.pdf

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

Did you perchance mis-read and typod your post? The OP said "Samsung model SGH-T499Y". Not 999.

@Anonymous wrote:

@elhota 

From what I can find, I agree with computergeek541 that the Huawei is not compatible here.

From what I can find, that Samsung looks like it could work for 3G level.

You haven't provided a model number for the LG.

Edit: As for locking, providers are required by law to give you an unlock code for phones that are locked to their network.

The Samsung Dart of whatever variant of the T499 that is that was sold by Mobilicity isn't going to work.  This was a from a time preiod when Samsung would make different versions depending on whether it needed to be compatible with Wind/Mobilicity/T-Mobile/Videotron/etc.  It wasn't as simple as changing the software or a setting either.  The hardware was different.

The version that Mobilcity would have been the same as sold in the U.S. by T-Mobile.  Samsung USA officially lists specs as "Network

Frequencies and Data TypeHSPA+/UMTS Dual-band : 1700/2100MHz; GSM Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz" at https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/dart-t-mobile

So, this device isn't compatible with Public Mobile either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elhota wrote:

The LG is model GU297.  This is the one that Chatr and LG was not able to provide the unlock code for.

That LG might *barely* work for 3G voice.

I kinda think ya gotta give up on these phones for this place.

The Samsung may have re-attached itself to a provider after you unlocked it and put in that providers SIM. Samsung has a very helpful unlock service of their own.

Edit: although LG's site might suggest it could do more here.

elhota

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elhota 

From what I can find, I agree with computergeek541 that the Huawei is not compatible here.

From what I can find, that Samsung looks like it could work for 3G level.

You haven't provided a model number for the LG.

Edit: As for locking, providers are required by law to give you an unlock code for phones that are locked to their network.

@elhota wrote:

Yes, I called Chatr.  They were not able to provide the unlock code and asked me to give them my e-mail address so that they can e-mail the code to me.  I never heard back from them through e-mail.

These phones aren't compatible, either way.  It's not so much about getting the phones unlocked (which you would have to do), but rather that they don't support the freqencies required to be able to make and receive phone calls.

elhota

Yes, I called Chatr.  They were not able to provide the unlock code and asked me to give them my e-mail address so that they can e-mail the code to me.  I never heard back from them through e-mail.

elhota

The Samsung and Huawei are unlocked as I was able to get the unlock codes from Mobilicity (Chatr) and Freedom.  It's the LG that is still locked, as Chatr was not able to provide me with the unlock code for that phone.

@elhota wrote:

I have a Huawei non smart phone from Wind Mobile and a LG flip phone from Mobilicity.  I called Wind Mobile to unlock the Huawei but when I put in my SIM card from Virgin Mobile the phone doesn't recognize it.  I tried calling Mobilicity to unlock the LG phone but they don't seem to know the code to unlock the phone.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Would they be compatible with Public Mobile?  These phones were used only for a year or two and I'd hate to see them go to waste.  I'd like to eventually give them to my kids to use when they are a bit older.

Mobilicity doesn't exist any more.  Did you actually call Chatr?  Eiher way, many of the non-smartphones from Wind Mobile and Mobilicity will not be compatible with Public Mobile.  Many/most of these do not have UMTS bands 2 and 5 available, menaing that they will not work for phone calls on Bell/Telus networks. 

Specifically, the Huawei U2801 is 100% incompatible.  There isn't anything you can do get this to work at Public Mobile.  Even if you unlock it,the only UMTS band that is supports is Band 4, which isn't of any help for Public Mobile use.  If this is a Wind Huawei U2801, they can definitely give you the unlock code, but you'd only be able to use it at Rogers (2g) or providers who use UMTS Band 4 (such as Videotron). 

As for the Mobility Samsung T499Y, that's an Android-based phone, but I'm almost certain that doesn't support bands 2 and 5 on UMTS either.

You're going to have to buy a new phone.

Jadebug

@elhota

If your phones are still locked there isn't much we can do our our end to help you out. Since you already called the manufacturer and previous network provider your other option would be to try purchasing you unlock codes from a 3rd party as suggested previously. Sim cards from other service providers will not work unless the phones are unlocked.

elhota

I called LG and they weren't able to help me unlock my phone.  They said to call Mobilicity.  I think because the phone is too old. It's only a 2012 model. 

elhota

I checked and it says that the phone is compatible.  But still, it's not working.  I called Huawei and Freedom Mobile and both were not able to help, advising me to go to a 3rd party service centre.

elhota

The Huawei is model U2801.  I just called Huawei and Freedom Mobile.  Both were not able to help.  Basically. they told me to go to a 3rd party service centre for assistance.

I also have the same problem with a Samsung model SGH-T499Y.  Again, when I turn it on it's not able to find the network.  This was a Mobilicity phone which I called them to unlock around a year ago.

Jadebug

@elhota

Typically, you should be able to attach to the PM network once you swap sim cards, but only if the phone supports it and if it's unlocked. 

Would you be able to post your phone model so that we can help troubleshoot the issue? It might labeled behind the battery, or in the About Phone section in your settings. 

elhota

My account with Wind expired 4 years ago. I called Freedom and was able to get the unlock code to unlock the Huawei phone.  However, when I insert the SIM card from both my former account with Virgin and my current account with Public Mobile, the phone is not able to recognize both networks.  Not sure why. Am I doing something wrong?  I thought that once the phone is unlocked it should be able to recognize the network once I insert a valid SIM card.  The same thing happened with an older Samsung smart phone I had before.  With the LG, I think I will need to contact LG for the unlock code as Mobilicity/Chatr was not able to help.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@elhota wrote:

Hi @elhota 

You should check first I'd those phones support telus network (hspa or umts 850 and 1900)

Then go to manufacturer's Canadian website and contact their tech support through chat, they should be able to give you all the unlock pins in minutes. Have the phone I your hand so you can check while you talk to them

Hope it helps

Jadebug

@elhota wrote:

Do you still have access to your Wind/ Freedom mobile account? They have an online tool that you can use to unlock your device. 

https://myaccount.freedommobile.ca/selfcare/#/unlockdevice

I find it a little surprising that both companies weren't able to provide you with the unlock codes. The cellphone freedom act was established many years ago which require cellphone companies to remove sim card locks once their customer has reached the end of their contract. I think you should try talking to a different customer service representative. Also have your IMEI handy, it can usually be found behind the battery, on flip phones, or by typing *#06# on the dialer. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cath wrote:

@elhota  My flip phone is an ancient LG TU330 and has worked perfectly with PM for the past 3.5 years.  I received the unlock code from cellunlocker.net for $8 in 2015, probably more now.  It's a 3G phone, formerly with Rogers.  I'm not sure if the APN could be set for data but it is fine for calling and texting.  Hope this helps.

I believe you shouldn't have to pay anything to have your phone unlocked so long as you own the phone outright.  You should be able to contact the manufacturer directly and get the unlock code from them at no additional cost.  I agree it shouldn't matter if the phone is flip or not for it to work on PM so long as long as it's compatible which can also be determined fairly easily.

Cath

@elhota  My flip phone is an ancient LG TU330 and has worked perfectly with PM for the past 3.5 years.  I received the unlock code from cellunlocker.net for $8 in 2015, probably more now.  It's a 3G phone, formerly with Rogers.  I'm not sure if the APN could be set for data but it is fine for calling and texting.  Hope this helps.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@elhota wrote:

If Mobilicity (now Chatr) is not able to help with unlocking the phone I wonder if there is any other way to unlock it without having to pay

I think you should be able to phone the manufacture to give you the code and unlock...I believe they can verify that it's paid for and is not stolen/lost.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@elhota wrote:

I don't know about Huawei or LG flip phones but can tell you that one of our phones is an Alcatel flip phone which works perfectly well on Public Mobile and was previously with Telus, so it shouldn't be an issue just because it's a flip phone.  Hopefully you get your answer with the suggestions from @mimmo and @Lieux  as to whether they're compatible.

elhota

If Mobilicity (now Chatr) is not able to help with unlocking the phone I wonder if there is any other way to unlock it without having to pay

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

public works on the 3g network. old rogers network phones probably will not work. 

best to check https://willmyphonework.net/

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@elhota wrote:

To check for compatibility with public mobile you can go to the site willmyphonework.net.

Need Help? Let's chat.