cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple or OnePlus

lisaz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Having trouble deciding btwn a couple phones. Currently using iPhone 6, own a Mac.

Most important for me is durability as I use my phones for 3-5 years and have a habit of dropping it a few times/month (always use screen protector and case).

So, iPhone XR 64GB or OnePlus 7T 256G ? Your thoughts? Thx
18 REPLIES 18

Irv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Very hard question to answer as it depends on your usage, needs, personal preference. It's also a question about two different platform, Apple and Android. I would suggest to play first with a similar Android phone to understand more about that platform. Oneplus has good reputation about their version of Android. Regarding durability, I has very good experience (with proper case and glass protection). Both phones are great in their own ways. I love Oneplus and find IPhone amazing too. Sorry if that doesn't really help in the end. Best advice, try to find someone or place to try them. 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@Ed404 honestly, on either platform, apps are really the biggest offenders anyway.

@lisaz sorry this thread got way off topic.

Yeah, apps are the biggest offender and it's much harder to get sketchy apps on an iPhone, but you lose the variety of apps and games the Google Play store offers. I bought an iPad and I was quickly disappointed at how empty the Appstore was.

I'd argue that we're still on topic because the more you know about phones the easier it is to make a decision. Extraneous facts are fun!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ed404 wrote:

Today, selling data is prominent and I'm not sure signing on with Apple is the right move considering how little customizability they offer. I'd sooner start from scratch on Android than trust Apple whose painted on target on their backs.

@Ed404 honestly, on either platform, apps are really the biggest offenders anyway.

@lisaz sorry this thread got way off topic.  As a huge OnePlus fan myself (on my 3rd now: OnePlus 3, then OnePlus 5T, now OnePlus 7), of course I would love for you to try out the other side. OnePlus devices are actually a pretty good "iPhone defector" devices, especially if you make use of the mute switch on your iPhone.  BUT, one of the more popular reasons people stick with an iPhone is the ecosystem.  While there's no reason you can't own a Mac and an Android phone, the more natural fit is to stick with an iPhone, where you get iMessage and phone call integration with your Mac, along with other benefits I'm sure.  Android is trying to catch up with things like RCS + Android Messages (texting) on the web (Google's attempted answer to iMessage, but not really there), Duo (Google's answer to Facetime), and Microsoft's Your Phone app for notification and phone call integration to a Windows computer.  But it's still nowhere as richly integrated as the Apple ecosystem.  Chances are you, you would be more comfortable sticking with your existing platform, IMHO.

Would love to know what you ended up deciding!  Or if you haven't yet, do you have any follow up questions?  If you're headed to Android, we can help with links to guides on the best ways to transfer over your data, deregister iMessage so you don't miss messages from iPhone friends (though they will complain that you've become the "wrong" bubble colour, I'm sure), etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ed404

@srlawren wrote:

With an iPhone, you just have to trust Apple.  

Apple's devices are more secure compared to Android devices against typical malware, but trusting Apple comes at a cost. I find Apple users fill their iPhones up with way too much vital personal data because they treat it as an unbreakable vault. Remember those iCloud leaks, celebrities trusted Apple too much, don't make the same mistake.

Today, selling data is prominent and I'm not sure signing on with Apple is the right move considering how little customizability they offer. I'd sooner start from scratch on Android than trust Apple whose painted on target on their backs.

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh @srlawren ! 🙂

He didn't say Chinese _made_. He said Chinese _make_.

@Anonymous actually that's a good point.  The devil is in the details. 

Honestly though, if you're a bit paranoid about security, you have way more control over it on an Android phone.  Unlock the bootloader (assuming it's allowed by your model), install custom recovery, and then wipe the device clean and install a custom ROM* you trust more than the OEM's ROM.  Root it and modify to your heart's content to meet your tinfoil-induced needs.  With an iPhone, you just have to trust Apple.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

Absolutely I would take iPhone XR 64GB. For security purpose I won't buy any Chinese make cell phone. 

@hycm53 out of curiosity, where was your iPhone XR made?

Oh @srlawren ! 🙂

He didn't say Chinese _made_. He said Chinese _make_. While could be a happy coincidence if he's ESL...it's still right.

🙂

srlawren

@hycm53 wrote:

Absolutely I would take iPhone XR 64GB. For security purpose I won't buy any Chinese make cell phone. 

@hycm53 out of curiosity, where was your iPhone XR made?

lisaz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ed404

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

If you want a durable phone I wouldn't recommend an Apple device I swear they're designed to break. 

Aren't most? Glass backs?

You're right most of them are now... I wish they weren't it's just another surface that can crack and warrant replacement. I still standby Apple devices break easier because I've seen way more cracked iPhones than Android devices.

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I dumped Apple years ago, perhaps on the '3' as well, when the update allowed my phone to recognize and block capatability with all outlet plugs that weren't made specifically by Apple. Yes in the old days they used a standard USB plug.

Anyhoooo, I bought a Oneplus One and haven't looked back. I now have a 6T and still love it. They sell a really good screen cover, mine shattered but saved my screen in doing so, and yes get a case. All phones break if you drop them enough however.

I love that the Oneplus is now capatable with all bandwidths so it'll work in Europe or wherever. Well, lots of things I love about it as you can see. 🙂 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@lisaz wrote:
Having trouble deciding btwn a couple phones. Currently using iPhone 6, own a Mac.

Most important for me is durability as I use my phones for 3-5 years and have a habit of dropping it a few times/month (always use screen protector and case).

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As much as I dislike Apple, unless you like getting under the hood of your device, android software isn't a deciding factor for a casual user. Apple support for older phones is light years ahead of android (And it should be for the high price you pay) Android is way better than it used to be but just look at how often and long iOS gets updated compared to most high end android phones. JMHO

@Ed404 wrote:

If you want a durable phone I wouldn't recommend an Apple device I swear they're designed to break. 

Aren't most? Glass backs?

Ed404

If you want a durable phone I wouldn't recommend an Apple device I swear they're designed to break. Oneplus on the other hand has more storage and repairability is much easier and cheaper! If you plan to a keep a phone that long Android is the way to go especially when you can install custom roms to get the latest Android if you want it.

Reasons for buying the Apple would be staying within the Apple ecosystem because you own a Mac, but you may not use the whole Apple systme combined with an iPhone.

Neither phone is designed like a tank, so maybe don't buy a really expensive flag ship phone and buy something a bit older or better yet buy a rugged phone if performance doesn't really matter to you.

@lisaz 

If you own a Mac, I would suggest the iPhone XR. It should last you several years.  Just got the same iphone and it is an excellent phone. Excellent camera and good battery life. You will notice a significant improvement over your iPhone 6. I did buy a phone case though. 

mimmo

I'm not an apple person, but since you are used to apple and iOS and you have a Mac I would go with the iPhone. It's provides better / seamless integration. 

As for spec and comparison between the two can't help you there.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@lisaz wrote:

It has been a long time since I have used an iPhone as I had the 3 and 4s.  I just got my OnePlus 7 2 weeks ago and it has been a great phone so far.  Close to 2 days on a charge and super fast charging.  If you have a Mac and are currently an iPhone you may want to stay with that platform for continuity.  I am not sure how Mac plays with Android for how they interact.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

If you want durable, get tb

@lisaz wrote:

The iPhone XR is water resistant. That adds durability. For drops, get a heavy duty case.

Need Help? Let's chat.