Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iPhone Question

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Ok here is a super weird situation

Any Apple experts with an idea?

Wife had sent etransfer through RBC bank app to her sister

About 2 days later I randomly received a message at home my wife was trying to airdrop me something and it appeared to be a screenshot of her banking info from the etransfer (???)

I confronted her about the security risks in something like that and (where it gets weird imo) is she not only had not attempted to send me anything, she had already ERASED all the info from her phone... so WHERE is the phone saving the data and HOW is it sending me an erased file?

It concerns me alot as beyond being totally random I can not even imagine how the device did this

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c did your wife actually screenshot the transfer info when she did the transfer?  Seems a bit odd to start with.

Honestly, you might be better reaching out to the Apple support forums, or somewhere like iMore's community.  This has nothing to do with Public Mobile.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

You have to be fairly close for Air Drop. Air Drop has settings for sending and accepting for each device. When a sender Air Drops they have to see you on their device, then tap to send....then you have to accept.

Sharing pics amongst multiple devices on ONE iCloud account  can happen automatically. But that too requires settings to be in place. Are you sharing ONE iCloud account with some one else? Sharing happens seamlessly if both users are on Data or Wifi and both devices can be thousands of miles apart. 

There is another way to share albums with another user, not on same iCloud account, but I don’t know how it works.

I think it was airdrop

I am not sure but never seen anything like this before on any OS & as I said in original post and a few people chipped in its pretty freaky for security wise

Imagine if had a family member on WiFi or worse a guest.

Phones were in same house, different floors and at opposite end of house (mine is at east end of home on first floor, wifes at west end of home on second floor)

Our home is pretty large so we are fairly far apart

And remember as stated in first post, she had already deleted the picture off her phone (I checked) days before the iPhone attempted to airdrop it to me (without any prompt from her.... trust me this was a transfer to someone she def had not wanted me to know about.... I was more concerned with safety / security than worrying about the family leech)

Air drop only works if you are close to the other device and say the wife initiated to send it and you accepted it. 

A pic can sync to another phone if you "share an album" them with another user. 

A file to sync to another device or "family sharing" could be...but I am unfamiliar with.

But if OP is for SURE saying Air Drop..then how close were the devices???

And limit what you sync to the iCloud. I only do pics, notes and contacts. 

Do you both share the iTunes and iCloud accounts or each have your own?

Personally I stay away from Banking APPS. All my banking and credit card alerts are by email and any business to check purchases and download statements are done from their website at home on either a iMac or MacBook. NOT on iPhone or iPad. 

Lets see what air drop does and what is needed to use it. 

Since AirDrop uses Bluetooth, you don’t even need an Internet connection or a Wi-Fi network to make it work, though you can use a Wi-Fi network if you want. That means you can use AirDrop to fling files to and fro in places that you normally can’t—airplanes, cruise ships, and camping trips, to mention a few.

So....how close was your phone to your wifes......????

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@kav2001c that sounds scary. I suggest telling her to delete her RBC app and leave airdrop disabled. apparently you can airdrop from 30 feet away. someone can be just outside the house and they would be able to do the things you're describing. 

go into her phone apps and check to see if their are any apps installed that you don't recognize. there are apps that can mimic(overlay) the banking apps. it's more safe to use the browser when banking online.

it might be a good idea to do a factory reset on the phone. change all your passwords and start unlinking all your online activity

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. browsers
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Is her iPhone synced to the cloud?

For example you take a picture with the phone. It's now on your phone. If you have synced turned on it also syncs to your cloud. Now you delete the picture from the phone but that picture is still on the cloud. You can access it and download it to devices again.

Or is it not synced. Meaning you take a picture. It on the phone and when you delete it It's gone for good and can't be retrieved (well that part is not entirely true) you can still retrieve them with different programs but we won get into that lol. For everyday users once deleted not synced and uploaded to cloud, it's gone for good.

So I'm thinking be it a screenshot or pic or wtv sycned to her cloud and she just deleted from her phone. 

As for airdrop. Are yous all set up on the same network or wtv to airdrop things to each other?..maybe the cloud tried to airdrop you the file? I'm not sure on that part.

Others will chime in...

Need Help? Let's chat.