cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a USB Modem with public? what Model?

ChowtimeApricot
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Any one know if a Huawei E1552 USB modem will work with PM?

The reason I'm asking is I want to setup a Asterisk server on a RPi using a USB Modem. It seems like the E1552 is one of the better supported Modems for this.

I also have a Telus branded E182E in my hands right now but I cant seem to get it to work.

Never mind. Someone keeps deleting my posts.

9 REPLIES 9

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

E1552:

GSM frequency bands:850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS frequency bands:

900, 2100

I assume GSM 850/1900 is different than HSDPA / WCDMA / UMTS and the E1552 will not work?

@ChowtimeApricot Whenever you see GSM it is, almost always, 2G which is being shuttered in Canada. Data speeds are quite slow on 2G.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

The only censorship I've observed on this forum is removal of the most obviously intolerable stuff - spam links, adult links, etc.

And posts are routinely edited to remove personal information (phone numbers, account numbers, etc) whenever they're seen, of course. And threads are often demoted to the Lounge once they've drifted beyond usefulness. And I've seen a few obnoxious "people" (that is, their accounts and posts) mysteriously vanish, apparently banned and blacklisted forever, after repeated warnings about nasty unsocial behaviours.

And the kludgy forum software sometimes "loses" posts. Usually because repeated edits or bad html syntax triggers the spam filters.

But otherwise there's no censorship. You can speak freely and criticize PM or praise PM's competitors as you like - provided you're civil, you're contributing something useful to the PM Community, and you desist when asked.

The Oracles don't seem to really enjoy the chore of keeping bad children in line. But they will take necessary action when necessary action is the better course.

@ChowtimeApricot  Click on your icon (top right of page) and the select your profile to see if your posts are there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChowtimeApricot 

No one's deleting your posts. Apparently it's a spam defense the system does. If you post quickly or edit quickly then it thinks you might be a spammer and removes the message. There's a link to get to them somewhere but I don't have it handy.

An mod that is no longer here used to have a way to allow this without filtering but it seems no one can find how she did it. Alas.

ChowtimeApricot

My replies keep getting removed. Not just here but an old post I made months ago too.

I guess I'll post elsewhere. This community seems to be for less technical questions.

ChowtimeApricot

@Luddite 

With every fibre of my being I want nothing more than a "cloud cellphone". I wrote this Python app to work with Linux and ofono. It will take SMS and MMS messages from a linux host and forward it to matrix/riot so I can reply to it anywhere. Think of Google Messages letting you text from the web but I built it myself.

I forward my phone calls from PM to voip.ms and everything is perfect. I have a home voip setup and it works well.

my PM phone sits at home plugged in 100% of the time and it bridges my SMS/MMS and forwards my calls. I use lucky $15 dataonly plan as my real phone and zoiper for calls and riot.im android client for SMS/MMS and I love it.

I'm looking to remove the cent a minute overhead by rolling my own server that uses my cell minutes.

is this the best approach? Probably not. I want it and it seems to be possible so I'm trying to do it.

ChowtimeApricot

E1552:

GSM frequency bands:850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS frequency bands:

900, 2100

I assume GSM 850/1900 is different than HSDPA / WCDMA / UMTS and the E1552 will not work?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ChowtimeApricot Are you sure cellular data, rather than wired internet, is the best approach for delivering a voip service to multiple clients? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot  It needs to support HSDPA / WCDMA / UMTS 850/1900 MHz to work because public uses 3G for calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.