cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any possible downside in getting a phone from another carrier to use on PM?

garth97
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd like to change my current phone for a TCL 20S, but currently I'm only able to find it at other carriers or The Source, but even The Source only offer it marked as one of 2 other carriers. I can't seem to find it as generic. Now I know all phones sold in Canada are supposed to be unlocked, so I should be able to buy one (full price) from another carrier and just bring it over. But I'm wondering if there's any downsides.

I know many years ago carriers had to approve updates/upgrades, is this still a thing? Or is there any other potential problems?

12 REPLIES 12

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@garth97 

You can order from Koodo online without having to go out and deal with the reps. Add the phone to cart by selecting the "Retail Price" option and go through the checkout process, select the cheapest plan. Once you receive the phone, make sure it's not a lemon* and then cancel the plan same day.

Same method works for the 20 Pro 5G, when you select "Retail Price" the free TV is listed as part of the deal (screenshot this for proof just in case). Go through checkout, select cheapest plan. Once you get the phone, register for the TV. As soon as you get the TV, cancel the plan 😈

*For the ~1% chance of lemon phone, getting a replacement while still on contract is 100% easier. Credit to my friend for this tip lol.

@garth97 wrote:

@fujiyama 

Getting it at Koodo was my plan, I would have first tried to say it's for a gift to someone already with them...

This tactic often doesn't work.  If there's no commission, there's often very little reason for the store to sell. A corporately owned location may be a little more relaxed at selling a device for full price, but unfortunately, it can be difficult to tell which stores are owned by Telus unless you ask the people working there. 

garth97
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@fujiyama 

Getting it at Koodo was my plan, I would have first tried to say it's for a gift to someone already with them...

Updates at different times I'm good with, never coming is something else.

I did eye that TCL 20 Pro 5G promo, but their application page seems to make it quite clear you have to have it activated with the carrier you bought it with to get the TV...

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I see Telus and Koodo both sell this phone.

Koodo link (they're also the cheapest, $425 full price)

You can buy it out right from Koodo, choose to pay upfront for the phone with the cheapest plan and cancel the plan when you get home.👍 

There's no downsides to using a phone from another carrier. You may get updates at different times but that's not a big deal IMO.

BTW, if you're willing to pay full price you might want to consider the TCL 20 Pro 5G, you can get a free TV with it right now. Works out to $400ish each for phone and TV, so you get a new TV or sell it to cover the phone 😎.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@garth97 : You can find used phones at repair places. Some stores will sell some phones outright: London Drugs, Staples, Costco. I'm not talking about the low-level so-called unlocked phones (which they might also have). There's a little outfit in Richmond BC I stumbled across that sells outright. I bought my Samsung A31 from them last year. easycellular.com . They only do mail-order now (I mail-ordered last year). I'm sure there are lots of little cell shops that sell phones outright.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@garth97 

Virtually ANY newer device being sold (within the past few years) within stores in North America can be used with Public Mobile's service.  

If you're purchasing the phone IN Canada at a retail location (or with a Canadian Wireless Service Provider), it will NOT be locked to any particular carrier.

Go crazy!!!

@softech wrote:

Most phone with Bell should work with Telus and PM

All will work assuming that it has a SIM card slot. The network is shared.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@garth97  As Source is now owned by Bell, I think they only sell Bell's phone.  Most phone with Bell should work with Telus and PM

I can't find the exact spec of TCL 20S.   But here are the bands used for PM

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

4G = B2 (1900), B4/B66 (2100 or 1700), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12/B17 (700), B13 (700), B29 (700-Suppl. DL), B30 (2300)
3G = B2(1900) B5 (850)

So if your phones have some of these bands, it will work on PM

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Iirc Many carriers require you to have an active line with them, basically they won't sell you a phone outright.  I tried once at Walmart and was told no go.  

Staples and Costco often have phones you can buy outright.

@garth97 wrote:

I'd like to change my current phone for a TCL 20S, but currently I'm only able to find it at other carriers or The Source, but even The Source only offer it marked as one of 2 other carriers. I can't seem to find it as generic. Now I know all phones sold in Canada are supposed to be unlocked, so I should be able to buy one (full price) from another carrier and just bring it over. But I'm wondering if there's any downsides.

I know many years ago carriers had to approve updates/upgrades, is this still a thing? Or is there any other potential problems?

You might have difficulty purcahsing a device without being or activating a Bell service. The Source locations are essentially Bell corporate stores. There may also be issues with a carrier not helping with warranty service if you don't have an active account with them, although in most cases, you can deal directly with the manufactuer's authorized service centre.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@garth97 wrote:

@garth97 

Are you buying it new? If just 'new to you" always check to see if it needs to be unlocked by its previous provider.

If you know the IMEI, you can check to see if it is blacklisted.

Check if your phone is blacklisted here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Always good to check whether a phone will work with any provider, especially Public Mobile. Use more than one source to be sure.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

https://willmyphonework.net

esjliv_0-1620698328136.png

Need Help? Let's chat.