cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news of eSIM

kmonmoy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Will PM have eSIM anytime soon? I need a new dual sim phone and it seems all new ones comes with one SIM slot and the other as eSIM. One of my SIM is from another country with roaming support and they do not have eSIM. So, I need Publicmobile with eSIM. 

I see a lot of discussions on eSIM from 2020. Anyone knows any new update for 2021? 

16 REPLIES 16

jrivas24

That is correct. PM does not support eSim. If you have an eSim compatible phone, you can use the Airalo app and purchase eSims in 1 click but my phone is not eSim compatible so I use an adapter called eSim.me. it is a sim card that turns our Android phone into an eSim compatible phone to download eSims such as Airalo eSims. I am in Florida right now and using my PM phone number for calling and texting with the US add-on and for data I am using an Airalo eSim using my eSim.me adapter in an old phone and tethering the data to my phone. It works like a charm. Hope this helps you.

andyh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@jrivas24  Are you saying you are a Public Mobile customer and also use Airalo eSim? That's what I want to do but a rep from PM told me that I can't because PM doesn't support eSIM. I'm very confused as I thought it was a function of the phone but he's saying otherwise. thanks in advance!

jrivas24

@hTideGnow correct. Downloading and setting up eSims on Airalo for Canada and other countries is a breeze with the eSim.me adapter but when I tried to do it with Lucky Mobile, it did not work. I did not try it with other Canadian providers though so not sure.

Thanks @jrivas24   So, it is useful to setup other countries plan when eSIM available.  But with your Lucky experience, it might not work for all carrier.  You tried other Canadian carriers like Rogers or Bell?

jrivas24

@hTideGno, eSim.me is a nano sim card that converts a phone without eSim into a phone capable of using eSim. My phone is not eSim compatible but I am still able to purchase and use eSims internationally and even in Canada if I insert my eSim.me nano sim card into my phone.

HI @jrivas24   What is the point of using a non-eSIM adapter if your phone does  not  have eSIM?

jrivas24

Lucky Mobile has eSim connectivity. I wanted to try it out and see if it worked for me but sadly it did not. My phone with my eSim.me adapter could not download the Lucky Mobile eSim profile. Got an error message that not even a Bell expert was able to overcome. I use Airalo eSims whenever I travel and they work flawlessly with my eSim.me adapter on my non-eSim phone. Patiently waiting on the news that PM will start offering eSim at some point in the future.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think Lucky Mobile is the only tier 3 carrier that offers eSIM.

pavalavel21

This is kinda frustrating to not have the esim feature, I have been with PM for over two years now, honestly better coverage than any other Tier 1 networks at a deep discounted price.

Is there anyone from the PM customer service team that can actually comment about this issue? Most of the discussions are by customers, so just trying find out an official update.

@computergeek541 

You might be right. Telus wouldn't normally want to compete against itself.

But you might be wrong. Public Mobile might be the very last holdout of the Big Three subsidiaries which joins the eSIM party. At which point the idea of "competing" hardly seems relevant.

@Korth wrote:

If/when Public Mobile finally gets around to supporting features like eSIMs and VoLTE, you can be sure to expect all sorts of proud announcements and advertisements about it. They won't make it easy to let these exciting consumer commodities quietly slip under the radar, lol.

I disagree with the above. Telus wants postpaid customers much more than they want prepaid customers.  I believe that if and when eSIM and VoLTE arrive, there will be little mention of it.  They might want to keep it quiet.

If/when Public Mobile finally gets around to supporting features like eSIMs and VoLTE, you can be sure to expect all sorts of proud announcements and advertisements about it. They won't make it easy to let these exciting consumer commodities quietly slip under the radar, lol.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile is a tier 3 brand.  It will be the last to receive anything.  That is the design of the brand.  You get what you pay for.  For those of us seeking value over features, this is the place to be.  

at the moment, I think none of the Tier 3 are allowing eSIM.  probably need one of these 3 providers to start, and the other 2 will follow.  

On the other hand, only Apply is pushing hard on eSIM and Samsung  and other Android makers are not going all in with eSIM in Canada yet.  I don't see there is any urgency for  any of these budget carrier to adopt the new technology yet.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kmonmoy 

at public mobile they not offer eSIM..

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@kmonmoy   from what we know, there is no news on eSIM.  

No news is NOT good news  in this case 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.