cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Annoying, persistent Android notification: "Sign into network"

I've got a Moto G (first gen), Android 5.0.2, and a Public Mobile plan without data. Ever since upgrading to Android Lollipop, I routinely get a notification saying "Sign into network", particularly when I turn off or disconnect from wifi. If I dismiss the notification, it will just show up again later.

Obviously this doesn't have a significant effect on my phone use, but it is annoying. I've tried a couple of things, including changing the APN (Access Point Names) to the settings recommended by Public. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks in advance.

Retraité / Retired

Re: Annoying, persistent Android notification: "Sign into network"

@smallflightless To me this looks like a phone issue, it can be some app installed which is pushing the notification to your phone. You mentioned it started after the software update to lollipop did you install any app after the update? 

Mayor / Maire

Almost all people who own a Moto G have problem with their phone after they updated to Lollipop.

No, this isn't a phone issue - it comes from Android System, not any third-party app. But I was able to solve the problem by turning off the following option: Settings > Data usage > Cellular data.

Mayor / Maire

@smallflightless,

Good thing to do if you do not have DATA per month.

Motorola may have introduced some bug in Lollipops.

I have the same notification popping up every 20 min on my Nexus 5 with Android 6.0. When I touch th e notification a window is trying to navigate to https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/zero-balance. Under the menu icon I have two options Do not use this network or Use this network as is. I have already chosed the second one a few times.

If I visit the link in Chrome I get : You need a data Add-on to access the web. Visit Self Serve to add one.

Screenshot_20151113-131517.png

Screenshot_20151113-134812.png

I have tried changing the Prefered network type from LTE to 3G butI still got the notification.

Here is my APN configuration:

Name: Public Mobile
      APN: sp.mb.com
      Proxy: Not set
      Port: Not set
      Username: Not set
      Password: Not set
      Server: Not set 
      MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
      MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
      MMS port: 80 
      MCC: 302 
      MNC: 220 
      Authentication type: Not set 
      APN type: Not set

How can get rid of this notification ? I can't turn off Cellular data, because I would like to be able to send and receive picture messages.

Thanks

Oracle

@smallflightless Unfortunately, I believe you will not be able to send/receive picture messages with data "off".

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello @smallflightless,

I think I might have a solution for you. When we were with our previous carrier, my wife did not have data on her plan and would get charged when data was on and she sent MMS messages (background processes on android). So, when we modified the APN settings it disabled all data except MMS protocols and worked like a charm. She is still with Virgin mobile on a Nexus 4 and lollipop, so should work for you too.

Go to your APN settings as shown in the attached image then under APN type, edit it and remove everything except MMS. I can't remember if default was also left, but try that out and see if it makes a difference.,

Screenshot_20151113-174727.png

Thanks for your sugestion, but unfortunalty it does not work, I'm still having the annoing notification.

Here is my APN settings, maybe I did something wrong:

Screenshot_20151113-215434.pngScreenshot_20151113-215445.pngScreenshot_20151113-215454.png

Mayor / Maire

Hey @ionut_baban,

I just compared your APN settings to mine and here are the 2 differences:  APN type: Not set, MVNO: None.

If this screen shot is after implementing @youbme's suggestion, then this is not what he meant.. I think he meant that you delete the sp.mb.com under APN and then save.. perhaps he will comment on this later.