cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android updates for S7

oh-well
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with Public Mobile for 2 or more years now and my phone is still on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. How come the Android updates have not been pushed to my phone? Checked for manual download and says my phone is up to date with latest software.

10 REPLIES 10

Horemansuk

Sammobile.com is your friend.

Download the updadate from there. You also need Odin and a Windows computer.

You will need some computer skills, the instructions are detaledd on Sammobile and many other sites.

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can also update the phone using a stock carrier from sammobile.com, updato.com, or samsung-firmware.org with Odin.

oh-well

Should be Canada because i bought it from wind at the time.

oh-well

Phone was from Freedom Mobile but when i did the switch set the factory settings to Telus. I can't remember how I did it but it was like entering # a bunch of numbers and it allows you to choose the factory setting to another carrier.

oh-well

The phone was originally from Freedom Mobile and when i did the switch i changed the phone to default to the Telus factory settings.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I mentioned it because I had the same issue with my phone, click check updates and nothing happened swapped sim and boom update was available.  

Samsung vs essential are different yes that is why I mentioned it. 

Also if the phone is rooted that might cause no updates I think

@mimmo wrote:

I managed to update my essential by adding a non Telus sim (it was inactive).  Not sure if that will work for your phone.

Essential is very different in the android space.  They are in a rare group that treat software updates as part of an included service with the phone purchase, much like Apple which provide cradle to grave software support.  Samsung on the other hand sees software support as a competitor to future phone sales.  This is one of the major reasons why I mock the brand so much. 

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are you using the global version of the S7 or the Canada version? Quite possibly the phone is geo-blocked to a specific region and you might need to download a VPN and trick the server it's connecting to that you're from a region where it's supported.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I managed to update my essential by adding a non Telus sim (it was inactive).  Not sure if that will work for your phone.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

The S7 has Android 8 update already

Are you using Smart Switch?

Need Help? Let's chat.