cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Wi-Fi Hotspot not working

Jeff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone having issue when Wifi hotspot is enabled, others devices connected has no internet connection? Devices can connect fine however can't access the internet,it was always working but not today?

53 REPLIES 53

AndroidUser25
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same problem. It was on a phone that runs on an old version of Android (KitKat 4.2). I use the phone as my Wifi-hotspot. When the conectivity problem occured, the phone would allow other devices to connect via Wi-Fi. However, connected devices could not pages on a broswer. I was bummed about this and could not figure out what the problem was. My data connection was on. The issue was not the Internet service provider either because I could share Internet via USB teethering and it would work just fine.

Anyway, I noticed that the problem was due to Wi-Fi throttling. Diable/uncheck this option and viola! Wi-Fi hotspot works perfectly as before. The setting in my case is found in wi-fi hotspot settings >> Bandwidth Usage, Keep in mind that access to the mentioned setting may differ depending on your Android version.

helpneeded

I also previously had an issue with the iPhone Hotspot. I can confirm Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network > APN sp.mb.com fixed my hotspot issue on iOS 12. Hopefully this will help others that has the same problem as me.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Oszkari please keep us posted 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Oszkari

Thanks for the reply! I can turn on the hotspot, the client (ipad) can connect to the wifi hotspot but the internet will not work.

I will try to reach out to a moderator as you suggested.

srlawren

@Oszkari out of curiosity, what happens when you try to use it?  Are you unable to turn the hotspot on on your phone?  Are you unable to connect a client device?  Are you able to enable, and connect, but the client device reports no internet available? 

You may want to reach out to the moderator team to check your account for any provisioning errors that may lead to this situation:

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Oszkari

Hi,

I have recently moved an android phone from Telus to PM. Eversince then the wifi hotspot stopped working. Internet is working just fine on the phone using the recommdended APN settings however sharing does not. 

Some people on the forum had success by adding the dun apn type, but not me.

Im running 4.4 android. Any idea what else i can try?

thanks!

vondes

Is it work with https://mobile-phone-tracker.org/ mobile recorder on Android?

@Alexo wrote:

i got a call from a Telus tech.

The problem has been confirmed to be a misconfigured rule in their system, and is supposed to have been fixed by now.

I have tested tethering and it works right now, so if you still have a problem, it should be due to something else.

Confirmed, working back to normal - at least for now. 

KuroKei
I got a call as well but missed it.

Anyway I tested it. It is working!

TTTTTT

Just tested it. Everything is as it should. 4 days of frustration as to what was wrong. At the cottage all week. I do rely on my hotspotSmiley Happy

Glad its fixed.

Thx to all who got things going!

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

i got a call from a Telus tech.

The problem has been confirmed to be a misconfigured rule in their system, and is supposed to have been fixed by now.

I have tested tethering and it works right now, so if you still have a problem, it should be due to something else.

One question remains: why did it take 4 working days to diagnose and fix?

Vivo5

Thank you Dear,

Already I did.

KuroKei
It's been confirmed to be a problem and they are looking at it.

I suggest you pm the mods so they can log a ticket for you.

Robbb
I'm having this issue, too. Hotspot has always worked fine, and now suddenly it doesn't. It's been happening at least since Tuesday, thigh may have started earlier.

TTTTTT
Same setup here. Still not working since Tues. Pls fix asap

Rockdaddy22
Great news, hopefully it's speedy

Alexo
According to a PM I got from a moderator, the technical team is aware of the wide-spread problem and is working to find a fix.

cs1986

@logikol wrote:

Hi all,

Just want to provide an update. Although it shows that "internet access" is established on my computer when tethering from my iPhone 6 Plus, websites/chat/internet traffic is not going through. 

INTERESTINGLY, however, I am able to log into the publicmobile self service site and access my account and details (though, painfully slow). No other site is working. I have tried restarting the phone, turning off data then restarting and turning it back on, resetting network settings, deleting all profiles, connecting via wifi/usb/bluetooth all to no avail....this was across two different devices and PM sim cards.

@CS_Agent PLEASE HELP!

Tethering via my Pixel is broken since Tuesday as well.  I can confirm that only publicmobile.ca is allowed, everything else is blocked. 

Adding "dun" to APN type list did not work for me. My phone is already on sp.mb.com. I've tested tethering via bloutooth and wifi, both are broken. @CS_Agent please fix it on your end or provide a solution.

logikol
I have the latest update on both my phones and nothing worked except for this manual change to sp.mb.com

(Note, a previous post indicated that sb.mb.com worked for their android device. This did not work for my iPhones)

Vivo5

Hi

yes it is a global problem and I thinke they will not fix it soon -- looks to me

Rockdaddy22
I believe it should auto populate the apn if you update to 10.3.3 and the latest carrier update.

logikol

I got a call from a PM rep and his solution worked on my iPhone!

Go to Settings, Cellular, Cellular Data Options, Cellular Data Network

and change it from isp.mb.com to sp.mb.com

That's it! No restart required. I just did this on my phone and it worked! Give it a shot!

Alexo
Tethering used to work for me with default configuration (no "dun") and adding it did not help.

A mood opened a ticket for me and a tech contacted me today to troubleshoot. He said he got enough info and would call me when it's resolved. Waiting...

srlawren

Thanks @computergeek541!  I was having this problem still with my "test" 3G SIM in an old phone, but adding dun to the APN resolved it.  Great work!

Ok, I've managed to get tethering to work.  The solution (as talked about earlier) is to add  the access point type of dun to the APN sb.mb.com.  This is a pain because my phone greys everything out and doensn't allow any changes, and you have to create a new access point.  This is a workaround, but it still doesn't explain why the isp.mb.com for dun no longer works. 

I have also figured out that if your phone doesn't allow changes to the pre-existing APN, you can just create a second APN for sp.mb.com with APN type of dun, but you don't need to input the rest of the settings.  The phone will succesfully use both APN entries for sp.mb.com in combination.  Now, if your phone doensn't grey out the ability to edit the existing access point, you can just add the dun settting to APN type.

Making a long story short:  There is still something wrong on the Public Mobile end.  isp.mb.com has stopped working for dun (tethering).  Adding the APN type of dun to sp.mb.com (or creating a second APN entry of sp.mb.com with APN type of dun) should get you up and running.

Some thing is still messed up on the Public Mobile end.  This isn't a phone issue, at least in my case.  Tethering used to work but it has just stopped.  Nothing has changed on my end.  The connection looks fine to the tethered device (my laptop) and it shows as having a valid internet connection but no traffic comes through. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@logikol, are you able to swap sims with your brother? This would be a good test. 🙂

logikol

Hi all,

Just want to provide an update. Although it shows that "internet access" is established on my computer when tethering from my iPhone 6 Plus, websites/chat/internet traffic is not going through. 

INTERESTINGLY, however, I am able to log into the publicmobile self service site and access my account and details (though, painfully slow). No other site is working. I have tried restarting the phone, turning off data then restarting and turning it back on, resetting network settings, deleting all profiles, connecting via wifi/usb/bluetooth all to no avail....this was across two different devices and PM sim cards.

ALSO INTERESTINGLY, my brother who lives 20 minutes away from me who is also using PM has no issues with tethering on his Nexus 6P.

@CS_Agent PLEASE HELP!

Rockdaddy22
Im still not experiencing any issues on iOS 10.3.3. @Alexo your sounds different, have you contacted a mod?

logikol
Did all of this and still not working. Did this for two of my public mobile phones (iPhone 6 and 6plus).

On my computers and iPad, it says it's connected and displays an up address and even says "internet access" but nothing works. Looks like there is a port that is being blocked on PM's end? Please fix as I need it for business!
Need Help? Let's chat.