cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Wi-Fi Hotspot not working

Jeff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone having issue when Wifi hotspot is enabled, others devices connected has no internet connection? Devices can connect fine however can't access the internet,it was always working but not today?

53 REPLIES 53

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey all,

thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your tethering !

I understand that some of you have been experiencing some issues trying to connect to your personal hotspot. I wanted to share a a troubleshooting tip that may help, can you please give it a try?

Reset the connection from the connected equipment to the phone: To do this:

1 - In the Wireless settings of the connected equipment, “forget” the connection to the phone.

2  - Refresh the available wireless connection list, select the mobile device name from the list of available wireless networks, re-enter the hotspot password for the phone and reconnect. This establishes a new “fresh” connection.

- Connect a different device/phone to the hotspot and test the connection. If the data does not work only on the initial device, the problem is with that hardware specifically and refer to the manufacturer for support.

Please let us know how it goes !

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is still not working for me.  Hopefully, the back office will resolve the problem quickly. 

I posted to the other thread, also experiencing problems.  No setting changes on my Nexus 5, sb.mb.com as I used to use on the iPhone.

i don't know where others are getting isb.mb.com, it's never been valid for me.

userpm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Still not working for me and my wife. both PM customers and iphones.

Kingston ON.

It is working now on my end.   Maybe its temporary issue. ?!

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Strange that it's working for some people and not others even with the different APN settings that have been suggested (I'm that it's hit or miss). At the same time, you'd think it was a system related issue that it would be broken across the board for everyone. Perhaps it's tied to certain plans?

Alexo
I tried changing my APN type. Neither of the following worked:
- default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
- default,mms,agps,supl,dun,fota,hipri
- (empty)

I also tried putting the sim in an iPhone and it told me "to enable personal hotspot on this account contact Telus"

Something definitely got messed up on PM's side.

They may have found the problem, but things are most definitely not fixed.  Tethering is not working at all for me.  It's not a phone issue.  I had it working before.  With all these reports of different users have difficulties, it's clear (at least to me) that the problem is on Public Mobile's end.

Jeff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I thik PM found the problem and fixed on their end as it's working again now, I didn't changed nothing on my settings but it's back working now, thanks. 

skmkenn

This is what worked for me to get tethering working on a Galaxy A5 w/Android 6.0.1.

Navigate to your Access Point Names list ( Mobile Networks > Access Point Names) and select "Tethered Mobile Internet". The APN should be the default which is isp.mb.com, and then scroll down and change the APN Type from the default (DUN) to Internet + DUN

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Maybe try the one that doesn't work for me anymore. It might work for you.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have only ever used sp.mb.com.  It is still not working for me.

bryclops
It seems to now be working with APN sp.mb.com. Previously it used to be isp.mb.com. I'm using iPhone 6s

@Alexo wrote:
Still not working. Moderator got back to me, but their suggestions did not help

What was their suggestion, please share.

@srlawren, mine is workibng as well.  Lumia 950XL and Windows Tablet.  Finally an issue with something other then windows mobile.  LOL  I am kidding to those who are experriencing this issue.  Weird issue for it to stop working on so many devices like this.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Alexo
Still not working. Moderator got back to me, but their suggestions did not help

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am experiencing the same thing on android.  I tried rebooting and no difference.  So, they must have done something to mess this up.  Is tethering going to be a premium feature in a future sales promo?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Weirdly, it looks like mine is working fine again.  I forgot to turn it off after initial test that seemed to fail, and noticed a moment ago that I have been attached to it for some unknown amount of time and working successfully.  Weird.  Not sure what was up with the initial result!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
Not experiencing any issues with multiple iPhones on iOS 10.3.3

bryclops
It happened today to me too with my iPhone 6s. There is another thread on the issue today about an IPad. I'm waiting to hear back from the mods.

srlawren

Just did a quick test on my OnePlus 3 (Android 7.1.1) and can't even get my Win 10 laptop to connect to it, it just bounces right back to the work WiFi network I'm otherwise on at the moment.  Never had an issue before, though I don't use the feature terribly often.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Alexo
Same problem here, neither usb tethering not hotspot working today.

@CS_Agent please look into it ASAP!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Jeff, sorry to hear that you are having some issues.  I personally don't have an Android so I have first hand experience but I did find this thread that might be of some assistance

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Creating-a-HotSpot-with-an-HTC-android/m-...

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.