cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Updates - how is this managed on Public Mobile?

keltr0n
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I think it is a timely discussion to have in light of the recent stories regarding the Stagefright Android exploit. (Not sure what that is? Give this a read: http://www.androidcentral.com/stagefright-exploit-what-you-need-know)

While Stagefright is a concern, it has actually opened up a larger and longer conversation about the responsibilities of OEMs and providers in pushing out critical updates to end-user devices. While Google can and has prepared patches for Stagefright, they are now at the mercy of OEMs and carriers to get those patches out. It's a well-known fact that both carriers and OEMs can be pretty lackadaisical in how they approach this, only supporting and updating older devices.

With this in mind, what has been PM's approach in the past to ensuring their users have up-to-date software updates and patches? I understand that some of the responsibility belongs to the OEMs, the onus is on the carriers as well to ensure their users are secure on their network (not to mention the ethical implications of ensuring that your users are secure).

Any ideas on how PM handles Android patching and updates (particularly on older devices, which I think would be more commonly used on PM)? Is there anyone from PM who can comment on this?

6 REPLIES 6

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I agree with you 100%. When it comes to a security patch, pushing it out to all customers must be of utmost importance.

keltr0n

Of course! I know that the update train is a long and complex one. I also have had the unfortunate experience of waiting weeks for a carrier to push through an update after the OEM made it available. That was in the earlier daiys of Android, and I'm currently using an iPhone, so take my commentary on the matter with a grain of salt.

Either way, I don't think that carriers should sit on updates, especially when they contain security patches.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

Lest there be any misunderstanding with regard to my use of the word "immediately", please bear in mind the logistics of a carrier receiving an upgrade, and then making it available to all of its customers on its network.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

You're welcome!

I cannot comment on whether the upgrade was made available IMMEDIATELY or not. I do know, however, that VERY shortly after PM received it, Android customers did, also.

keltr0n

Thanks for the reply @Martin!

So, just to make sure I understand - once the update is made available through the OEM (in your case, Motorola), it was immediately available to you as a PM customer?

I suppose I'm less worried about the Stagefright exploit on its own (I've done my research and it doesn't sound horrendous if you take precautions), but moreso about the fact that Google has had to relenquish update and version control to OEMs and carriers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Though I am not a PM employee, I will reply until such time as an employee does.

From what I have read, Android's KitKat is not the most vunerable; prior operating systems are.

Since Hangouts is native to all Androids, automatic downloading of MMS should be disabled.

Insofar as upgrades to an operating system are concerned, when Motorola made Lollipop available to PM, PM devices were then able to download it. I have two Moto G phones, and I know that this is how it worked when the upgrade was made available to Public Mobile.
Need Help? Let's chat.