cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 8.1 APN settings

Umidigi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just got a nice new phone with android 8.1 and none of the default APN settings work with public mobile.

Also I am unable to create or edit APN settings either ??? What is going on ????

125 REPLIES 125

Umidigi

All work arounds if they do work would require rooting, except for @LEGO idea but that still left me with new APN window that I could not change anything and if I hit save it would say you can't save a empty APN.

Lets be honest, public mobiles slogan  isn't " bring you new warranty voided unlocked rooted phone and save $$, just make sure you fluent in Dos and android studio " .

SIM should just go in the unlocked phone and work just like all the other  provider's including there own Telus and Koodo. No manual editing of APN s required.

Workaround? https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/help/android-8-1-how-to-edit-cellular-apn-t3697425

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Umidigi

Hello again ! 

Well I have updated my complaint and have proved that APNs are and should be uploaded by the provider over the network. For years public mobile has relied on the customer to manually input the APNs themselves after having to research forums to find them. They don't even include this vital information on a piece of paper included with the sim card purchase!

Well now that APNs are locked on new Android systems someone is going to have to pick up a keyboard and update the network APN file. 

Until then I will wait until my complaint it upgrade to a investigation over the next 15 when this problem is not resolved.

I hope my work will help others as there old phone starts to fail and they find themselves in my boat.

Cheers !

Umidigi

OK last post for a while ,after a lot of reading, turn out that the APNs are upload by the carrier but are uneditable as a security measure. So I select public mobile as my preferred network and public mobile setting should appear automatically. But telus and koodo does instead , they "forgot" to include public mobile.

I will be updating my CCTS complaint Monday as I learn more 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Umidigi wrote:

Well Walmart will not sell me a sim , I guess this post is dead! This android 8.1 apn problem is everywhere,even googles phones ! so until you have a phone that has it you won't know. Thank for everyone for trying to help I'll just put my new phone in the drawer and hope by some miracle an update will fix this problem .

@Umidigi not quite everywhere!  I'm still able to edit and create APN's on my OnePlus 5T running Android 8.1.0:

Screenshot_20180531-232032__01.jpgScreenshot_20180531-232001.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Umidigi

Well Walmart will not sell me a sim , I guess this post is dead! This android 8.1 apn problem is everywhere,even googles phones ! so until you have a phone that has it you won't know. Thank for everyone for trying to help I'll just put my new phone in the drawer and hope by some miracle an update will fix this problem .

Umidigi

I'm still going to give it a shot , I mean a phone manufacture would have a hell of a time  maintaining and updating apns globally so the APN information must be coming from a stable local source , either the network updates the phone , or its on the Sim.

My sim has always come up under telus name even though my public mobile is printed on it, and telus and koodo show up as pre installed apns, always did (editable).That's why I always had to enter public mobiles manually.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

The APN settings are stored on the device. The SIM card is just connected to the phone number.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

Umidigi

I wonder if the APN settings are stored in the sim card , my sim card is almost 4 years old and have always had to input my APN manually.

I'm going to pick up a new sim card at Walmart and I will let you know how it goes 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@LEGO

Those links describe what to do when Essential PH-1 has unchangeable (greyed out) APN settings.  The problem is specific both to the phone and to the Android it runs, different carriers impose soft/firm locks different ways.  The most drastic options, if the others fail, are to attempt factory reset and/or root the OS.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth  OP has UMiDigi A1 Pro phone.

Problem is not with phone, but with Android 8.1.

GreatCanadian

Yes, I'm sure that will work, but I'm just surprised that you have to work around it now, which you didn't have to do before.

LEGO

You must be doing something incorrectly.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Umidigi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'll be glad to help you with your APN settings.

So, as first step of troubleshooting process, you need to make sure to set the right APN by referring to this link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

If you are still not be able to edit the APN, you have to contact your device manufacturer for further technical assistance.

Have a nice day!

Cheers

Abdoulaye

GreatCanadian

Wow. After reading this thread i decided to have a look at my APN settings. I have an Essential phone that I purchased direct from Essential. I have edited and added APN settings before, so did not expect to see mine dimmed out with no ability to edit, nor add a new APN. I'm surprised with that!!

GC

Umidigi

and a new APN cannot be created

Umidigi

I attemted your solutuion, and it did not work 😞

Edit APN field appered but it is all greyed out and changes cannot be made.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,

If you have any questions concerning your account send us a privaye message : 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Umidigi

I am going to try it right now. Was hopeing find out why Public Mobile would be doing this but that looks like it is going to take a while.

@will13am wrote:

Today, I initiated an inquiry with the CRTC ...

Please post an update for us when you have a response, lol.

LEGO

@Umidigi Have you tried solution provided in my previous post? Woman Frustrated

Umidigi

I just finished doing the same thing, after a lot of reading and I'm almost 100% sure this is the carrier not uploading the sp.mb.com APN settings.

I don't mind so much that its locked but atleast upload the right settings I mean the only have 3 sets to remember ! But I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad Smiley LOL

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Today, I initiated an inquiry with the CRTC concerning APN blocking and whether such actions constitute a contravention of the wireless code governing unlocked phones.  Let see what the CRTC has to say.  Hopefully other concerned customers will bring the matter to the CRTC's attention.  The more visibility this issue receives, the better. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Umidigi wrote:

My phone is the umidigi A1 pro.

This particular problem seems to be android version specific , it even effects the google pixel

Yup, I have the Google Pixel 2 and i can neither edit the APN setting nor add a new one. 

I checked with a colleage this morning who is running a Rogers sourced pixel, android 8.1, May 2015 security patch.  Rogers has NOT disabled the APN addition function.  The future is definitely no longer as friendly as it used to be at Telus.  I wonder if this has to do with Joe moving from Telus to Rogers.

@will13am are we sure this is carrier-specific?  My OnePlus 5T was already on Oreo 8.0 (and possibly 8.1?) before I moved it from PM to Koodo, and neither 8.0 nor 8.1 on either provider has restricted me from adding an APN.  

Your phone is not carrier sourced, mine is.  Same with the colleague's pixel.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Umidigi wrote:

This particular problem seems to be android version specific , it even effects the google pixel

Yup, I have the Google Pixel 2 and i can neither edit the APN setting nor add a new one. 

I checked with a colleage this morning who is running a Rogers sourced pixel, android 8.1, May 2015 security patch.  Rogers has NOT disabled the APN addition function.  The future is definitely no longer as friendly as it used to be at Telus.  I wonder if this has to do with Joe moving from Telus to Rogers.

@will13am are we sure this is carrier-specific?  My OnePlus 5T was already on Oreo 8.0 (and possibly 8.1?) before I moved it from PM to Koodo, and neither 8.0 nor 8.1 on either provider has restricted me from adding an APN.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Umidigi

Did you try restarting the phone after changing APN settings?

Have you also configured the network/carrier/operator as "Public Mobile" (or "automatic")?

Have you logged into your Self-Serve account to confirm Data is active on your plan?

UMIDIGI A1 Pro specs look fairly compatible with the PM(Telus) network, the phone hardware won't achieve fastest possible Data speeds but it should still work well enough.

Modded OS firmware can be a great option, but it may not be strictly necessary.  Just rooting the phone should allow you to manually edit APN settings (and other goodies) in the /system/etc/apns-conf.xml or the /data/data/com.android.settings/shared_prefs/com.android.settings_preferences.x­ml file.  Sometimes it can even be as easy as deattributing a Read-Only flag then changing stuff through software as normal.

(Although on second thought, if a carrier mucked around with this detail then who knows what else they may have locked, changed, installed, or removed ... maybe modded firmware is the right choice.)

@NDesai wrote:

@Umidigi wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

@Umidigi@NDesai

To add new APN on Android 8.0 and 8.1 devices, please, try this solution: click here

Thank you for helping me locate this.  My resolve to go back to third party roms has just been elevated one notch.  Once essential stops the month security updates, lineage will be getting my business.  This kind of brinkmanship is very dangerous.  Messing with the APN configuration file and preventing APN editing can be a sneaky way of making travelers buy roaming add-ons instead of using a local service. 

LEGO

@Umidigi@NDesai

To add new APN on Android 8.0 and 8.1 devices, please, try this solution: click here

Need Help? Let's chat.