cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 8.1 APN settings

Umidigi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just got a nice new phone with android 8.1 and none of the default APN settings work with public mobile.

Also I am unable to create or edit APN settings either ??? What is going on ????

125 REPLIES 125

Durhamajp

As in no longer get allowed to change the APN

Durhamajp

From what I read the OREO 8.1.0 has taken the APN feature out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

No I can't as the plus sign didn't even come up which I was surprised at

And you still have the Bell SIM in?

If so then you might need to try the redflagdeals link I posted earlier. But I'm not sure you're in the mood for deeper technical fixes.

Edit: There's a remote possibility that the APN might become accessible using a Rogers/Fido SIM rather than a Telus/Bell SIM. Dunno.

Durhamajp

Th plus sign didn't even come on to the page

Durhamajp

No I can't as the plus sign didn't even come up which I was surprised at

Durhamajp

No it seemed to disappear

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

I couldn't do that the +APN didn't even come up as a choice

Here is someone else's info on doing the APN. Does that work for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

I very reluctant to do the App. If it will play around with the software settings on the phone.

You're just adding the APN not changing a current one. I believe there's a + (plus) key to press to add.

Durhamajp

I couldn't do that the +APN didn't even come up as a choice

Durhamajp

I very reluctant to do the App. If it will play around with the software settings on the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

I tried a Bell card in just now and works fine.

Right. So "Add" the Public Mobile (PM) APN info and then put your PM SIM back in and see what happens.

Durhamajp

I tried a Bell card in just now and works fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

I tried a different sim card from PM. Same exact issues. It keeps trying to read Sim card and start it up. It flashes on and off every few seconds. Phone heats up a lot. I can't even add the APN.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. A working SIM from another carrier.

Edit: will13am found this on RedFlagDeals. One of the more technical ideas that might work.

Durhamajp

I tried a different sim card from PM. Same exact issues. It keeps trying to read Sim card and start it up. It flashes on and off every few seconds. Phone heats up a lot. I can't even add the APN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Durhamajp wrote:

I have upgraded to Oreo 8.1.0 and since I have not had texting, data or phone since as it doesn't recognize my sim card. I tried to put in new APN settings and it doesn't allow. I have reset to factory settings 2 times. Nothing works. ASUS says contact network provider. I'm sure it is the upgrade because it was instant after the upgrade.

Did you read any of the multitude of possibilities in this thread with a few that supposedly work?

If you can put in a different SIM then sometimes that has allowed access to the APN. There are other more technical possibilities but that one is the least intrusive.

Edit: @Durhamajp: Re-reading your post...maybe try the lost/stolen trick. The fact that nothing's working maybe that'll get something working. But yes this is a known problem. And not just with Public Mobile.

Durhamajp

I have upgraded to Oreo 8.1.0 and since I have not had texting, data or phone since as it doesn't recognize my sim card. I tried to put in new APN settings and it doesn't allow. I have reset to factory settings 2 times. Nothing works. ASUS says contact network provider. I'm sure it is the upgrade because it was instant after the upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Big_Rudy wrote:

I've had my Zenfone 4 ALL OVER THE WORLD and none of these shenanigans were necessary-  pop the prepaid SIM in, and off you go:  data, text, calling, whatever.  

I've been with PM for 2 months and still can't get friggin SMS to work, and now my data has quit and there's nothing i can do with the APN settings.  Friggin joke. 

I replied with something that *might* help in the other thread you've been posting in.

Although, if you've been at it for this long it might be old news for you.

Big_Rudy

I've had my Zenfone 4 ALL OVER THE WORLD and none of these shenanigans were necessary-  pop the prepaid SIM in, and off you go:  data, text, calling, whatever.  

I've been with PM for 2 months and still can't get friggin SMS to work, and now my data has quit and there's nothing i can do with the APN settings.  Friggin joke. 

ztra

SOLVED: Unihertz has fixed the problem with the Atom not being abled to Add/Edit the APN settings.  I have already applied the patch, made an adjustment, and rebooted the phone and now I can edit the APN settings on my Android 8.1 Atom phone.

Unihertz will be creating a OTA update in the next week or two so that everyone will be able to update their APN on their Atoms. 

This fix only applies to the Unihertz Atom phone. 

ztra

I probably have a PC Mobile and Koodo SIM card at home. I will see if they will work.

ztra

I did get a few replies from UniHertz (the company that makes the Atom) and I sent them a few screen shots and they said that they are looking into this sitaution.  If I hear anything back I will post it here.

ztra

So, if I ordered a Freedom Mobile SIM card that should work for the data on my new Atom phone?  Since, Freedom Mobile doesn't offer service in the Maritimes I wonder if they will still send it. 

Or would someone mail me a Freedom Mobile SIM and I can send it back to you? Just a thought.

gachi

@orbsidia

I didn't know Rogers locked their APN settings too... that's too bad.  Didn't even know it was a thing until I got my Atom phone.

It's great that the Freedom sim worked for you too though!  lol

orbsidia

This worked perfectly!  I found my old disabled Freedom Mobile LARGE sim card lol and cut it up with some scissors to fit.

It worked exactly like you said.  I restarted it with no SIMs, put in Freedom Mobile first which let me add APN settings, then I inserted my Public Mobile which auto detected the APN Settings I created for Public Mobile.

ztra

Did you upgrade to 8.1? Because you may of had the settings from 8.0 and they were carried forward. Can you edit the APN now? Are the values greyed out?

My LG q7 is running 8.1.0, and the APN does have an option to add the APN in the 3 dot menu and is currently showing a Mobile Internet and Tethered Mobile Internet APN listings (both locked)  I only had the Mobile Internet APN originally.

ztra

That is the problem, when you go into the APN screen to edit/add the APNs all that you can see are:

• TELUS SP (sp.telus.com)
  • TELUS Services (services.telus.com)
  • IMS (ims) [This one is not able to be activated as there is no selection radio button)

There is no "+" sign to add a new APN and under the menu the only option is "Reset to Default".

I used ADB (Android Developer Bridge) to try to add a APN through the back end way, and that method will get you a new/blank APN screen however, Oreo 8.1 blocks that from being edited, so it is all greyed out. Android 8.0 does not have this problem.  My old phone still runs 8.0 and this is not an issue.

From what I have read Verizon requested this feature from Google so, that can prevent people from accessing data from a different way than the way their account is setup (i.e. tethering).  It appears that this was added to all service providers (SP) be default unless SP ask for it to be turned off for their networks.  Which I'm guessing Public Mobile/Telus did not request this.

That is all that I know so far.  Still reading other forums for more details.  Can Public Mobile add to the SIM cards the correct APN so that we don't have to edit these everytime that we get a new phone?

Use the add APN function, and enter the information in the fields that are different in the suggested APN settings, compared to the locked APN.

ztra

I will send my details to a moderator as well.

If i need to go the Freedom Mobile SIM card "possible" fix, does the SIM card need to be activated.  As I live in the Maritime provinces Freedom mobile does not exist around here so , I couldn't borrow a SIM card.  But, I could order one for $10 and use that.

orbsidia

I've sent PM Moderators my info yesterday, so hopefully they get back to me/us by today or something haha...

Not looking forward to having to wait 2 weeks or more like the people who had similar problems on their Essential phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.