cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative options to WiFi calls?

sclan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know of alternatives to wifi calls? I know PM doesn't offer this option but wondering if there are any recommended apps or something that would allow this? I'm in Canada as well in case that matters.

TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sclan wrote:

Does anyone know of alternatives to wifi calls? I know PM doesn't offer this option but wondering if there are any recommended apps or something that would allow this? I'm in Canada as well in case that matters.

TIA!

i used to do voipms together with groundwire app. it works OK, able to send / receive calls and text provided there is good wifi / data coverage. i like it better than using TextNow and other free apps as they are riddled with ads. with voipms i only pay 1$ per month to maintain the number and about 0.01 cents per min for calls. sending texts are free.

lately google voice is now available in canada. i was able to install the google voice app from the playstore without manually sideloading the apk. my playstore account is linked to a US google voice and i was able to use it right away. i can send / receive calls and text and MMS. all free, although it shows up my US number not my local canadian number. i have the option to mask the number and it shows as Private Number when i call someone.

@sclan wrote:

TIA!

Apps would not allow you to seemlessly receive calls using the same phone number which I see as the main advantage of Wi-Fi calling over VoIP and internet calling apps. While many of these apps can spoof your outgoing call display information, incoming calls to your regular phone number won't get automatically directed to the app. Some of these apps do allow incoming calls, but you'd have to use a different phone number to receive the phone calls or set up call forwarding.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sclan If your using an Android device consider installing Hangouts Dialer. Once you verify you number with Google you will be able to make outgoing calls from your device and they other party will see your PM number. Calls to anywhere in North America are free and call quality is exceptional.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If you want people to dial you back to your cell and to have free calling while in North America, hangouts dialer is your best option.(note people cannot call you back unless you buy did service, this is not big deal for pm as all new plans have unlimited incoming)

If you would like to use it abroad, I would recommend both fongo and TextNow, both will give you free allternative Canadian phone number, each has pluses and minuses.

Fongo will allow you to call most of Canadian numbers, you can receive sms bit outgoing cost. Big plus is free forwarding so when you are back to Canada and not using WiFi/data you will receive your calls and also they will email you voicemail file if you select that option.

TextNow will give free calling and texting to both USA and Canada, forwarding is premium service and you have to maintain your number much more than fongo (it's not that bad though, you must make a call once in 30 days, they will send you a message warning you)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sclan 

Hangouts dialer call is closest to wifi calling.  IIRC, it uses your provider phone number to call out so that your friend will see your number on the caller ID.  Hangouts call uses wifi or data and it is not the same as carrier wifi calling.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@sclan 

There are a few apps that I use that you can make wifii calls Ill list them here for you.

Lineapp:https://line.me/en/

whatsapp:https://www.whatsapp.com/

hangouts:https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_ca/products/meet

Facebook messanger: (only your friends list)

telegram: https://www.appurse.com/telegram.html

there is also Viber.....

have an amazing week!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@sclan  voip apps such as Google hangouts and Google dialer combined, TextNow etc accomplish this.  Add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can use apps like Textnow, Fongo, and Skype.

Need Help? Let's chat.