cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All phones can now be unlocked for free.

rommi_73
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Starting December 1st, 2017 all the providers must

• sell phones already unlocked.
  • All current phones must be unlocked free of charge upon request.

If you planing on leaving your provider, just call in and ask to unlock your phone

Smiley Wink

7 REPLIES 7

PM's policy so far only Telus/Koodo phones:  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you look at the CRTC rules, the carrier must unlock the phone if requested to do so by the "customer". Without an account, the person would not be considered a "customer" from Bell's point of view?

Rogers is bad too because they would only unlock the phone for the original purchaser of the device when my brother called in to have them unlock an iPhone. In the end, I paid $5 on ebay and got it unlocked in a few hours.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

FYI.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-crtc-free-phone-unlocking-1.4446825

As per @will13am's post, Bell doesn't unlock Bell locked phones unless you are a Bell customer. The exception, only if you make it a PR nightmare for Bell will they unlock it for you.

Maybe the actions of that one person will make Bell change their policies.

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you phone your provider and request to have your phone unlocked, they'll send you completion instructions within 4 hours.

choco
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
How long does it usually take to for moderators to respond to unlock request?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There are a few caveats.  Bhell will not unlock a phone they sold in the past unless you are a current customer.  Corporate accounts still have locked phones and no free lunch either.  But then again these accounts get much cheaper monthly rates.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup, this is great news for consumers.  No more annoying unlocking fees!

Need Help? Let's chat.