cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All calls showing "Private number" every time

zenanarchy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I first noticed this when my parents called. Their number would show up as "private number" even though it is NOT unlisted. Now every incoming number shows as private. I don't know what to do, and it's seriously annoying because I'd like to know who's calling before I answer.

18 REPLIES 18

@Chaz99 

What is the make and model of your phone?

Edit:

1. Open your phone app.
  2. Tap on the 3 dots top right.
  3. Choose Settings.
  4. Tap on Calls.
  5. Choose Additional settings.
  6. Tap on Caller ID.
  7. Choose your preferred setting.

These settings may vary depending on your device.

Chaz99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi how do you fix it my phone doing same 

Chaz99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi my phone is doing the same ever number is comeing up private did you fix your and how did you do it if u did it thanks 

@JohnnyXI wrote:

Many of the responders seem to have it backwards. It's the writer's phone number that is showing as private number on outgoing calls on other peoples phones.

Nope. The way I read first post, every INCOMING call is shown as 'Private' - no call display.

I would suggest experimenting with different phones, SIM switching and similar approach.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Jeepers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JohnnyXI : This is a year old thread that the OP seems to have resolved. I think the interpretation is correct.

@barrascuk : I don't think this thread needs any more attention. But whatever...

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can you put the SIM in another phone and see if the incoming calls still show as Private??

That might isolate the issue to phone or not. 

JohnnyXI
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Many of the responders seem to have it backwards. It's the writer's phone number that is showing as private number on outgoing calls on other peoples phones.

JohnnyXI
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

zenanarchy

So I feel stupid about the solution to this issue, but figured if anyone else has this problem it could help them if I posted it. I don't do my Play Store updates too much, especially for things I don't use... and I hadn't updated "Carrier Services". I updated that today, and then calls started showing up with the caller ID properly.

@zenanarchy   Yes that doesn't sound like just callers with privacy settings.  Best to contact moderators as suggested by @gblackma.  

While you're waiting for a response from moderators you could try powering off your phone and removing the SIM, wait 5 mins and re-insert your SIM and restart the phone.

@zenanarchy then try asking the moderators to reset your SIM.  Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

zenanarchy

This is not because my contacts have set their numbers to private. This happens with friends and family and even the doctor's office.

I checked my Android settings and the "Phone" behavour is set to "Make sound and pop up on screen". However, "On lock screen" there are only two options: "Hide sensitive content" and "don't show notifications at all" - but I don't think this is the issue because the numbers don't show up in my call history... call history only shows "Private number" for these numbers.

It feels like a system issue and not a phone issue to me.

@zenanarchy  Normally a number showing up private is because the owner of that number has set their number not to be displayed from their account.  I know that from personal experience because even if a number is saved in your contacts list with a name attached, it still appears as a private number for incoming call if that number has privacy controls attached to it.

However, in your case it seems like it maybe something more if it's happening to more than just one or two numbers.  You could perhaps also ask your affected contacts if they have changed their privacy settings or not.

@zenanarchy  try using this article to fix the problem. It seems that it's a problem with some Android phones, including yours https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/solved-screen-not-turning-on-with-incoming-calls/

zenanarchy

Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 (ASUS_X01BDA). And yes, calls from people on my contact list show up as "Private number". I just had a call from a friend today who is on my contact list, and his number didn't show. If my wife calls from her phone, it shows her number - but she's on Public Mobile as well.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy what's the make and model of your phone?  And are these calls from people on your contact list? Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.