cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All calls disconnect after <1 minute

electro65
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I started having this problem shortly after I purchased the "Canada-wide Talk Booster 500" on Sept 23, 2019. Now every call starts with 3 beeps and disconnects in 50-55 seconds. I have rebooted the phone and reseated the SIM. FWIW, although the addon appears in the payment history, I can see no sign of it anywhere else. Also, I still seem to have 52 minutes left out of my base 100 minutes, although I should have used them all up. Any suggestions appreciated

22 REPLIES 22

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah? But it's not like the ticket numbers any good to anyone else. All support is through private message and no one's going to fool a mod into giving out info on that ticket number.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lukevader wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Firstly, you should be providing this information to @electro65 via private message, not via reply here.

Umm, I say no on this. It's actually nice to see mods helping on the board like this. We can actually see things getting done around here. Keep up the good work mods. 

@lukevader sure, if they want to reply with a general "hey everyone, we're working on this", that's one thing.  But they shouldn't be responding with ticket numbers in public.  They're violating their own community guidelines about not posting private information publicly. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

electro65

Hey @srlawren,

After I read the estimate of 1-3 weeks for someone to even *look* at the problem I got started on choosing another mobile provider, but before I committed I check in here to see if there had been any progress. I discovered some reassuring messages from the support team and noticed that they had not only made corrections to the info on my Overview page, but had provided me with some additional bonus services. I then initiated a 3-minute call with my phone that seemed fine. Yesterday I initiated a 67 minute call that went smoothly, and believe that my service is now functioning properly. This means that instead of 1-3 week turnaround on repairs, it was actually a few hours. I consider this acceptable.

There is still one puzzling issue. It appears that Public is not accounting for all of the time that I use my phone: that 67 minute call today shows up as a 7 minute one in the usage details. I thought I had notice something like that just before the troubles started, but was so distracted by the early-termination problem that I did not pursue it. It may be coincidence, but in each case, it appeared as though the minutes were counted modulo-60. If true, it would be good to alert the technical team to this, as I would like to see Public getting their fair revenues.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

Firstly, you should be providing this information to @electro65 via private message, not via reply here.

Umm, I say no on this. It's actually nice to see mods helping on the board like this. We can actually see things getting done around here. Keep up the good work mods. 

electro65
@srlawren I wrote you a long and detailed response, but the system puked on it with an "Authentication failed" message and the response was lost. I don't feel like recomposing it right now. Maybe I will when my irritation subsides...

srlawren

Hey @electro65 quick follow-up, is everything okay now?  Did you decide to stick with Public Mobile or to move on?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

electro65

I would really like to like PM, but...

So, how about this strategy for getting around the long wait: let's say that I am willing to walk away from any add-ons and residual time that I have, and purchase a new SIM with a new phone number assigned. Once that is working ok, I then transfer my original number to the new SIM. Does anyone have an opinion about whether this is likely to work, or is it probable that the PM system will just get further confused? 

The technical team got on the case and seem to have resolved the problems. Bravo to them!

electro65

I have to say that I am surprised by the expected 1-3 week turnaround. When I considered trying Public Mobile, my biggest concern was that there was no real time direct support; this does indeed turn out to be a deal-breaker. Perhaps most users do not encounter problems, but really, even a small percentage of users being unable to make normal calls or encounter similar usage problems for weeks is quite unacceptable. 

srlawren

Hi @Cornel_I ,

Two things:  Firstly, you should be providing this information to @electro65 via private message, not via reply here.  Secondly, 1-3 weeks???  wow that's an awful turnaround timeframe.

Cornel_I
Customer Support Agent

Hello electro65,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your service.

Thanks also for your account verification with submitting your ticket.

With having looked at the service for your -8957 number, no service errors do appear, but due to how the add-on was presenting itself on your account, an internal ticket - IN0000014297153, has been submitted to our technical team responsible, with the details you've described for the service acting up, trough your posts on the community.

We do appreciate your patience and getting in touch and i do hope to see the ticket resolved quickly so that this apparent add-on issue will be resolved quite possibly not just for you but across the board, if required.

The turnaround time for this type ticket to be worked on is typically 1-3 weeks.

Have a nice day ahead!

Cornel 
Public Mobile Moderators team 

electro65

The phone is a fairly new Samsung, has been rebooted and had the SIM reseated, the battery shows > 60% in every case, I see the issue independent of signal level, and the problem happens on all  local and roaming outgoing calls (have not tested incoming). The fact that many other people have complained of the "3-beep/early termination" syndrome pretty much convinces me that that this is not local to my device, but is probably related to PM's add-on handlers.

Update: incoming calls seem not to be affected

Maybe these three beeps are network-generated. All the service-based troubleshooting stuff people have mentioned above. They're probably on the right track, but I'm a hardware guy so I tend to look at other faults first, lol. 

Or maybe your three beeps are being generated by your phone.

It might be indicating signal dropout/handover at the threshold of your local tower's service area. It might be indicating low battery. It might be indicating some software mechanism which restricts long-distance or roaming charges.

Try to take note of your signal bars and battery charge each time you hear the beeps. Maybe check your Settings (then restart, if you change anything) to confirm the problem isn't your phone itself. 

electro65

Tricky getting past the obstructionist AI to open a ticket. I finally managed by using the option that I could not make calls at all. I really appreciate your help on this - I would mark it solved by you as long as that won't somehow close the ticket. Thanks much

popping

@electro65 wrote:

I realise that I have fallen into the duplicate addon rabbit hole. I tried to purchased the 500 minute addon back in July as well as some extra data, but they never appeared on the Overview page. My card was charged and the amount added to my balance, but this items were never actually debitted. Thinking that the transaction simply got lost somehow, I purchased the extra minutes last week when I had some long calls to make. Still, the addon does not show up on the Overview page. Sorry, not quite sure how to capture and paste the info from that page...

Create a moderator support ticket by using the ? botton at the bottom right hand corner to get it fixed.  You may also ask for the credit of one of your $ 500 minutes add-on.

electro65

I apologise for not answering your question: yes, the payment history does show the $5, as I mentioned in my original post.

electro65

I realise that I have fallen into the duplicate addon rabbit hole. I tried to purchased the 500 minute addon back in July as well as some extra data, but they never appeared on the Overview page. My card was charged and the amount added to my balance, but this items were never actually debitted. Thinking that the transaction simply got lost somehow, I purchased the extra minutes last week when I had some long calls to make. Still, the addon does not show up on the Overview page. Sorry, not quite sure how to capture and paste the info from that page...

popping

@electro65 

@electro65 

I have the $15 plan too. 

Do you see the 500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance usage line on your overview page after login?  If you do not have the 500 min add-on line, your may have used all the 500 add-on minutes.  Please post a screenshot of your overview page masked out your personal info. foe us to find out why.

Check you payment history for the payment for the $5 500 min add-on.

The following is what I have on my account.  I used 13 minutes out of my my 100 min allotment.  I have not touch the add-on minutes.
  • Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk
    13  /  100 MIN
    1GB Promo
    0  /  1024 MB
    250 MB at 3G speed
    10.598  /  250 MB
    500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance
    0  /  500 MIN

electro65

I do indeed have the $15/100 minutes plan. I had to initiate some long calls, so I purchased the 500 minute Talk Booster. The system does not appear to remember the add on, and has only logged about 5 minutes aginst the base 100 minutes, instead of the maybe 200 I did. Things went south at some point after that. 

popping

@electro65 

Do you have the $15 100 minutes + unlimited incoming minutes plan?

If yes, the 100 minutes allotment is only used when you call out.  All income calls will not use your 100 outing minutes allotment.

Create a moderator support ticket to fix your 3 beeps hangup issue by using the ? button at the bottom right hand corner of this page.  Modearator wait time is up to 2 days.

Update: The 3 beeps and hangup is due to having two of the same add-on.  You need moderator to remove your old expired add-on.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

When the system is trying to "count" the 2nd minute, it's probably having an issue doing so.

Search "3 beeps" in the search option above an you'll see what others have experienced.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@electro65 hi Click the ? on lower right side of the page to generate a ticket to talk with the moderators 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Other threads seem to blame the 3 beeps on add-ons, roaming add-ons and multiple add-ons. All threads point to moderator help to solve the issue.

Creating a support ticket:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

SIMON

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:

Create a support ticket

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern within 48 hours. May take longer, but the promise of the new Ticketing System was that it will reduce these wait times.
About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

Need Help? Let's chat.