cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcatel Linkzone won't share connection

Kyle2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got an unlocked T-Mobile Alcatel Linkzone hotspot for use with my public mobile service. It's got the specs to be compatible, and I see the carrier name says Public Mobile, and I get good service bars (3-4) at 4G LTE.

I can even an SMS from it, I confirmed that, but when I try to connect to it via a wifi device the internet doesn't work! Everything on the devices side says uplink is good and no problems, but I've tried multiple devices to connect and none work. The only thing weird is the APN says NULL and when I add Public Mobile and put all the info and click apply, it says success but the thing still says NULL

8 REPLIES 8

Kyle2

I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION

Please for anyone with a similar issue I found the problem. The APN profile name CANNOT contain a space. In addition I also DISCONNECTED it before I changed the APN.

I'm too afraid of losing my connection again so I cannot confirm which of these two was the solution; not having a space in profile name, or disconnecting the device first. Either way it is now online and I have a connection! Thank you all for the suggestions!

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Kyle2check settings

T-Mobile BLOCKS using your device as a Wifi hotspot unless you pay them extra

If possible erase T-Mo software and load generic or Telus software

@RobertQc wrote:

@Kyle2 wrote:

It is Public Mobile. I did a tracert to google dns (8.8.8.8) on my laptop while on the alcatel linkzone hotpsot connect, and it went past the router....right into a telus network then nothing, they cut me out

So I don't know what else to say, it's not my device, or maybe they aren't accepting my device/authorizing it? I need help. Here is the tracert:

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    48 ms     4 ms     5 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    51 ms    95 ms    87 ms  75.153.170.228
  3    96 ms    30 ms    81 ms  10.183.219.84
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.

@Kyle2 You do have a data plan and its active? When you put the sim into a regular phone can you can access data with no issues? If they are rejecting you, funny if it had something to do with the time zone bug.

You did say your self the APN comes up blank meaning there could be some local issue which still makes me think to try the troubleshooting reset / firmware update directly on the device however if what you are saying is true and you are 100% sure not needing to do any trouble shooting then I am not sure how anyone here could help you since its passed your device I suggest contacting the @CS_Agent for technical support

Click here to message the moderator team

I would suggest not bothering the moderators for something like this.  Their mandate is primarily to get the service up and running, not to chase down hardware issues for customer which can get really tricky.  Remember, Public Mobile does not sell hardware.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

My essential phone has been neutered in that the APN addition function has been blocked since android O.  Looking online why, there was discussions that one of the reasons is that carriers like T-Mobile needs this to control tethering.  The APN type field needs to have dun added and without APN editing/adding, it can't be done.  I wonder if the problem is that the lack of APN adding capability is hampering the tethering here.  Just a thought.

@Kyle2 wrote:

It is Public Mobile. I did a tracert to google dns (8.8.8.8) on my laptop while on the alcatel linkzone hotpsot connect, and it went past the router....right into a telus network then nothing, they cut me out

So I don't know what else to say, it's not my device, or maybe they aren't accepting my device/authorizing it? I need help. Here is the tracert:

@Kyle2 You do have a data plan and its active? When you put the sim into a regular phone can you can access data with no issues? If they are rejecting you, funny if it had something to do with the time zone bug.

You did say your self the APN comes up blank meaning there could be some local issue which still makes me think to try the troubleshooting reset / firmware update directly on the device however if what you are saying is true and you are 100% sure not needing to do any trouble shooting then I am not sure how anyone here could help you since its passed your device I suggest contacting the @CS_Agent for technical support

Click here to message the moderator team

Kyle2

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Kyle2

Also as a 3rd possible fix if the other 2 don't work, make sure you have the newest firmware

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-32615

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Kyle2 wrote:

I got an unlocked T-Mobile Alcatel Linkzone hotspot for use with my public mobile service. It's got the specs to be compatible, and I see the carrier name says Public Mobile, and I get good service bars (3-4) at 4G LTE.

I can even an SMS from it, I confirmed that, but when I try to connect to it via a wifi device the internet doesn't work! Everything on the devices side says uplink is good and no problems, but I've tried multiple devices to connect and none work. The only thing weird is the APN says NULL and when I add Public Mobile and put all the info and click apply, it says success but the thing still says NULL

@Kyle2

This may seem silly, but I have heard of a weird problem that has effected many users on the linkzone.... Go into settings and change the Date/Time to 24 hour format... this has actually helped quite a few people, there are even youtube videos about the 24 hour bug.

After that, have you tried doing a hard reset to factory mode and reconfiguring on the Linkzone?

Worth a shot to try if you have not, log into the Linkzone go to device settings, then settings and go to Factory Reset Settings then click the RESET button (not restart).

You can also do a master rest externally

"

• Hold down the Power and WPS keys simultaneously for 13 seconds.
  • Wait for all LED indicators to flash blue 4 times. This indicates the device has been reset to factory mode

"

Need Help? Let's chat.