cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated but no internet and phone doesn’t recognize the SIM card

lavelalala
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated my SIM card but there is no internet, cannot call, and it says 「No service」on the screen at the top left.

seems like my phone doesn’t recognize the SIM card so I turned it off and took my SIM card out and put it back. A couple of times.

Every time when I turned on my phone, it seems okay because there is a sign saying 「Public mobile」at the left corner of screen but just after 1 min, it says「No service 」again.

Roaming on, I don’t know what to do anymore. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

14 REPLIES 14

johnpaul
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lavelalala 

Some more questions for you:

1. Are you absolutely sure your phone is unlocked (not locked to a specific network) ? Have you used this phone with Telus or Koodoo or Public Mobile sims cards before and works fine?

2. Does you account status in self serve say ACTIVE?

3. No signal even in downtown? 

4. Iphone settings > cellular > network selection > automatic

If yes, then you have a provisioning issue. Its an issue with Public Mobile's system. Only moderators can help. Defective SIM cards are very rare unless you physically damaged it.

lavelalala

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried things that you mentioned but still says 「No Service」

It happened all the time even if when I was in downtown so probably my SIM is something wrong..?

@lavelalalaIt sounds like a provisioning issue. I suggest you contact the moderators via the SIMon chat bot for them to look into it.

lavelalala

Thank you for your response.
My phone is iPhone 7 and I tried to put the SIM card to my previous phone which is iPhone 5s but same situation happened.
SIM didn’t work another phone.. seems like the problem is SIM card.. or location?

lavelalala

My phone is iPhone 7 and I tried to put the SIM card to my previous phone which is iPhone 5s but same situation happened.
SIM didn’t work another phone.. 

Account says “Activation successful”

my old SIM card works 

got a welcome email and text with a PIN number (no idea what I can do with this PIN though)

I got my SIM from London Drug and they activated it for me and I picked new number 

nothing wrong with my payment it’s gone through 

johnpaul
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lavelalala you might be in a "deadspot". A place where there is very weak or no cellular signal. Very typical in basements of houses and buildings. The fact that Public mobile appears at the start means that your SIM is probably fine. I assume your phone is not locked to a different network or not blacklisted.

1. Can you go outdoors and see if you get a signal? 
  2. If not getting a signal Go to Settings > Cellular >  Network Selection > Switch off automatic and it will begin a search

Let us know what you find.

lavelalala

Thank you for your reply.

I am very sorry to hear that I can do nothing with that problem.. you are true l am probably in the blind spot. Or my SIM card is something wrong. 

lavelalala

SIM didn’t work another phone.. seems like the problem is SIM card.. should I ask SIMon to switch my SIM card?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You sound like you are in the same situation as me when I am at home. You may be in a blindspot/deadzone for the tower nearest to your location. I wonder if you were to go to another part of town where another tower is serving if you will regain service.

My phone basically does the same thing. If I reboot, it will say PM for about a minute, then No Service (Emergency Calls only). If I drive to the store or work, I regain service but once I am back home, it loses it again. It's been a little better lately, but still months later is still a major issue for me. It doesn't matter what phone I use, nor if I use a booster. The mod that was helping me eventually just gave up and told me I should join Koodo for VoLTE because there is nothing that can be done. I have the exact same problem on Lucky, so it isn't really a Telus issue, it's the tower itself that has to be the problem.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@lavelalala , what model of phone are you using?  Seems like the problem may be the phone.  If you are getting the Public Mobile connection momentarily and then losing it, that doesn't suggest any account problems.  I would concentrate the effort on the phone first.  It doesn't hurt to check the self serve account to make sure nothing appears out of place.  

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@lavelalalaCan you swap the SIM into another phone just to narrow down whether it is a hardware problem or a Public Moble problem?

If the SIM doesn't work in another phone, it is probably a provisioning problem and only moderators can fix that. Contact them via SIMon https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Chat with SIMon until you feel he get the gist of your problem and type in submit ticket after that. Be aware it might take the moderators more than 48 hours to get back to you.

Roaming on and off should not affect your Public Mobile's SIM performance as long as you are physically located in Canada.

@lavelalala what kind of phone?  The roaming should be turn off

@darlicious wrote:

So everything seemed to work smoothly...what does your account say? Who did you port from? Does your old SIM work? Have you gotten a welcome text or email..?.with a pin?

Did you pick a new number? Payment gone thru?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

So everything seemed to work smoothly...what does your account say? Who did you port from? Does your old SIM work? Have you gotten a welcome text or email..?.with a pin?

Need Help? Let's chat.