cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Liquid Zest Plus

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

No issuewith the phone yet as it is still charging.  Never owned an Android or even used one, so asking all of you for advice.  What are things I need or should put on it.  It is running Marshmallow I think not sure how to find out.  So all of you Android users looking for some help or a good place to go and find out more about  the Android system.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

19 REPLIES 19

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13.... I still have my Windows Phone kickin, and if I have it my way I won't go back to anything else. With that said, Windows Phone is suffering from a slow death and the apps that I need to keep in touch with others are slowing being dropped off. I don't think that it will be long before WhatsApp goes and that will be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I do have an Android phone that I swap to every once in a while, so I do have a few suggestions for you:

1) Grab a better weather app...I have two but I'm prefer Weather Live for now.

2) Grab a data monitor of some sort

3) Purchase Smart WIFI Toggler - this is a great app as it turns WIFI on and off based on your location. On Android this really helps with battery life. So, I go home, WIFI turns on and stays on as long as the screen is active, or when the phone is plugged in - same @ work or at my parents. As soon as I leave either place WIFI shuts off unless I manually turn it back on to connect to a new network... and that network will work just like my home once connected.

4) Nova Prime launcher

5) A memory cleaner if the phone does not already have one

Rest would be of personal preference.... I do recommend Google News and Weather in case it's not already there...

Cheers!

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am, will do what i can as i won't be using this phone but will mess around with it. Like I sais it is for my wife so I have to learn to be able to assist her with her questions

Well, if you are tech support, then I am sure you will be an expert on this phone in no time.  I wonder if this phone is heavily skinned or fairly close to stock android.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Re: Acer Liquid Zest Plus

@will13am

If by walled garden, you mean the Apple ecosystem, I thought (if memory serves) @ShawnC13 has been using a Windows phone?

Admittedly, I really don't know if the Windows phone version of the OS is more of a walled garden than MS's desktop environment, having only used the latter myself.  *shrug*

Windows was more of an empty field than a walled garden...Smiley Wink

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is this the 5.5" screen one? If so my daughter has one (bought unlocked from Staples) and she loves it. 🙂

All I've done with it is install the "My Data Manager" app so she can track her data usage.

@Luddite, you trying to get me killed LOL  that is a great one though!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@ShawnC13 maybe she would like a phone with a shorter learning curve: http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/phones/doro-phoneeasy-626/ Robot LOL

@Luddite

LOL.  Hope she doesn't need to do any texting with that, as she'd need the patience of Job.

I tried to text with a flip phone once...never again!  Robot Mad

@ShawnC13 maybe she would like a phone with a shorter learning curve: http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/phones/doro-phoneeasy-626/ Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

SD08

@will13am wrote:

Acer has been good to me for laptops.  Their phone name takes a lot of getting used to.  First impression is it's a new line of personal hygiene products.

With a name like Liquid Zest, is it at least IP68 waterproof?  Smiley Tongue

@will13am, will do what i can as i won't be using this phone but will mess around with it. Like I sais it is for my wife so I have to learn to be able to assist her with her questions

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ShawnC13, a hardware review when you have some data gathered would be muchly appreciated.  I am always looking to try different brands that offer good value.  Acer has been good to me for laptops.  Their phone name takes a lot of getting used to.  First impression is it's a new line of personal hygiene products.

Thanks for the posts all.  The phone is for my wife, so if she has it I need to know all I can because she doesn't get techy . @SD08, you are correct I am still WP (how  much longer who knows)  I was iSheep I mean iPhone before that (kidding)  So it will be a bit of a learning curv and the more I know will make the transition for her easier and that is what it is all about.  She brought up getting Android actually she was just talking about what phone she would like not sure if she knows about all the operating systems. I will be probably asking questions through private messages  rather than long posts.

@will13am, thanks for your suggestions and tips I may be in touch to learn more.  With WP the start screen(home screen) is very customizable to tile size and location so not sure if this will be as personalized as that.  iw ill be getting the data witness for sure.

@Audit13, thanks I am not worried about it working on the PM network, but it is always great to see new people out helping keep up the great work.

I will find out what she needs get it all loaded up and then switch her over when I have a device that has what she wan'ts on it.

One more tip I think you should know, apps update quite often. So, if you use a lot of apps, make sure to disable AutoUpdate if you want to manually update them or set to wifi only if you want them to update automatically. This settings can be found in playstore settings. 

The reason I am mentioning this is that, i had issues with a few apps after updating them. It sometimes behave differently specially if you have an old phone running old Android OS. 

mimmo

hey @ShawnC13 welcome to android.

My favorite apps are:

novalauncher

quickpic for photos ( not sure how needed it is now but I got used to it)

My data manager

Photo and picture resizer (useful when you don't want to email 8mb pictures)

Stocard ( carries all your loyalty cards)

And of course the McDonald's app to get my weekly Mcdeals lol

My must have app for every ecosystem is Overdrive reader that allows borrowing ebooks from libraries.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm sure you'll enjoy PM's service and coverage.

If you run into a problem that has not been addressed in any of the Community posts, send a PM to the Mod Team. They are usually very prompt in their replies.

I have used Android phones since my days with Rogers and recently switched to the iPhone. It wasn't too much of a change for me since I also use Windows laptops and Macbooks.

Essential apps for me are Gboard (Google keyboard), Type Mail (email client), and I mustn't forget the Starbucks app 🙂

@SD08 wrote:

@will13am

If by walled garden, you mean the Apple ecosystem, I thought (if memory serves) @ShawnC13 has been using a Windows phone?

Admittedly, I really don't know if the Windows phone version of the OS is more of a walled garden than MS's desktop environment, having only used the latter myself.  *shrug*

My bad, I naturally thought of iOS.  

SD08

@will13am

If by walled garden, you mean the Apple ecosystem, I thought (if memory serves) @ShawnC13 has been using a Windows phone?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ShawnC13, welcome to the android ecosystem.  The first thing you will notice different than the walled garden is the amount of freedom to customize.  Over time, you will figure out all the benefits of this freedom as no one size fits all.  For starters, I suggest trying out Nova launcher.  It is arguably the best out there.  The launcher allows you to customize the desktop and so drawer.  To track data usage, install data witness.  This is just the start, so much other stuff you can do.  Maybe you can start with questions on what you would like to customize and some of us can weigh in on suggestions of how we get it done.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Honestly, there isn't anything extra you need to know. Just get the apps you want from playstore and start using them. In android, you can manually set permissions like location, storage etc. So, its up to you if you want to allow it or not. Oh one more thing, whatever you don't like on it like home screen look or something similar, you can google it, there should be fix for for pretty much anything. 

Need Help? Let's chat.