cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings

puritycontrol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just joined PM and am trying to change my APN settings on an iPhone 6+

I changed the settings as per http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019 but the following fields keep automatically re-populating after I delete them (I ported from Fido, if that is relevant):

Visual Voicemail APN: sp.koodo.com

MMS APN: sp.koodo.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18:80

Personal Hotspot: sp.koodo.com

Am I doing somethign wrong here?  One thing to note is that data IS working.  For the first 10 min it would only connect via 3G but it literlly just went to LTE 10 seconds ago.  Which means I won't have to ask my second quesiton of why I was only on 3G!

So I leave the above as is?

55 REPLIES 55

TheBigEasy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for including the correct APN TYPE. 

Many of these APN settings posts only say "APN TYPE - default". 

APN TYPE settings must include ",mms,supl,.." etc 

samsung galaxy 7, no mms, no data, no emojis, no group chat.

Fixed.

Icemaid

I have an lg g3.  The data and regular texts work, but won’t download picture texts.  I have data turned on, no data limit set and followed several of the app setups mentioned here, but still won’t work 😭

Figured it out, followed 1 last write up and it worked 👌

georgepacan

What does supl do anyways? And hipri?

drgonzo905

Thank you so much! this one totally worked!!!!

@makkahn28 wrote:

APN Settings:

Name: Mobile Internet

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

Forget about the tethering APN, just use this one and if tethering doesn't work, add dun to the APN type field.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BB88 You should start out with one and if that doesn't work, create another for tethering. FYI, my phone works with just one.

BB88

There are different APNs in this thread. Should I use the single one, or the one with a separate APN for tethering?

fisher
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

it works for me  ... thanks for share

crussellp

I was going to let sleeping dogs lay... but...

I still cannot receive texted images.

I can send but not receive. Swap SIM cards and Telus can send and receive.

The last person who spoke to me said he would get back to me and never did. That was 3 months ago.

I tried getting a hold of someone and they just said sorry, but have you tried updating your APN settings?

This is extreemly frustrating. Instead of texting images, they are being sent and received using other means that blow my cap when MMS should be free. No one is doing anything with my case and that just plain sucks.

Costing me more money than I am saving by going with a plain brown wrapper phone carrier.

CSPB

In addition to setting up your APN settings, be aware that if you are porting your number from another provider, it may take up to one half hour before incoming calls start to come through. You will receive a text from Public Mobile confirming that the transfer of your phone number is complete at which time all will be active, assuming you put in the correct APN settings.

@crussellp Since our community moderator Kalla is already helping you on another thread, please keep the conversation about this particular issue within that thread (so information is not scattered in other places on the community).

The PM staff is very hard working, so i have no doubt that you'll see a quick resolution if you keep working with Kalla on the other thread.

crussellp

As soon as I punch in:

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

I am no longer connected to the PublicMobile LTE network (In other words, no internet connection.)

I am trying to be able to send and receive text pics (mms) and no dice.

I have followed all the instructions I can find on this subject but no go!

I am using a Galaxy S3 With KiKat 4.4.2

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah maybe, depends on the manufacturer of the device 

@Alexo I have only one APN set up on my Nexus 4, and data, tethering, and MMS all work just fine.

Alexo

I was able to use tethering on my Nexus 5 with only the first (sp.mb.com) APN set up.  Why do I need he second one (isp.mb.com)?

Also, I found the following:

Other APN types that exist include "supl" for a feature called "Secure User Plane Location", a feature of Assisted GPS. This APN type usually doesn't need to be specified and Assisted GPS will still work correctly. Another is "dun" for dial-up networking, however this refers to an outdated method for using your phone to emulate a dial-up modem and is not the way that modern smartphones do tethering anymore.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Maybe it's a Sony issue then?  My Motorola Moto X (1st Gen/2013 edition) unlocked from the factory has automatically picked up APNs with each new SIM it's encountered (Telus originally, then T-mobile/Roam Mobility when I used RM in the US, and now PM).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

homer

My friend's sony z1 was unlocked, but he bought it outside of Canada. His phone required manual APN settings. Thus, there could be exceptions 🙂

imm1304

Yes sir!  

I think that usually when the phone is unbranded, i.e. bought directly from the manufacturer or bought factory unlocked, it automatically downloads the correct APN settings.  

It also depends on which operating system is installed.  Some of the custom rom's I used in the past always downloaded the right APN while the stock rom would require manual entry if using on a different carrier.  

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying, @imm1304! So it's not that the APN settings cannot be modified - it's just that by default the device had the right settings on so manual intervention was not needed. Got it.

That's exactly what happened on my Nexus 4 as well. I didn't need to set up any APNs manually - the profiles were filled out by the phone automatically (I'm assuming from the SIM card). So I suppose not all Android devices will need APNs to be set up manually, either.

imm1304

That's right.  @homer seems to be telling us that his Blackberry Passport did not require manually setting up the APN.   And he also shared a link for instructions to manually set up the APN for those who find that the data is not working on their device.  Which is a nice hint.. thanks Homer!  🙂

Expect the Blackberry is picking up the settings automatically; assuming data is functioning.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@homer, can you please tell me what happens when you go to Settings > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network and then click on the gear icon? Do you see any APN settings there?

homer

I've noticed that my BlackBerry device (passport) doesn't require manual APN settings for using mobile data, but my android phone (Z3c) does. Thus, if you switch to an android phone and find out the mobile data is not working, don't be panic! Refer to this post about the APN settings: 

How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

** Edited, Thanks @imm1304 **

puritycontrol

Thanks @vrance!  Greatly appreciated.

vrance

Hi @puritycontrol, please refer to the attached for the complete APN setting:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartph...

Some parameters are for different part of the data processing (e.g. just data is APN, which u have confirmed that it is working), MMS, and hotspot.  The value that you have is for Koodo, which is not correct.  However, you may not notice since you may not use that feature at all.  Leaving the values that you show will affect the visual voicemail (should change to sp.mb.com), MMS and hotspot (replace all koodo by mb) and refer to the link above.

sarah

thank you for answering.

According to the poster @makkahn28, (his second message on this thread if you want to refer to it), 

i need to set everything up that way (including dun) so that it works. It is his/her steps that i am following.

i have already done the rest, so i assume the reason it is not working is because of what i found makkhan28 saying somewhere on this board about getting mms to work.

sarah,

Dun, which stands for Dialup Networking, is for tethering. MMS is a different kettle of fish. One has nothing to do with the other.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@sarah,

DUN is not for MMS.

Internet + MMS is the APN type that you need.

sarah

When i go into APN Type i do not see an option for dun

i see

Internet + MMS

Internet

MMS

I believe this is the problem here for why i cant use MMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.