cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings on Umidigi A3Pro cannot be edited makes mobile data not working

bethm0606
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Community!
I bought a new Umidigi A3Pro through Amazon last week. Unfortunately, when I am trying to use my mobile data, it is not working. There is a default APN settings that cannot be edited.  The sim that I have inserted in Umidigi A3Pro was my existing public mobile sim being used in my LG G4.  There has been no problem in my LG G4 using the existing sim. Since I have a new unit, I transferred my sim from LG G4 to Umidigi A3Pro, sad to say mobile data is not working.
Is there someone here that has the same problem? What did you do? Please help and thank you in advance.

44 REPLIES 44

pld
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

as detailed in several posts before me, APN settings on the UMIDIGI A3 (pro) cannot be edited/removed/added. there isn't any add/remove option in the APN list and all parameters of specific APN are all greyed out and cannot be edited

@pld 

try this:  

delete the current APN profile first.  Then Add new profile and add according to this, please note case-sensitive and do not add extra spaces.  Remember to save the new APN and then reboot the phone before you try

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

pld

none of the solutions proposed here worked for me. Even a factory reset didn't resolve anything. Still facing the obligation to buy a new phone or change provider if this issue can not be resolved

@koad 

Good to know another sim works for this fix other than freedoms now that roam mobility didn't survive the pandemic.

koad

I can confirm that a cricket mobile sim from the USA would also work to enable the APN edit/add functions. (shows as an AT&T sim)

I can also say that the nova-launcher hack/fix from the posted youtube link does not work.

Running Android 9 on an Umidigi X (fall 2020)

bethm0606

Try using a different sim and add the settings for public mobile. That's what I did and it worked

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dbnfB2guBhA

@CdnPubMobComm 

This might work for you.....

Edit: You only need to borrow a freedom sim card working or not.....or for $2.99 order it. It takes about 5 business days unless you already live in the big smoke......

KenKawa

@CdnPubMobComm wrote:

For some reason ppl refuse to understand that the edit apn screen is grayed out! lol

There is no + sign to add apn. 

So many post saying, "it's easy, just edit blah blah blah." lol

Yeap hard to get a proper answer on this, just want to be able to use my hotspot on my phone, when I switch it into my old Galaxy S3 hotspot works fine on there it's just this phone, I should not have to buy a sim card from another company or have to switch my sim card into an old phone just to use my phone properly.

From what I understand it may be something they can fix remotely.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Umidigi-phones/td-p/527485/page/2

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Umidigi-X-APN-settings/td-p/472632/pa...

@CdnPubMobComm 

Weird that model doesnt normally have that issue. Theres a couple of possibilities to resolve your issue. Do you have access to a freedom or roam simcard? These can be used to add the APN. But theres no guarantee it will work on your model as this does not normally happen on the A3 Pro.

Theres also a chance you can be sent a file from a moderator that will propagate the APN into your phone. Read these threads for a better understanding on how to resolve your issue.

Edit: There doesnt appear to be a plus sign but i remember reading somewhere uf you look really close there a faint plus sign there....i think you can still tap on it to work. Ill search my brain for where i saw that info......

CdnPubMobComm

For some reason ppl refuse to understand that the edit apn screen is grayed out! lol

There is no + sign to add apn. 

So many post saying, "it's easy, just edit blah blah blah." lol

CdnPubMobComm

I've tried two apps, Shortcut MAster Lite and My APN, neither of them worked, Guess I'll have to try this method next.

Ive been w/ PM for 1 yr. Bought new cheap phone, Moto G8 Power Lite, now no data.

@Marly13 

Why not be a public mobile customer like @geopublic who solved your issue? Better coverage,  cheaper plans, rewards to reduce your bill to $0 And an amazing community!

Marly13

I had the same problem with my Umidigi A3S but I found out here that it's not the phone, it's the carrier! Fido doesn't let us change or edit APN's so I bought a Freedom Mobile sim, changed the APN to my old phone's settings and I put my Fido sim back in and everything works just fine! Thank you to geopublic for the info! Couldn't have done it without your help! Oh and thank you to Freedom Mobile, I'll be a customer next January!!! 

@fcandia wrote:

I have an Umidigi X with Android 9. I can confirm that using the ADB Shell does NOT allow you to add new APN. Running the command only brings up a new APN settings screen that cannot be modified as all settings are faded out. Luckily I had an old Freedom SIM Card that I was able to use to add APNs.

@KenKawa  Maybe try a Freedom SIM card. @fcandia  Thanks for letting us know.

fcandia

I have an Umidigi X with Android 9. I can confirm that using the ADB Shell does NOT allow you to add new APN. Running the command only brings up a new APN settings screen that cannot be modified as all settings are faded out. Luckily I had an old Freedom SIM Card that I was able to use to add APNs.

KenKawa

@geopublic wrote:

@KenKawa  What happens when you insert the PM  sim? Does it setup a Telus APN entry by any chance? If yes, just open that APN entry change sp.telus.com to sp.mb.com make sure you select the three dots and save the changes. Test does data work?

It's all greyed out and is uneditable.  I can look but not touch, the only option under the 3 dots is reset to default which does nothing.

Edit for clarification* I can switch from PM to Telus but it's still the same thing uneditable.

@KenKawa  What happens when you insert the PM  sim? Does it setup a Telus APN entry by any chance? If yes, just open that APN entry change sp.telus.com to sp.mb.com make sure you select the three dots and save the changes. Test does data work?

KenKawa

@pmuser9 wrote:

I had the same probem.  I have a Umidigi F1 (Dec 2019) .... Settings, Network, Mobile Network, Access Point names, touch the "+" to add, enter the PM APN data exactly as shown on the previous post, Now push the "3 dots" in the top right corner of the screen, and select "Save".....All good now!  

Doesn't work with Public Mobile on the A3. There is no + button.

Anyways.

Ordered a bell sim off Amazon for 90 cents and no luck apn still locked, I'll try another, trying to find us a cheaper option.

pmuser9

I had the same probem.  I have a Umidigi F1 (Dec 2019) .... Settings, Network, Mobile Network, Access Point names, touch the "+" to add, enter the PM APN data exactly as shown on the previous post, Now push the "3 dots" in the top right corner of the screen, and select "Save".....All good now!  

@peetee1974 wrote:

Ummm I have an A3 Pro on 9 and still unable to switch APN, had to use the sim trick for it to work.

@peetee1974 Must be your phone then. Did you root your phone? I was able to add the apn on my umidigi android 9 phone.

peetee1974

Ummm I have an A3 Pro on 9 and still unable to switch APN, had to use the sim trick for it to work.

@peetee1974 wrote:

No it does not. 8.1 or 9 have no edit APN settings.

@peetee1974 incorrect 9 does allow one to add APNs

peetee1974

No it does not. 8.1 or 9 have no edit APN settings.

@CrystalM85 wrote:

Its running Android 9

@CrystalM85 Ah that's why. The apn issue was directly related to Android 8.1. Android 9 allows you to add APN entries.

CrystalM85

Its running Android 9

@CrystalM85 wrote:

It was almost identical.

Differences were:

APN type: default,mms,supl
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: none

data seems to be working though

@CrystalM85 Ok, good to hear. By the way what version of Android is your phone running?

Janterry
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That’s great to hear!  I tried that too, but for some reason it didn’t work for me.  Maybe they have sorted it out.

CrystalM85

It was almost identical.

Differences were:

APN type: default,mms,supl
MVNO type: none
MVNO value: none

data seems to be working though

@CrystalM85 wrote:

i just bought the Umidigi a3 and when I put my public Mobile SIM in it gave me the option to click Telus as the APN so after I clicked that it automatically started working and change the network on its own to public mobile. I'm not sure if this is because of an update or not. I bought a roam mobility Sim in case I needed it but I did not.

@CrystalM85  You still need to check the apn settings on the phone and make sure they are using the PM settings:

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

CrystalM85

i just bought the Umidigi a3 and when I put my public Mobile SIM in it gave me the option to click Telus as the APN so after I clicked that it automatically started working and change the network on its own to public mobile. I'm not sure if this is because of an update or not. I bought a roam mobility Sim in case I needed it but I did not.

Need Help? Let's chat.