cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings for PM

troyfy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I added the APN settings for my Zenfone 4 and now everything works. I have been wondering though: why aren't these setting in the sim card? The sim has Koodo and Telus settings which did not work, why not just have the Public Mobile settings as the default? Is this just an issue with my Zenfone 4, or will everyone's phone that I set up have the same problem? It seems silly to have to have 2 APN profiles that work, and not have the one that does!

11 REPLIES 11

elodiemar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Perhaps I might help those with iPhones moving to Public Mobile from Petro-Canada Mobility. Because IOS essentially makes APN settings unavailable the work around to get mobile data working is to access a website (unlokit.co.nz) which has a "profile" generator. (Petro-Canada provides a link to that website in their support section). The "profile" is then installed to the iPhone and sets apn correctly. When switching carriers the profile must be uninstalled/removed allowing the new carrier settings to populate automatically. The profile removal is not under the cellular settings, it actually is right at the bottom of the general settings. I first ran in to this trying to use data on a French network sim on a vacation. Provided the profile is removed the Public Mobile apn settings are looked after no problem in iOS 13.3.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@troyfy wrote:

Thanks, I always just assumed the APN settings were stored in the SIM card. So the phone just recognizes what type of SIM and tries to find matching settings? 

APNs are stored in either a phone's OS (hard-coded) or some type of configuration file, which may or may not be updated over-the-air (depending on OS, vendor, etc.).

The SIM card stores the Mobile Country Code (MCC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC), as well as an operator name/code.  Older devices only use the MCC and MNC values to look up the carrier in a table (you can Google published lists of these).  Public Mobile (as well as TELUS and Koodo) SIM cards will have MCC=302, MNC=220, which translates to TELUS Mobility (and therefore set APN consistent for TELUS).  With the operator name/code, (newer) devices to further refine the configuration/APN to the operator (PM).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@troyfy wrote:

Thanks, I always just assumed the APN settings were stored in the SIM card. So the phone just recognizes what type of SIM and tries to find matching settings? 

@troyfy yeah there is enough info on the SIM card to identify the provider from which it was issued.  I forget the details but there are I think 2 or 3 values that tell the phone what network and provider it is for.  Your phone can then look those up in it's internal table, and if it has a match, it configures the APN for you, and otherwise, well, you have an ASUS.  😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

troyfy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

For the record, APN settings are NEVER on the SIM card, they are in a table in the phone's firmware.  Certain manufactuerers (e.g. ASUS) don't seem to include Public Mobile, for whatever reason.  To find out why, you would have to ask ASUS.  But yes most mainstream devices have PM APN settings built in, so when you pop in your PM SIM card, it can look them up and set up automatically without problem.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@troyfy wrote:

I plan on setting up some family members this weekend. Hopefully Huawei phones pick up the settings automatically!

I heard it’s android 8.1 issue. If it’s not android 8.1, it could be fine.

troyfy

I plan on setting up some family members this weekend. Hopefully Huawei phones pick up the settings automatically!

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Most phones pick up the settings by themselves, its only the occassional phone that needs it manually set.

ChrisSJ

Im saying some phones will not pick up the APN and its usually the one off brands, like ZTE or older phones, sorry i didnt mean to say Zenphone was old lol, but i have had a few that didnt pull the settings but %95 of the time the phone pulls the APN settings automatically, so you will not have to do this often. Good practice to check APN before the client leaves just to be safe.

troyfy

Zenfone 4 is pretty new. The best phone I have owned so far! I know they make a Zenfone 5 now but I do not think it could be considered old. So you are saying that the APN settings are on the SIM, but not recognized by some phones?

ChrisSJ

Some phones will not pick up the APN (Most of the older phones). The new ones (iPhones, Samsungs, LG etc) will pick up the APN automaticlly. This is only a 1 off i have had to do this to a few older phones so far.

Need Help? Let's chat.