cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN enable/disable greyed out

JKA000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have Public Mobile call and data plan in my pixel 4a cell phone. It cannot send/receive photos in text messages even the mobile data is turned on. In the APN setting, the APN enable/disable field is greyed out. 

Please help!

32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JKA000 : Outstanding testing! Nicely done. I think your texting app must have RCS or group messaging on. Without either one or both of those on, we can't send/receive MMS. They're not supposed to be able to go out on just wifi. ie. #5, 6

JKA000

Tried the following:

1) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data off, WIFI on) send picture text to iPhone (Public Mobile,  Mobile data off, WIFI on): FAILED.

2) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data on) send picture text to iPhone (Public Mobile,  Mobile data off, WIFI on): FAILED.

3) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data  on) send picture text to iPhone (Public Mobile,  Mobile data on): SUCCESSFUL. 

4) iPhone (Public Mobile, Mobile data off, WIFI on) send picture text to iPhone SE(Rogers, Mobile data off, WIFI on): SUCCESSFUL.

5) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data off, WIFI on) send picture text to iPhone WE (Rogers, Mobile data off, WIFI off): SUCCESSFUL. 

6) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data on) send picture text to Android phone(Rogers,  Mobile data off, WIFI on): SUCCESSFUL. 

7) Pixel 4a (Public Mobile, Mobile data off, WIFI on) send picture text to Android phone (Rogers, Mobile data off, WIFI on): NOT TESTED.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@JKA000 

How many different iPhone users are you sending MMS to that have the issue? If its just one or two the issue may not be yours at all but them. Make sure as previously suggested that they have data enabled and MMS ( along with SMS...generally speaking) toggled on. If its 10 iPhone users then its unlikely all of them have these settings off.

@gpixel 

Since it seems I gave misinformation.... the ia at the end of that APN line I've never seen it before any insight that you can give me on that? Unique to pixel?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JKA000 wrote:

For sure if the other party's carrier is Public Mobile.

@JKA000 

Is that your finding?

Another possibility might be that group messaging or RCS is on. So with those Android recipients, send a picture, turn on wifi, does it go?, if not turn off wifi and turn on mobile data, does it go? And for their end, on wifi or mobile data?

As for the iphones, they'll need mobile data on as mentioned and also the MMS slider enabled in iMessage. If you come from an iphone and now have an Android, you might also need to disconnect/log out/de-register from Apple servers.

@computergeek541 @will13am OP said it's an iPhone issue. MMS to android works

@JKA000 wrote:

I have Public Mobile call and data plan in my pixel 4a cell phone. It cannot send/receive photos in text messages even the mobile data is turned on. In the APN setting, the APN enable/disable field is greyed out. 

Please help!

I know that all the discussion about APN settings is to check everything, but the software on Pixel devices is usually very good with APN settings.  There shouldn't be any need to make any changes to this. I am leaning more towards this being an app setting or network/account issue. To see if this is an issue with your account, and to try to rule out your phone or it's software, see if you can borrow someone else's compatible phone and see if MMS works with your SIM card in it.

@JKA000 wrote:

By chance do you have a Freedom Mobile SIM card handy or be able to secure one?  It does not have to an active SIM card.  This is a long shot but on older OSs, particularly 8.1, there were APN issues that a Freedom Mobile SIM was able to resolve.  With a Freedom Mobile SIM inserted, the APN settings would come back to life and you can do all the APN manipulation functions.  

JKA000

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JKA000 : Ah! Well then. So that phone needs to have data on as well to be able to receive it.

JKA000

I have the same setting.

JKA000

Thanks for your advice. Tried but not working. 

Just found out that l can send and receive picture text with another android phone, but not with i-phones. 

@JKA000 these are my APN settings. make sure mobile internet is selected and not tethered mobile internet.  

APN settings.png

APN settings 2.png

you can try clearing the cache of the messages app to see if that helps

• long press on the messages app to open the shortcuts menu
  •  tap the info icon top right corner
  • clear your storage and cache 

you can either factory reset your phone or wait for mods

JKA000

4a

JKA000

Tried just now but still not working.

@JKA000 check and make sure you don't have any previous carriers APN settings stored on your phone. if mods can't fix it maybe a factory reset is in store for you

@darlicious the regular 4. but there have been lots of issues with the 4a and series. the OPs issue could be software related. it might be more of a Google issue. maybe someone with a pixel 4a can help out

@gpixel 

What model do you have? 5?

@JKA000 hmmm the last thing you can do is go to the playstore with mobile data enabled and update 'carrier services' by Google LLC

if it's still not working contact customer support mods

please click on the green chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen to speak with SIMon

type "no service"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "click here to submit a ticket!)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

JKA000

Just tried but not working.

JKA000

Yes, Auto-download MMS is turned on.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@JKA000 you don't need to change your APN settings...

reset your network settings

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

open your messenger settings and turn off 'chat features' and try again

@JKA000 

Try.... MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

Edit: Just the numbers...

@JKA000 

Hmmmm.....double check your work to make sure there isn't a period where a comma should be etc...

JKA000

Edited accordingly but it is still not working.

@JKA000 

"ia" is incorrect the only other addition that is sometimes included is "dun" but that is unnecssary for MMS messaging.

JKA000

My APN is the same except for the APN type which is "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,ia"

Will edit to see if it works.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JKA000 wrote:

Please help!

@JKA000 ,

Do you have MMS enabled?

@JKA000 

That shouldn't make any difference....

Screenshot_20210307-165533_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210307-165604_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210307-165619_Settings.jpg

JKA000

Yes, l can browse the internet and edit the APN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JKA000 : Can you post screenshots of all the APN settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.