cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMOLED screen burn. Solutions?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Was given a Pixel2 demo phone and has the G logo / demonstration video effects burned in the screen. Has anyone had any success with evening out screen burn on a AMOLED by inverting the colors for an extended period of time or cycling R/G/B to uniformly burn the rest of the pixels? Or any other method to make it less noticeable? I could switch out the screen pretty easy but would never be able to maintain the ip67 rating so would like to avoid that.

Does screen burn ever max out? Or does it keep going till its solid black? Wouldn't the R/G/B rotation cause the same burn in to get worse, and the parts that had no screen burn become the way the original pixels were burned? I have done quite a bit of research on this and have not been able to come up with an answer... yet.

In theory a piece of software which takes an image of your burned screen (from another very accurate external camera of course) that generates a specific image to burn only the rest of the pixels to match but I have not seen such software. With some effort I could photoshop one (all the effort will be about 441 pixels per inch), then leave on the phone at full brightness, no screen timeout and the image on full screen, I don't think I would be able to manually get it pefect but could come pretty close. Would like to hear some suggestion first if anyone has experience with this.

IMG_20190129_095132.jpgIMG_20190129_095140.jpgIMG_20190129_095145.jpgIMG_20190129_095157.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

@Carld123 wrote:

@RobertQc

Microscope??? Lol...your asking for it....😄

@Carld123

image.jpg10m3ee.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RobertQc

Microscope??? Lol...your asking for it....😄

@computergeek541 wrote:

One might think that would have to even out then.wear in all of the other pixels that aren't leaving a ghost image behind.  But, my experiences are that you can sometimes make things appear marginally better by running one of those apps or videos that cycle through red, green, and blue throughout the entire screen (as you were asking about).  This can take hours, or even days, and that Google logo may never complereky disappear, but rather just become less noticeable.

@computergeek541That's what I was thinking. I am still trying to find some more details on exactly how this works before I go the RGB route. It looks like the actual diode is organic and may be producing some residue between itself and the injection layer, which would support the idea of only wanting to use the other pixels and the RGB would actually damage it further, but blend the damage. There doesn't seem to be much research done on how the damage is caused. But this does give me the idea of replacing the screen and dismanteling the old screen, dusting off my microscope and finding out exactly what has happened.

Carld123

@RobertQc wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

At least if you are really hungry...you can eat the bread case...bit of peanut butter...good to go😀

@Carld123Since I am deadly allergic to peanuts, I will take this as a threat on my life.

@RobertQc

Gee thx uncle Robert...now ill be banned for threats..😄

One might think that would have to even out then.wear in all of the other pixels that aren't leaving a ghost image behind.  But, my experiences are that you can sometimes make things appear marginally better by running one of those apps or videos that cycle through red, green, and blue throughout the entire screen (as you were asking about).  This can take hours, or even days, and that Google logo may never complereky disappear, but rather just become less noticeable.

@Carld123 wrote:

At least if you are really hungry...you can eat the bread case...bit of peanut butter...good to go😀

@Carld123Since I am deadly allergic to peanuts, I will take this as a threat on my life.

Carld123

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no suggestions for your burn-in thing but that hot glue looking thing...jeez. My spouse has an iphone. It's kinda hard to hold. My antique BB has a nice kind of non-slip back panel.

rant> Apple...sheesh...so everyone has to run out to get some kind of grippable case for their stupid phone. I've seen finger grips and finger rings too. How about those allegedly clever designers at Apple make a product that can actually be reasonably held in the customers hands.

/rant

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, I have an out of box solution.  How about shipping the phone to me?  I would be happy to relieve you of your problem.  Sorry, I don't have any other practical suggestions.  Smiley Very Happy

@will13amI really like your suggestion, but am too excited to try AquariOS 8.1 and see if I can do anything about the screen burn, plus as it sits it is a huge upgrade for me even with the little burn in. I just ordered 6 cases and 5 screen protectors (of course different types, for less than $20) and made a temporary "custom" case. I know the case looks stupid but its very functional and takes a couple months to get the cases in the mail from china. 

IMG_20190129_100736.jpgIMG_20190129_100729.jpg

Would it help if I covered the postage? 

@Carld123 wrote:

@RobertQc

Well...lol....if that case falls apart here is another idea...make one from bread..😄

@Carld123Funny. My fashion level was at a hard 0. Strength and functionalty is only the importance for sensors, ports and the way it not only hugged the phone but was easy to remove from the case. I don't know a more practical cost saving solution till the real cases come in the mail and have done the same thing since my first smart phone over 10 years ago. With some effort they actually look decent.

bb959bc46049d7a17a9fa4b869f4ca86.jpghqdefault.jpgmaxres2default.jpgIMG_5765-1.jpgab0104669c6b66f43958df9d040d5eda.jpg5b77823b70a03111af24db573305bf5e.jpgx1080-UJ9.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Carld123

@RobertQc

Well...lol....if that case falls apart here is another idea...make one from bread..😄Screenshot_2019-01-29-11-04-29.png

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, I have an out of box solution.  How about shipping the phone to me?  I would be happy to relieve you of your problem.  Sorry, I don't have any other practical suggestions.  Smiley Very Happy

@will13amI really like your suggestion, but am too excited to try AquariOS 8.1 and see if I can do anything about the screen burn, plus as it sits it is a huge upgrade for me even with the little burn in. I just ordered 6 cases and 5 screen protectors (of course different types, for less than $20) and made a temporary "custom" case. I know the case looks stupid but its very functional and takes a couple months to get the cases in the mail from china. 

IMG_20190129_100736.jpgIMG_20190129_100729.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
An RGB video can work for that. You could also download and run OLED Tools from Google Play.

@mimmo wrote:

@RobertQc @  does google give you any suggestions? That is probably your best bet.

@mimmoYes of course, nothing outside of the rgb / inverted app for status bar/navigation buttons. They also do not go into depth regarding the actual properties of the organic material and what kind of burn in limits the display has. Maybe on page 133 but I did do quite a bit of research on it. I also question that most articles are written by people with inaccurate info, fake reviews and places that try to sell you apps / new phones with a referral link. I thought maybe I could trust someone here who vouched for a certain method if they had one / or experience with this since its my first time with this.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc @  does google give you any suggestions? That is probably your best bet.

@Alex888 wrote:

If the pixels are dead then nothing will fix them, but if they are stuck/frozen on a colour you can try running a video like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HUG7QrQi8 to try and un-stick them, run it full screen.

@Alex888Thanks for the suggestion but the pixels are not dead, nor are they stuck. There is organic material inside which discolors (burns) over time with heavy use.

You can mostly see it in white, a little in blue/green and almost not at all in red.

IMG_20190129_095132.jpgIMG_20190129_095140.jpgIMG_20190129_095145.jpgIMG_20190129_095157.jpg

@saje_ward wrote:

Whoa! I understood what each of your words meant on their own, but not all together like that.

Good luck OP, that sounds like a really neat challenge. I would have just lived with it or gotten another phone...

@saje_ward Thanks. That's exactly what this is, a neat challenge. I've fixed just about everything else on a cell phone so this is a new challenge.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

If the pixels are dead then nothing will fix them, but if they are stuck/frozen on a colour you can try running a video like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HUG7QrQi8 to try and un-stick them, run it full screen.

saje_ward
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Whoa! I understood what each of your words meant on their own, but not all together like that.

Good luck OP, that sounds like a really neat challenge. I would have just lived with it or gotten another phone...

Need Help? Let's chat.