cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G phones Vs 3G phones

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since PM is 3G, seems all new phones are overkill. Currently have a Pixel 3aXL which I'm considering upgrading.

Do new phones come in 3G?  If so what do you suggest.

69 REPLIES 69

@rossputin 

If the camera in your phone is important to you then don't buy an umidigi phone. The camera in a phone is a dealbreaker for me. I'm extremely with my December 2020 purchase from B&H of a moto g7+. Fantastic camera for the price with OIS 16mp/12mp dual lens and 4K video. 3000mAh battery, Android 10, 64GB, 4GB RAM.

US$119 all in w/taxes+custom duties+ shipping=$165 cdn ( $15 cheaper than I paid!) Regular price US$249. My only complaint is its the NA variant single sim (dual sim slot disabled) microsd+128GB

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

IMG_20210509_055124506.jpg

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

3g only phones are painful unless you will not be using data, call&text is fine.

Warning, eventually they are taking 3g network down so unless you can find next-to-free inexpensive one i would advise against getting one.

I'm strictly on 3rd hand diet so my phone suggestions won't be of much help, but i heard good things about umidigi camera and it has 2 day battery

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rossputin :Personally, if you have higher budget I always recommend iPhones and the new ones have good camera and well as easy to use operating system. If lower budget, the Hwawei phones also have good camera too.

Pawprints1986

As far as battery, you can get alot out of a little if less is running. Depending how adventurous you are, on android I like to root and then remove any "system" apps that you can't otherwise even disable but may not need. I also still like to use greenify to kill any apps I do want but don't need running all the time, like my web browser or even system things like calculator or calendar. The phone will do this but it takes days, I like to do it myself 😁

It takes good research though! Learning what app does what, or could mess up what else. But then obvious ones you don't need, like the system camera if you use a 3rd party one. Saves a ton on space too

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My pixel 3a XL has a fantastic camera. I'm quite happy with it ('cept cracked screen).

I'd like my next phone to have similar, in addition to a killer battery.

Everything else is secondary.

Suggestions?

@sunflowershine wrote:

@rossputin It really based on your budget. Sometimes PM will be in LTE. Besides, if you have wifi, 5G network phone will be much better.

A phone doesn't have to have 5g cellular network technology to have 5GHz Wi-Fi.  

sunflowershine

@rossputin It really based on your budget. Sometimes PM will be in LTE. Besides, if you have wifi, 5G network phone will be much better.

BlueB

That's an interesting observation, @rossputin!  I see what you're saying about overkill and having phones "too good" than what's needed.  However, with technology moving forward towards 5G, it doesn't make too much sense for phone companies to make a "crippled" phone to 3G when the world seems to be asking for more.

I think the part that's missing here is what @Anonymous was alluding to.  The core network (ie. Telus) will be able to serve 5G more and more as they roll it out, and 5G phones will connect to 5G too.  The difference here is that Public Mobile is their discounted-brand, so they're slowing it down to preserve the speed for their flagship brand (ie. Telus).

In other words, 5G phones will be continue to work with Public Mobile on a "5G connection" even if it's slowed down to "3G speeds."  If you ever decide to upgrade to Telus, for example, you'll be able to take advantage of unthrottled/full speed.

So, new phones do come in 3G, but also 4G and 5G (to oversimplify it).  Hope this helps a little!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : PM is 4G LTE throttled down to 3Mbps and marketed as so-called 3G. Data and text can run on that.

Actual 3G or UMTS aka WCDMA aka HSDPA is required for talk but text and data can work on it as well.

If you set your phone to LTE which usually comes along with UMTS in the phone (and maybe even GSM/2G) then the phone will sit idle on the 4G radio. Then when a call happens it will switch to the 3G radio.

Need Help? Let's chat.