cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G phones Vs 3G phones

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since PM is 3G, seems all new phones are overkill. Currently have a Pixel 3aXL which I'm considering upgrading.

Do new phones come in 3G?  If so what do you suggest.

69 REPLIES 69

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rossputin 

Yes USD prices but that should give you a good idea of the top rated phones.

rossputin

@Koombassi thanks.  Looks ike only available in 64 GB.  Looking for 128 GB.

rossputin

@Helpershelper are those US prices?

@Helpershelper wrote:

@rossputin 

I have 2 screenshots that rank the best under $500 phones.

Samsung was very weak in mid and low end phones for the longest time.. however, things changed since around 3 years ago... it came back strong with the introduction of A10/50/70 lines 

I love my:

iPhone

iPad

Mac book

Imac

Android, was there...won't go back.

Windows, was there...won't go back. 

@rossputin wrote:

@softech no strong reason.  A change.  Also more colour options.

You can buy a coloured case. 

@rossputin wrote:

Considering an iPhone for next phone to replace my Pixel 3aXL

What would you enthusiasts recommend?  I'm certainly not getting the 12 but I'd like the next phone to be a measurable upgrade from my current android. The SE seem to be the cheapest at $669 (for the 128 GB). Would that be a big improvement?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. How many years of IOS updates do you want?

3. How many GB are you looking for?

4. Do you want new or used?

5. Have you looked at the XR?

6. What size of screen do you want?

7. Do you want one with a physical home button?

Koombassi

Hello Rossputin. Do I understand correctly that you're considering obtaining an iPhone from PM? If so, I have a few things you may wish to consider. But, first of all I would strongly support a switch to an Apple iPhone. Presently I have an XR, which is available through PM. Hope this helps. 

rossputin

@softech no strong reason.  A change.  Also more colour options.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rossputin 

I have 2 screenshots that rank the best under $500 phones.

1.JPG2.JPG

curious.. as a current Pixel/Android user, what makes you decide to jump ship?

rossputin

Considering an iPhone for next phone to replace my Pixel 3aXL

What would you enthusiasts recommend?  I'm certainly not getting the 12 but I'd like the next phone to be a measurable upgrade from my current android. The SE seem to be the cheapest at $669 (for the 128 GB). Would that be a big improvement?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

If you have this year model for non 5G, I guess Yes. I guess my point is that get the newer model if possible for getting longer support.  As to 5G, if you really don't think you need it, you won't use the phone for that long, yes, non-5G model makes sense  🙂

rossputin

Yes, you might not use 5G today, but you might be on a network that offer 5G in 3 or 4 years.. at that time, you will be glad you have a phone that is 5G ready.

hi @softech ,

To use an example, there seems to be a $100-$200 difference between the 5G and non 5G Galaxy A52.

Also, I highly doubt I'd hang on the a phone for that long in case I switch to 5G. I like to upgrade every 2-3 years.

Thank you for the reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : gsmarena has a very good feature search to find phones. I start out from the cheapest, and how available they are and whether I like them. Then work my way up in price.

@rossputin  all phones these days like to say it's 5G to make it marketable.  

I suggest you to buy the latest one if cost is not an issue.. or if it is just a $50 difference is that you get longer software support, which means you will get to use the phone longer without worry.

Most phones these days only provide 2 or 3 years software and security support.  If you get a last year model, you left with 1 to 2 years support.    

Yes, you might not use 5G today, but you might be on a network that offer 5G  in 3 or 4 years.. at that time, you will be glad you have a phone that is 5G ready.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : Well...would you use 2G GSM? 🙂

rossputin

Thanks @softech 

Seen those but 5G versions.  I hate the idea of paying for technology I won't be using.

On Samsung site: A32  $369+tax,  A52 $550+tax.  Of course, you might get better deal at local stores or private sales. 

@rossputin 

Try foreign electronics the 400 block of east broadway. You need to call them to find out their current selection of international version cell phones. Probably closed today but will be open tomorrow. I bought my A320 there in 2017 for about $400.

Keep an eye on B&H Photo for deals their price for the One Plus 8 US$399 will put you in at just over $500 cdn +duty and taxes which you can get calculated at check out before you decide. But there are a few deals on the TCL 10 Pro at $299 (about $375 cdn) or the A72 at $419 but that might go on a flash sale along with the moto one at $349 at some point.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1618994-REG/oneplus_opin2019bulr_8_128gb_5g_uw.html

You can also get some deals on open box phones at swiftronics but keep in mind that credit card device insurance only covers brand new phones if you happen to have a premium credit card for these type of purchases.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones?sort_by=price-ascending

Anonymous
Not applicable

advice you to buy it from amazon if you like do online,
or somewhere your trust them is better and they have a warranty full one year is very important and return policy.

Good Luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : The store is just mail order now. I'm not sure of the exact model # that is there and what softech found. All one word - easy cellular dot ca. They have a model at 4. I bought mine there last summer for something less than 5.

I have the dual-SIM, NFC model. Some don't have NFC.

rossputin

Uhm, I'm looking for recommendations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin 

my dear which model and brand you want to buy it !

rossputin

Thanks @Anonymous ,

But those all seem to sell the same models.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung where to buy in Victoria, BC  visit HERE 

rossputin

Victoria, BC

which area you are in? province and city...

Need Help? Let's chat.