cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40% Say They Never Buy Samsung Again, Would You?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Interesting (unsurprising) articles out there claiming Samsung defectors en masse, most claim anywhere from 34 to 40% of clients will never buy another Samsung product after Note-Gate. Curious what about here, has recent poor performance of phone effected your future purchases? Cat Indifferent

http://bgr.com/2016/10/13/samsung-note-7-recall-news-loyalty-survey/

33 REPLIES 33

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@coleeeeee17 wow you just revived a 3.5-year dormant thread to tell us that you don't need a fast phone?  well, uhm, thanks?  I guess?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

coleeeeee17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you love apps, and a beautiful screen, it is the phone for a lot of people.

For me I'd prefer something that doesn't mind cheap chargers and can handle the elements or be more cost effective to replace. I already have a laptop so a fast snappy computer in a 5" case is not a requirement for me.

jeremyesq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@WearySky ... good point, charging port stopped working after 17 months despite having no damage (no bent pins) and rather casual usage (I was on a 200-minute, 500MB plan). My expectation is that a flagship device, if treated properly, should be durable.

mikasik

Have had a great experience with Galaxy s3 and S5 the last few years. Love the screens, replacable battery and expandable memory. Price is steep on release but I got my s5 for $250 like new a year ago and its good enough for me. I'd consider Samsung again in the future. It seems they have owned up to the problems they've had with the Note 7, I'm not sure what more you could ask for from a company who wants to keep their customers. 

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Slightly off topic, but samsung just had to recall 2.8mm washing machines in the US.  When it rains it pours!

Good job samsung just keep up that reputation.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jeremyesq wrote:
I will never buy Samsung again. Charging port died on my S3 (apparently a common issue) 

I don't think it's all that surprising that the charging port died on a 4+ year old phone.  Unless it died on you shortly after getting it (you don't give a timeline in your post).

jeremyesq
I will never buy Samsung again. Charging port died on my S3 (apparently a common issue) and after switching to Motorola (Moto E, then Moto X Play) realized how bloated it was with non-removable software. I later bought an extended battery and external battery charger for the S3 (to use it as a mini-tablet at home) and I find the battery consumption terrible, even after a factory reset.

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I exchanged my S6 for Zenfone 3 Deluxe. Best choice ever made. i like Samsung still i hate the touch-wiz OS. 

Mark2016

People are quick to complain but acid test is next year when Note8 is released

It's easy for Samsung customers to say this now, but in realty, time tends to heal a company's woulds.  Things get forogtten about, forgiven, and both people and companies are often given another chance.  The more time you wait, that same survey question would likely yield more favorable results for Samsung.  Unless, a particular person actually had a battery explode, nothing is forever or absolute.

I know that a potenetion safety issue is more severe than most  phone manufactuer issues.  But all of these companies have issues, from critism about lack of software updates, to poorly designed build quality, to constant defective camera sensors (HTC), or self cracking screens (Sony)  Eventually consumers run out of choices and will eventually have to chose some brand of phone to purhcase.

@Korth wrote:

Android in general is just bloated and awful.  It started off as a truly magnificent beast (when compared vs the iOS, WinCE, and many proprietary OS options of the time), but somewhere along the way too many heavy frameworks and basically-useless components got stuffed into the core OS builds.  I blame the device manufacturers - Samsung among them - for trying to embed more and more hardware components (like obsolete WLAN standards and useless BT protocols) onto their ASICs - but they do this because it's the cheapest way to add feature sets and lock down their not-really-Open-Source OS sourcecodes when mass-producing smart devices.

I couldn't have said it better myself

I still remember how excited I used to be with Android back in the day

It really started to go downhill in the 4 series (I think Honeycomb was awful) and by the time KitKat rolled out incompatibilities were huge stories

Android in general is just bloated and awful.  It started off as a truly magnificent beast (when compared vs the iOS, WinCE, and many proprietary OS options of the time), but somewhere along the way too many heavy frameworks and basically-useless components got stuffed into the core OS builds.  I blame the device manufacturers - Samsung among them - for trying to embed more and more hardware components (like obsolete WLAN standards and useless BT protocols) onto their ASICs - but they do this because it's the cheapest way to add feature sets and lock down their not-really-Open-Source OS sourcecodes when mass-producing smart devices.

Samsung is not at all blameless, but I don't place all the blame upon them alone.  Google, Huawei, HTC, LG, Sony, Freescale (Motorola), Toshiba, Marvell (Intel), Broadcom, Qualcomm, TI, and all the rest of the component/device manufacturers within the Android OHA are equally at fault.  Samsung is only the most obvious (and easiest to blame) among these because they are a dominant player in the smartphone market.

Of course the major non-Android options (Apple, Nokia/Symbian, HP/Palm, BlackBerry/RIM) have issues and problems of their own.

A fine way to fight the bloat is to root the device and gain full superuser/admin privileges.  Delete all that carrier-bundled junkware and bloatware and ("telemetric" or "QoS") spyware, remove any apps and components and data you don't want and you'll never use.  In fact, completely remove any "core" apps (for Alarms, Messaging, Calendar, etc) you don't like then replace them with whatever counterparts you prefer.  Then install a task manager app (and allow it full su access!) to kill any unwanted processes which insist on eating up processor or memory resources.

bmendes

Was never a fan of Samsung. They're over bloated versions of Android are just awful. 

WearySky

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
The quality was outstanding lol

Battery exploding issues aside (which, as far as we can tell, has only affected a small fraction of a percent of the number manufactured), it really was a fantastic phone.  Pity it comes with Touchwiz installed on it though.

Rockdaddy22
The quality was outstanding lol

Ionut
Still best phone up there. Of course exploding its not a feature which you are looking when you wanna buy a phone but I'm sure they will bring something new. After all the quality of that phone is outstanding.

WearySky

I had an original Galaxy S (Captivate), and an S3.  Moved away from Samsung because Touchwiz is kind of a mess (went with a Nexus 6p), but the Note 7 recall certainly wouldn't keep me away from going with Samsung in the future.  They've sold millions upon millions of phones for years and years - the way they handled this recall has been exemplary as far as I can tell (except for the early blunder of assuming that it was just the battery, when they hadn't confirmed it fully).  As far as I'm concerned, a strong Samsung is a good thing for all smartphone users - even if I don't particularly like their products, as long as they're popular there will always be incentive for their competitors to actually compete (as opposed to getting complacent and lazy).

Rockdaddy22
So just the RAM, and people still push the theory that Samsung supplied so many components.

hassantq

It looks like just the Ram this time around. They have been trying to push themselves away from Samsung.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/20/649-iphone-7-estimated-to-cost-apple-220-heres-the-component-breakdow...

hassantq

I would buy it still but after reading reviews.

Rockdaddy22
Can someone please give me a list of the Samsung parts in the new iPhones? I believe Samsung makes the RAM in the new iPhones not sure what else. I'm sure there must be a couple more components.

Rockdaddy22
I guess that's good that  exclusively uses TMSC for the A10 chip on the iPhone 7 and 7plus. Hopefully they'll also be cut out of the A10X production for the next gen iPads.  has slowly been trying to reduce its need for samsung components.

srlawren

@Korth as always, you are a fountain of information.  Thanks for that, it was a good read.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ryanwoo
Had two Samsung phones a few years back, both died on battery. Never buy Samsung again after.

Samsung (plus TSMC) is the exclusive manufacturer of all A-series processors used in Apple's iThings.  Along with many of the AMOLED touchscreens, solid-state capacitors and inductors and SMT regulators and pretty much half of the power-handling and charging circuitry found on the mainboard and other PCB modules - including those embedded within the battery itself.  (Not to mention all the associated bootloaders, firmwares, drivers, and a lot of the softwares, too.)

This engineering flaw could've happened just as easily with Apple iPhones, iPads, iPods, iMacs, iEtc.  In fact, I would've expected it to happen to iPhones simply because of the greater volume of units manufactured.

And it's hardly the first time mass recalls have been issued on lithium-ion devices.  Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Asus have all suffered from similar battery defect issues in past years.  Just last month the big villain was Acer.  I'm not sure why society at large thinks that shiny smartphones are any different (or any better) than other computing platforms based off all the same technologies.

Samsung evidently pushed the thresholds a little too far, they rushed the deadlines or chopped the budgets or cut too many corners off quality controls.  Technology and manufacturing are always lucrative but aggressively cut-throat industries - they can make it good, they can make it fast, or they can make it cheap, but to compete they can only pick two.

Understanding all this, my opinion about the quality of Samsung's products hasn't been influenced much by this technical flaw.  Rather, my opinion will be influenced by Samsung's reaction to it.

And so far Samsung has admitted the problem honestly and openly, they've made the recall process reasonably "safe" and efficient, and - most importantly - they've fully reimbursed Note 7 customers on all purchase/contract, taxes, duties, and shipping costs.  So far Samsung hasn't given credits or gift cards which can only be redeemed on other Samsung products, hasn't forced affected customers to trade in only for "equivalent" Samsung alternatives, hasn't really imposed any requirements for Note 7 owners to remain loyal to Samsung at all - they've just promptly sent full payments in whatever electronic and physical formats their customers request.  Without any of the usual runarounds or stalling - you don't need to provide proof-of-purchase, submit a support ticket, apply for an RMA, none of that stuff - you simply send them your Note 7 and they send you a refund, no questions asked.

Anyone who's ever dealt with a frustrating Asus or Dell or Apple RMA will realize how upfront, helpful and "apologetic" Samsung has been about this whole embarassment.  I'm not a Samsung diehard - they make some good stuff I like and some good stuff I don't like, and there's lots of alternatives - but so far Samsung seems to be proving itself highly ethical, responsible, and loyal to its Note 7 customers.  All that being said, I think anyone who blindly points at this Note 7 recall and vehemently declaring They Never Buy Samsung Again is just being stubborn and ignorant (as in, just believing what they want to believe while remaining selectively uninformed about the background context and facts).  Perhaps my opinions and decisions about Samsung are wrong - but I like to think that I at least formed them without bias and with some thought about all the relevant facts.

danette77

@kav2001c Sorry no Samsung for me. The higher price point kept me away before and the explosions will definitely keep me away now! Smiley Surprised Motorola has been a favorite of mine for some time now, very good bang for my buck, but no literal bangs thankfully.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Other than this battery issue, Samsung makes great hardware... it's their touchwiz customization and non-removable useless bloatware that keeps me away from that brand. Some of their apps potentially drain the battery.

Also, their model numbers are super confusing. For example, the Note 2 is not just a Note 2, there are several submodels of it made for different markets. Even within the same model, you'd have different chipsets too, their own exynos SOC or a snapdragon SOC. For an average user, this probably doesn't really matter, but for those that want to root, it is a nightmare.

Rockdaddy22
@NDesai obviously  put the parts together in such an innovative way it avoids explosions 🙂

I think you could count the number of Samsung components on 1 hand that are in a new iPhone 7, out
of how many parts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

srlawren

@NDesai Samsung makes stuff for just about everyone, and has for many years.  Their storage chips are widely used, and I believe they do other chipset manufacturing for various OEMs.  Their screens are also very commonly sourced by many phone manufacturers, particularly their aweome AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays.  I'm not sure how popular thier battery subsidiary was with other OEMs, but I'm guessing it's going to be less-so going forward!   

BTW this isn't just about phones, they make components used by many manufactureres in computers, laptops, tablets, appliances, and probably thousands of other embedded uses I'm neglecting here.

srlawren

@McLaren and @fktw I agree wholeheartedly!  I actually really like Samsung's hardware (exploding phones withstading!), but dislike TouchWiz and most importantly the premium pricing.  Hardware-wise, the S7 is actually 99% perfect for me, as I love the managable 5.1" size and the feature/spec set is great.  But the pricing and TouchWiz kept me away.  Until those things changes, a Samsung phone is equally as unlikely in my future as it was in my past, which is to say almost certainly not happening.

My alternative was to get a OnePlus 3 for $520 CDN.  Vs. the full-priced $900 unlocked unsubsidized S7, this was a no-brainer for me.  

However, I recently helped a friend move from her old Q10 on Telus to an unlocked S7 on PM (http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Practical-example-of-how-PM-saves-you-big-...).  At the time, the S7 was marked down from $900 to $800, and they had a $200 trade-in deal on ANY old phoe, bringing it down to $600.  Had that been an option and something  I was aware of when I chose the OP3, I would have had a tougher time deciding, as the $80 difference isn't nearly as difficult, and the OP3 is actually a bit too big for my hands/preferences.  

Need Help? Let's chat.