cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G vs 4G

joycho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm using a 3G data plan, but I can see 4G sign on my phone.

I could restrict 4G data and use only 3G data with my previous phone.

I cannot find it with my present phone, Galaxy S7.

Is it okay just to keep using it with 4G sign?

Screenshot_20171002-152719.jpg

@Moderator_Team

8 REPLIES 8

edmonch2013
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think your phone will still show 4G but your speed is capped due to 3G plan. Even your phone shows 4G but you only can download up to 2.5MB

Add me to the list of those who wish honest and upfront descriptions are used on all services.

If PM really wants to advertise a 3G only plan, make it as such.

As @srlawren, stated it is  4G throttled to a lower speed.  You are not just runnin on the 3G network  IF there is LTE in your area that is what you will be connected to

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

@Jeremy_M I can't figure out why you guys continue to confuse your customer base and potential customer base with this "3G" data plan terminology.  We keep getting questions like this, because the naming is misleading and confusing.  I'm going to ask for about the 37th time that you please reconsider the naming of this throttled data speed offering, because right now it's wrong.

Totally agree, it would be far easier to remove any reference to 3G or LTE for that matter in any of the plan.  Simply state for the throttle plans, what the maximum rate is and for the full speed plans, call it full or unthrottled speed. 

Mr-Bump

The 3G plan still runs 4G which is why your phone is telling you that; however, the connection is throttled to 2.5mbps.

Very confusing indeed.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jeremy_M I can't figure out why you guys continue to confuse your customer base and potential customer base with this "3G" data plan terminology.  We keep getting questions like this, because the naming is misleading and confusing.  I'm going to ask for about the 37th time that you please reconsider the naming of this throttled data speed offering, because right now it's wrong.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mattdxb

If I read correctly, the 3G speed tier is really just 4G LTE but at a limited speed rate. So, there's nothing really wrong with the 4G icon on your phone

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi joycho,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'll be glad to answer your question regarding your data plan speeds.

As long as you are using a 3G Data plan, you will be connected to this data speed and you will be not charged for a 4G/LTE plan. However, if you'd like to make sure that you are on a 3G Data, please send us a Private Message.

I hope that I answer your inquiry.

Cheers

Adboulaye

Need Help? Let's chat.