cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G old phone

sugarorange5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As I know "PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but speeds are throttled to 3G".

I have an old cell phone Moto G XT1032 (3G), would this phone has problem when I using Public Mobile network in some area ?  I do not mind the speed. Should I upgrade my cell phone?

Thanks information.

4 REPLIES 4

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It should be good for now. At some point, 3G is being phased out -- more aggressively in the US, I think. Last I heard, a target for Canadian networks was 2025, so who knows. I'd use the phone for now and if it last that long, it will have had more shelf life than most devices. 🙂 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sugarorange5 , 3G data speed is actually faster than LTE as it is not throttled.  Latency is a little slower though.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is compatible with PM based on these specs.

https://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@sugarorange5 wrote:

As I know "PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but speeds are throttled to 3G".

I have an old cell phone Moto G XT1032 (3G), would this phone has problem when I using Public Mobile network in some area ?  I do not mind the speed. Should I upgrade my cell phone?

Thanks information.

@sugarorange5 The LTE is for data only and it is throttled to 3MB/sec. People say that to stay on the 3G network for data is faster. Voice needs 3G to work. Your phone has the needed 3G / HSDPA frequencies 850 & 1900. You are good to go with it.

Need Help? Let's chat.