cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd phone... an old Blackberry

CatCanyon1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good day,

This morning I tried to hook up my new SIM card to my old BlackBerry.

Before I signed up for this 2nd account I checked the IMEI number and all looked well...UNTIL...I got a note on my phone saying that my phone was locked and I needed a MEP code. 🤔

I've been trying to unlock the phone, but, alas I can't get the code to do the required input... any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks...

@CatCanyon1

AKA @CatCanyon

33 REPLIES 33

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CatCanyon1 

Hi, your blackberry 9800 (Torch) has an ancient OS. I'd be surprised if it works with public mobile. Let us know 🙂

CatCanyon1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning. Thanks for responding. Il check out e-bay.

My old provider was Bell. The phone model is 9800. I checked the IMEI before trying to set it up and it was compatible.

So, thanks forre pointing out the next step. I'll try Bell first.

@CatCanyon1 

@CatCanyon1 wrote:

Good day,

This morning I tried to hook up my new SIM card to my old BlackBerry.

Before I signed up for this 2nd account I checked the IMEI number and all looked well...UNTIL...I got a note on my phone saying that my phone was locked and I needed a MEP code. 🤔

I've been trying to unlock the phone, but, alas I can't get the code to do the required input... any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks...

@CatCanyon1

AKA @CatCanyon

This thread has been moved from The Lounge to Phones & Hardware.

MEP refers to unlock code. Your phone is locked to another carrier.  To unlock, you can contact the original carrier.  You can also purchase an unlock code.  I believe they're about $1on eBay.

Which model is this phone?  If it's really old, it may not be compatible.  In addition, devices running Blackberry OS before version 10 cannot use Public Mobile data services.

One you get the unlock code, you may want to take a look at a website with some instructions such as this one: https://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/blackberry-imei-mep-unlock-code-p-135.html

Need Help? Let's chat.