cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2G Sim Card ???

jamesgboutilier
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I wanted to buy a Smart Watch that has a sim card slot built in so you don't need to pair it with your actual phone.

It requires a 2G Sim Card.

Are PM cards 2G ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jamesgboutilier wrote:

Thanks

Does anyone know if there are any Android Smart Watches that "will" work fully (without having to pair your cell phone) on Public Mobile ?

Samsung Gear S using nano SIM card on PM 3G 850 / 1900

samsung-gear-s-new

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gear_s-6620.php

3G bandsHSDPA 900 / 2100
 HSDPA 850 / 1900

PM Network Frequencies.JPG

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jamesgboutilier wrote:

Thanks

Does anyone know if there are any Android Smart Watches that "will" work fully (without having to pair your cell phone) on Public Mobile ?

I've done some quick research and most these standalone Android watches do not have conventional sim cards, instead they have eSims which are built-in. Public Mobile is the cheaper part of Telus and as seen on another thread does not support these special eSims.

The only watch I have confidence in working with Public Mobile is the LG Urbane which I cannot find available in Canada, except for possibly Ebay and other similar sites.

51yHzMCTlhL

freq.png

The 1st gen (LG W120L) supports all Public Mobile bands.

The 2nd gen (LG W200A) supports Public Mobile's 3G Bands.

It'd be much simpler to go with a Smart Watch that pairs with Android phones or switch to a mainstream provider which supports eSims for current watches.

Hope this helps.

jamesgboutilier

Thanks

@jamesgboutilier wrote:

watches say, regular call features work with any network, BUT, to receive and send texts, or use messenger/facebook, a 2G sim is required.

I wouldn't rely on that information if that's how the manufactuer worded it. There isn't a device in the world that will work with "any network". Further, although some carriers required customers to update to a new sim card to use LTE, sim cards are not fixed to one network type.  It's a match between phone/device and network compatiblity that is needed. Either way, there is no 2g network at Public Mobile,. so it's not going to work. 

jamesgboutilier

watches say, regular call features work with any network, BUT, to receive and send texts, or use messenger/facebook, a 2G sim is required.

@Triguy wrote:

PM speeds are throttled 3G.

It's the LTE network speeds that get throttled. However, that isn't related to the compatibility with any 2g network.

jamesgboutilier

Thanks

Darn... really wanted a Smart Watch.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@jamesgboutilier   nope,  the only network running 2g is Rogers and its not for much longer because it will be phased out. Someone on here had that same watch the other day, search it up in the community and you might find more answers about it

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM speeds are throttled 3G.

Rogers has a 2G network but they intend to decommission their 2G network starting December 31, 2020.

Need Help? Let's chat.