cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

walmart payment card

hesho89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hmm, so, has anyone bought a payment card from walmart?   I just bought 2 (2 x $28) and i just noticed that i got charged tax on them.  I am trying to understand why i am getting charged tax on it.   Has any other bought payment cards from walmart before and had this happen?

6 REPLIES 6

@hesho89 

Indeed @computergeek541 has explained it correctly. Taxes are paid at the time of purchase. With a voucher or a RTP ( real time payment) you purchase the top amount $25 and the taxes are charged   in your case  $3 (15%). When you lioad it on your account thru self serve or via 611 $25 is there for your use as a taxes paid amount.

When you top up using a card in your account it will show $25 when you confirm it then will show $25 + $3 (tax)=$28 and you confirm the $28 charge to your card and submit it. If you allow autopay to do an automatic payment it will show $25 in your payment history but your card will show a $28 charge from public mobile.

Now some people will register a card for autopay to get the data bonus and the $2 reward but still pay by voucher. A good example of part of the reasoning behind this would be an oil sands worker from the Maritimes with a N.S. phone number. If they paid within their account based on their area code they would be charged 15% tax or $3 on a $25 payment. But if they buy a voucher in Alberta they will be charged 5% (gst only) so the $25 voucher w/tax is $26.25 saving $2.50 in taxes.

The $25 top up stays $25 in every way the purchase is made only the tax or possible fees ( RTP fees are typically $1) will vary depending on location of purchase (province, online retailer, self serve account, voucher, RTP, or area code of phone number.)

@hesho89 wrote:

wait, so then, wouldn't i be charged taxes twice then?   Once for buying a payment card, and then again when the balance is due?

Taxes only get charged at the time of payment. Your self serve acccount doesn't show taxes. For example, f you need a $25 top up voucher to pay for a $25 plan, you pay $25 plus tax for a $25 voucher which would be enough to pay for a $25 plan.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@hesho89 wrote:

wait, so then, wouldn't i be charged taxes twice then?   Once for buying a payment card, and then again when the balance is due?

You will not be charged tax again on the vouchers used for renewal.

hesho89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

dmmosk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

that's normal! I got charged tax as well.

@hesho89 wrote:

hmm, so, has anyone bought a payment card from walmart?   I just bought 2 (2 x $28) and i just noticed that i got charged tax on them.  I am trying to understand why i am getting charged tax on it.   Has any other bought payment cards from walmart before and had this happen?

You have been charged correctly. Tax always gets charged at the time of voucher or top up purchase.

Need Help? Let's chat.